New DS-2CD2335 camera with 5.3.3 firmware recovery?

Mickazee

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been the happy owner of a few 2CD2332 cameras for over a year and recently decided to purchase an additional camera. I noticed that the Aliexpress stores were selling the 2CD2335 camera to replace the 2332 so went ahead and bought that.

On setting it up over the weekend I entered in a new admin password (+ confirmed), restarted and then found that my new admin password wasn't working (??!!) - I must have typed it incorrectly or something else went amiss!

Anyway, a lot of googling later and I've discovered the following things:

* Password recovery must be done via Hikvision but there's a nice tool on this very forum that allows you to do password recovery using the SADP application, serial # and other inputs.
* Except that tool isn't compatible with the firmware on my camera (5.3.3 build 150803)
* I e-mailed Hikvision as per the instructions but now have made the discovery that the camera I've bought is a Chinese model (CH in the serial #) which is modified to display English. Hikvision kindly told me to go jump.
* I've contacted the seller on Aliexpress (Network Camera Store) but haven't received a reply. This may be due to Chinese new year though. I'm not sure how they will be able to help?

So have I just bought myself an expensive paper weight? What are my options here to factory reset it?

* From my reading on these forums (and I'm new to all of this unfortunately) I can use TFTP to upload a new firmware image to the camera but:
a) This will reset my cameras username/password but also reset the firmware to Chinese only.
or
b) Brick the camera

If uploading a new firmware does work (and doesn't brick it). I'm reading about MTD5 and MTD6? How does this come into play?

I use BlueIris as my camera software so if uploading a 5.3.3 firmware image succeeds I can use google translate on the camera setup pages to get the camera going? Once it's setup I never have needed to login to the camera.

Is it possible to downgrade my particular camera to 5.2.5? (the firmware label on the camera itself indicates it is a 5.3.3 original) which I can modify to English?

Thankyou to anyone who can offer some help!

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah China is on holiday right now I think for like another week? They might be able to help when they get back as of course they are already in China and can ask Hikvision for 2xx5 reset.

I don't think TFTP resets passwords on 2xx5s anyway.

Ignore the MTD stuff - that's for 2xx2 cameras.

Make sure you don't have a NVR or software app that is trying to repeatedly login to the camera, too many attempts and you'll need to wait 30 minutes or restart the camera as the admin account gets locked out.

rearanger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you sure the password recovery does not work??? I used it on a DS-2CD2135F-IS 5.3.3 150803
instead of it going back to 123456789abc it went to 12345

Mickazee

n3wb
Reaction score
you sure the password recovery does not work??? I used it on a DS-2CD2135F-IS 5.3.3 150803
instead of it going back to 123456789abc it went to 12345
K3SjqHg.png
So in the SADP tool I can see all 5 cameras. When I select my old 2332-I cameras the panel on the right changes to an input for "security code" but the 2335 camera instead has an export/import button and no place to input a security code. :(

rearanger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
lol don't know then. all my cams have input "security code" I am using version 2.2 sadp

DS-2CD2135F-IS 5.3.3 150803
DS-2CD2135F-IS 5.3.3 150514

both have security code option. think you can also use ivms 4200

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but the 2335 camera instead has an export/import button and no place to input a security code. :(
The reset is handled by exporting a coded file, sending it to Hikvision, who sign and encode it and send it back, then you import it into the camera to reset the password.
Hence the export / import buttons.
This is the newer, secure method for the newer cameras. The older cameras rely on a camera-specific 'security code', but the method can be circumvented.

Mickazee

n3wb
Reaction score
lol don't know then. all my cams have input "security code" I am using version 2.2 sadp

DS-2CD2135F-IS 5.3.3 150803
DS-2CD2135F-IS 5.3.3 150514

both have security code option. think you can also use ivms 4200
It must be a combination of both firmware and hardware that decides which password reset method the SADP and iVMS tool uses maybe

OH well, I suppose I'll sit tight and see if the seller gets back to me on alieexpress.

There's no other ways to factory reset these things are there?

Mickazee

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

An update. The seller off aliexpress got back to me but the response wasn't helpful in the slightest.

"sorry,the camera can not TFTP firmware.please kindly noted,thx"

Arrgh!

Is it definitely the case that reflashing the firmware won't reset the camera to defaults? At this stage I'm not bothered if it resets to Chinese but I need to find a firmware that won't brick it. The outside of the camera says it is version 5.3.5 but the FW running on the camera is 5.3.3. Theoretically if I have a 5.3.5 firmware image that will be accepted by the camera right?

My other thought - is there any Hikvision support contacts or distributors who would perform the admin reset? All I need is the devicekey.xml file for my camera. Any one have any suggestions?

It feels ridiculous that these cameras can't be factory reset. If I had of known they the aliexpress versions were dodgy I don't know if I would have risked the purchase. Caveat emptor I suppose.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Someone said USA Tech support sometimes are sometimes more helpful. I've not tried that.

You could try 5.3.5 Chinese which should be accepted - but I don't think it resets the password. The firmware link is on here somewhere. Don't bother with versions earlier than 5.3.5 if you camera came from the factory (not the seller) with 5.3.5

Others have said older version of SADP permit resetting password with just a security code (see sticky thread) as opposed to signed RSA import/export .xml but I've not verified it and doubt it until someone double checks.

Make sure you don't have a NVR or software app that is trying to repeatedly login to the camera, too many attempts and you'll need to wait 30 minutes or restart the camera as the admin account gets locked out.

Or you could also contact the seller again and make it clear you are not asking for TFTP help, but here's the export file, please send to Hikvision to get the import file. You shouldn't reset your camera while waiting though as the code will change

Mickazee

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Enabler.

Will try USA support. When I contacted the overseas support they first asked me to fill in some information on my country of origin, serial # etc and then directed me to Oceania support who said go jump.

I'll also try send my export.xml file to the aliexpress seller and see if they can get Hikvision to get the import.

I did try a few different versions of the SADP tool and iVMS-4200 but either they didn't show the camera at all or when I clicked on the 2332 it had the classic password input or the 2335 had the import/export xml.

Thanks for your help

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess you already tried your password with CAPS lock on just in case it was accidentally on when you set your new password.

Mickazee

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that when I woke up this morning and saw the e-mail from the seller I actually had that thought in my head "have I checked caps lock?". Because the activation screen asks you to enter your password twice and I'm 99% positive I wouldn't have messed up the entry twice.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to check before I left for work but I'm pretty sure in my many attempts at trying to do enter in a password I checked capslock. I will double check though!

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a maximum of characters you can set? maybe if you exceeded the maximum charachters, it didint take the last entries.
( i had that problem once ) altough the chance is little.

tn6478

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i have about 12 2335 camera I can reset the password just find with sadp tools.

Mickazee

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess you already tried your password with CAPS lock on just in case it was accidentally on when you set your new password.
So the good news is that the supplier was going to get the key off hikvison for me after chinese new year.

The better news is that it was indeed caps lock that was keeping me out (dunce hat in)

On the upside I've learnt a lot about firmware on these things!

Thanks for the assistance all.