New Guy From Michigan

KevinR

n3wb
Reaction score
Planning a camera & NVR install for my residence. For now I am looking to do 4 indoor cameras(cubes) and 2 outdoor cameras (turret or bullet). My main concern is indoor because I have a severely disabled son and we have a nurse in the house at least 12 hours a day. One camera would cover my son's room at all times and the other indoor cams cover other main areas of the house so I know what the nurses are up to if we are out of the house.
I've been reading these forums for a couple weeks now and seeing a wealth of information and practical experience.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Planning a camera & NVR install for my residence. For now I am looking to do 4 indoor cameras(cubes) and 2 outdoor cameras (turret or bullet). My main concern is indoor because I have a severely disabled son and we have a nurse in the house at least 12 hours a day. One camera would cover my son's room at all times and the other indoor cams cover other main areas of the house so I know what the nurses are up to if we are out of the house.
I've been reading these forums for a couple weeks now and seeing a wealth of information and practical experience.
Cube cameras are solid, however the are a bit large and stand out. If you want something a little more seemless that will blend in the home easier you might consider the mini dome. DS-2CD2532F

I've used them indoors and am very happy with the results

KevinR

n3wb
Reaction score
Cube cameras are solid, however the are a bit large and stand out. If you want something a little more seemless that will blend in the home easier you might consider the mini dome. DS-2CD2532F

I've used them indoors and am very happy with the results
Actually, for my son's room I would most prefer a covert PIR motion detector camera with mic, but I'm uncertain about compatibility with NVR, which will probably be a Snap VS-2208 Pro+. The covert cam I'm looking at is ONVIF 2.04 so I would probably get video, just uncertain whether I would get audio as well. I've reached out to Snap about compatibility and waiting for response. I used motion detector cams in a security position before I retired and found that nobody ever notices them, even in a small office or residential setting.

KevinR

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, for my son's room I would most prefer a covert PIR motion detector camera with mic, but I'm uncertain about compatibility with NVR, which will probably be a Snap VS-2208 Pro+. The covert cam I'm looking at is ONVIF 2.04 so I would probably get video, just uncertain whether I would get audio as well. I've reached out to Snap about compatibility and waiting for response. I used motion detector cams in a security position before I retired and found that nobody ever notices them, even in a small office or residential setting.
Dang auto-correct, should be Qnap, not Snap

MichiganBroadband.com

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Kevin I'm also a new guy here in Michigan.
I'm a computer/network systems guy and am building a nice DVR system for a client.
I've been using the inexpensive Reolink bullet style cameras for over two years now.
Even for indoor stuff.
I've been nothing but happy with the performance and reliability of these.
We had one outside all summer and winter last year and it's still going strong.
And for only 70 bucks.... wow.

Take care will keep an eye on your progress..
I'm having some issues with Blue Iris Software CPU over utilization I hope to get sorted better here.

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Note that reolink is garbage and should particularly not be used with blue iris...they dont offer an adjustable iframe interval.

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check out the mini domes that @zero-degrees mentioned. They have a built-in mic and have alarm I/O built into the camera. If you aren't satisfied with the motion detection of the camera and want to use a PIR, you can wire it to the alarm in and have that trigger recording. Just curious, why would you not want to record 24/7 in your case?

KevinR

n3wb
Reaction score
Check out the mini domes that @zero-degrees mentioned. They have a built-in mic and have alarm I/O built into the camera. If you aren't satisfied with the motion detection of the camera and want to use a PIR, you can wire it to the alarm in and have that trigger recording. Just curious, why would you not want to record 24/7 in your case?
My tendency to lean toward cube cams versus mini domes just reflects my own opinion on what is more or less likely to draw the eye and be more noticeable in a residential setting. Others may disagree with that assessment and that's fine. Regarding 24/7 recording, inside the house I'm mainly concerned with the 12 hours a day that the nurses are in the house, particularly in my disabled son's room. The other 12 hours my wife and are are the caregivers and trust isn't an issue. I would probably also schedule interior recording for the night period when I know we're all in bed. Exterior cams would be set for 24/7 recording. I do like the idea of the Dahua Starlight turrets for outside.