New from Florida need some insight on new system

mcleary333

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new camera system setup been reading like crazy to get a crash course of what's out there but can't find a lot of systems that fit what I'm looking for here's the list so far

- 8ch
- poe
- microphone in camera
- night vision
- 2 Tera byte with option to add
- hd 1080p or better
- remote viewing (phone tablet)
- no extra fees after purchase
- need to be mountable to wall not ceiling and have full function/or a wall mount (live in Florida have hurricane winds had a series already but when mounted to wall they could only move up down or left right not both so had to return)
- thought I wanted dome cams (more aero dynamic then bullet) but everyone seems to say turret are the way to go outdoor these will be used for day night survallence around personal property

3 systems I found that fit what I'm looking for

Swann security - heard have bad app setup for remote viewing / service
GW security - some good some bad reviews
Tmezon cameras- say audio mic but don't say in cameras (think maybe just one external mic setup)

If I can put a system together that will work better then these let me know as long as it meets the criteria I listed I'm game to do so

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it was me I'd go:
  • Windows 10 PC running Blue Iris, 4th generation i5 or better, 8GB RAM, as big a WD Purple hard drive as you can afford. (Blue Iris). People on here tend to buy Dell Optiplex 5040, 7040 etc systems off ebay with warranty.
  • Blue Iris companion phone app
  • Decent quality PoE Switch (go with a known brand)
  • Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras. 2MP and have good night vision (Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z))
Will definitely knock the shit out of a Swann system. Can't speak for the other systems.

mcleary333

n3wb
Reaction score
If it was me I'd go:
  • Windows 10 PC running Blue Iris, 4th generation i5 or better, 8GB RAM, as big a WD Purple hard drive as you can afford. (Blue Iris). People on here tend to buy Dell Optiplex 5040, 7040 etc systems off ebay with warranty.
  • Blue Iris companion phone app
  • Decent quality PoE Switch (go with a known brand)
  • Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras. 2MP and have good night vision (Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z))
Will definitely knock the shit out of a Swann system. Can't speak for the other systems.

Any experience with milestone would that be a good option seeing as I plan to run 8 or less cameras over blue iris and would milestone have phone viewing?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never used it. I just know BI works....