New from Texas - Interested in IP/Onvif Interop w H265/265+

Jeff-in-Tx

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new and came looking for information on Camera / NVR interoperability between different manufacturers. I seen Onvif profile T is supposed to address, but many still show only profile S support but list H.265. How can I know which cameras will work with a Hikvision or LTS NVR? I'm told LTS is OEM Hikvision. I'm afraid to buy stuff only to find out it won't work together (or only works H.264).

Also interested in knowing if any lists exist showing which cameras use which Sony Starvis Sensors (Starvis, etc)? Are there opinions on Ambarella vs Sony for different sensors/electronics? Many years ago, I purchased Speco v1 Intensifier cameras and while grainy at night, the low-light sensitivity was super impressive. What is the best low-light cameras in the 2MP/4MP-30FPS on the market and how do I find those? So many questions!

Jeff-in-Tx

n3wb
Reaction score
Great Cliff Notes (very thorough design guidelines) ! Although, interop is still unclear between different vendors. It appears newer TVI (>2MP) may be a better hi-res option for compatibility. It's too bad these IP camera manufacturers can't solve this problem in this modern age. ONVIF is based upon very dated (old) web protocols that are no longer used in the modern web world. Everything I've read says AXIS was behind ONVIF but sadly no one thought ahead in terms of compression improvements as profile S doesn't support anything beyond H2.64. I have read that some manufacturers with profile S support have augmented it to support "Media 2" in ONVIF (advanced media formats) but given there is no publication of this, it's impossible to tell what will work with what short of buying stuff and testing it. Have I missed something?

This site seems to be heavy on Dahau info and less so on other manufacturers.

I came here searching for products I could recommend to a friend for his business that would not have to be supported by me. That means it can't be a science project requiring ongoing expertise at the customer end. Hence, my investigation of LTS (Hikvision-rebranded). I have watched the CCTV market evolve since D1 days and it's got a long way to go.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simply put, if using an NVR, use the same brand of cameras if you expect all features to work well.

Some rebrands, strip out features that are included in the OEM version s.

Such as lts, may not include some of the hik standard features.