New From California

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking for a while now, but as I dwell deeper into the surveillance world, I find myself asking more questions and spending more money!

My background is in IT, so I'm pretty knowledgeable with computers and networking, my current job has me sometimes dealing with DVR's and so I have made a small hobby out of it for my personal use as well. I just recently built myself a PC based DVR using an Intel i7-7700 Kaby Lake cpu with 16GB of ram. Have it running on a Windows 10 64 bit platform through an SSD drive and for storage I'm using a WD 4TB surveillance drive.

I'm using BI and loving it although I'm still learning how to use some of it's functions. I do enjoy using the Ui2 remote viewing software that i found through here so thank you for that. I also downloaded BITools with I'm just getting into.

For cameras, i first started off using SriCams i found through amazon, I had a total of 4 of them and i was using an old laptop running BI, so it was extremely slow and un-reliable. I have since taken down those cams due to construction at my home and now only have my 1 Amcrest poe 4MP camera. I have it setup on a pine tree over looking my mailbox and general street view.

Now for a question, what is the best way to setup a camera through BI, i have played around with the discovery features and it finds the camera, but I'm not sure if the stream is the best. When i go through the cameras GUI and set it to the max resolution, BI blows up the camera to the point where you can no longer see much but a small portion of where its "zoomed" into. I can't zoom out of it as well, I guess my question is how do you maximize the resolution through BI. I'd like the ability to read some license plates that aren't too far away from the cameras view. I tried the Anamorphic option but didn't really see a difference in the quality of something when i zoom in.

Sorry for the book, i have already downloaded the resource guide from this sub-forum and will continue to do some research but thought I'd throw that out there. I'm still learning things in BI, every day I make changes and see how they work while at work, get home and adjust my settings. Plans are to replace the 4 Sricam's with 4 poe cams, I have all my cat5 already ran just need to slowly spend the money on new cameras and a poe switch.