New from France

Reaction score
I am renting a holiday villa on the french riviera and I need a system to control what's going there when it is not occupied.

The villa connected to Internet through a VDSL+ line (15Mbps up and 1+Mbps down). Will move to fiber when it is ready as it under deployment in my neighborhood.
As the house is pretty large (270sqm), I've also deployed three google wifi routers .

Indoor, I currently run a 3 Piper NV cloud based system (camera + multi sensor + siren) which also monitors zwave switches from Aeon, a zwave door sensor from Aeon and a Fibaro PIR. It is working very well and was perfect indoor for my needs. Unfortunately the company who did and sold it has been bought and the system has been discontinued since autumn 2017. It is still running but I am not expecting it will last a long time .....

For outdoor, thanks to hours and hours of readings of this incredibly valuable forum I am now considering doing myself the following installation :

- replace my current modem/router by an Asus DSL-AC68U as my ISP current router does not support openvpn nor any other vpn server nor DDNS. I will setup the vpn server(don't know yet which one I will choose between openvpn and L2TP/IpSec). Probably L2TP/Ipsec as from what I've read here, the client is natively installed on most smartphones.

- install and configure VPN clients on the smartphones we are using.

- buy and install a 16 ports BV-Tech POE switch. Will simply connect it to the Asus router using one of its gigabit Ethernet port. Remark : 16 ports is more than I need for the cameras but I guess might use the remaining ports for other sensors sooner or later in order to get more automation from blueiris or anything else.

- buy and install a Dell OptiPlex 5040 - Core i5 6500 3.2 GHz - 8 Go RAM - 200Go SSD on which I will add a Western Digital purple drive. It will run the BlueIris server.

- Will connect the BlueIris server to the second gigabit Ethernet port of the switch. I've got this conguration from Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk. Should be enough as I won't have more than 8 cameras outdoor. Will install the good driver for the graphic Intel chip in order to avoid memory leaks.

- deploy cat5e cables from my poe switch to the cameras.

- buy and install 6 cameras to start with. From what I've read I will likely buy Starlight 2MP bullet cameras from Andy. Probably Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) as it is warmly recommended and I guess the 12mm max focal is far enough for the size of my plot (we are in the city and there is not more than 10 meters from the facade to the neighbors fence).

- Will Configure alerts, zone .... in BlueIris thanks to the nice video tutorials which may be found here

Even though I have already spent a lot of hours on this forum in order to avoid asking yet another time the same "Newbie" questions, I am sure I have misunderstood a lot of things.
Don't hesitate to let me know. I know I've still a long way ahead of me but I like it.....

-
-