New Guy - Needs Advice - Lyric?

MR.R3D

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

My wife wants an alarm system for our house so I am looking for help from the experts here.

I am targeting the system to prevent smash and grabs. Anything really valuable will be stored in a security box in a bank away from the house.

My layers of security
  1. Street lighting
  2. Alarm company sign/stickers
  3. IP-cam outside /inside
  4. Alarm system ?????
Currently looking at a DIY system since I really do not like paying subscription fees. The house does not have any alarm system now. I really just want it to be like a car alarm. Since most criminals are in and out within a few minutes and the police would be too slow to prevent anything.

Does anyone have experience with Honeywell and specifically Lyric AIO?
Any reason why I should not use Lyric?
Any other devices recommendations?
Did I miss anything or should I consider anything?
Vendor of choice/ where should I buy my gear from?

Thanks in advice
Mr.R3D

Reaction score
What's your budget for the system?
How many entry points are you trying to protect?
How many interior motion detectors do you need?
Do you have any pets and can they roam around the house when you're gone?

AlarmGrid caters to DIYers and in my opinion they offer the best customer service when compared to other alarm companies.

The Lyric is a good AIO alarm when compared to other AIO systems. However, it may not be the best choice if you don't want to pay for monitoring or pay $10.00 a month for self-monitoring. If you don't use either of those options you will get a communication trouble on the system. I've only used the system briefly so I'm not sure if that trouble can be disabled.

Honestly, if you're not interested in paying any type of monthly fee you're better off getting the Honeywell Vista 20p paired with a 6160RF keypad and an envisalink 4. You'll have to run wires to at least one keypad, siren and an ethernet cable for the envisalink 4. The envisalink 4 is a 3rd party module that connects to the control panel and allows remote control of the system from your smart phone or computer. It'll also send you text/email alerts for alarms, disarms, troubles etc and it'll do all of this without a monthly fee.

Keep in mind, the system can also monitor for fire and CO. You should consider adding those features to your home security system. Intrusion isn't the only threat to your safety.

MR.R3D

n3wb
Reaction score
  1. My budget - under 1K
  2. Front door, Garage door, rear door 2 windows on the ground floor, and second floor has 4 windows: 9?
  3. Motion detectors ? 2? - not sure how much i would need.
  4. Pets in the future
  5. Plan to get some added sirens/smoke/co2 monitors for the lyric
  6. I am also a bit intrested in home automation in the future. So the lyric looks like it "could" help.
  7. Good call on the Communication Trouble for monitoring. - Going to ask alarm grid about that.
  8. Intresting call out on the envisalink. To be honest, i want something that i can pretty much set and forget besides the occasional new battery. The lyric seems that way.
  9. Good call out on the Fire/CO. I believe the siren / control panel should alert if we are in danger.
Your insight helps! I was thinking about getting monitoring but using wifi only which is about $15 a month with network connect. However, my city needs a permit for alarm systems which run $100 a year if its centrally monitored. :/ I'll call my home insurance company to see how much of a discount i will get.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
  1. My budget - under 1K
  2. Front door, Garage door, rear door 2 windows on the ground floor, and second floor has 4 windows: 9?
  3. Motion detectors ? 2? - not sure how much i would need.
  4. Pets in the future
  5. Plan to get some added sirens/smoke/co2 monitors for the lyric
  6. I am also a bit intrested in home automation in the future. So the lyric looks like it "could" help.
  7. Good call on the Communication Trouble for monitoring. - Going to ask alarm grid about that.
  8. Intresting call out on the envisalink. To be honest, i want something that i can pretty much set and forget besides the occasional new battery. The lyric seems that way.
  9. Good call out on the Fire/CO. I believe the siren / control panel should alert if we are in danger.
Your insight helps! I was thinking about getting monitoring but using wifi only which is about $15 a month with network connect. However, my city needs a permit for alarm systems which run $100 a year if its centrally monitored. :/ I'll call my home insurance company to see how much of a discount i will get.

Thanks!
I would suggest adding glass breaks in addition to the window/door contacts. It's better to have the alarm go off before they enter your house.

It's hard to recommend how many motion detectors you need without knowing the layout of your house. At a minimum have at least one motion in a common area in the house where an intruder would have to pass through to gain access to the rest of your house.

Since you plan on having pets at a later date, I would recommend the Honeywell Dual Tech 100lb pet immune motion detectors, either the DT-8035 (hardwired) or the Honeywell 5898 (wireless). Both detectors will allow you to disable the pet immune feature until you get pets. However, you need to read and understand the installation manual and install the detectors according to the manual especially in pet immune applications. These motion detectors are higher quality than your standard PIR sensors sold in alarm kits and will reduce the chances of you getting a false alarm.

You should also consider adding heat detectors in your garage, attic, utility room etc. A lot of people overlook those areas. However, you can't use a wireless heat in the attic, you would need to use a hardwired heat and a Honeywell fire transmitter if you went with an AIO system.

The Vista and lyric can both be integrated with home automation systems. The vista is a little more flexible though.

I'm not sure what you mean by "set and forget". Both systems once installed correctly will need little maintenance. I don't like the idea of a local only system, I'd like to know the system activated before I walked into my house.

Yes, the siren/control panel will alert if you are in danger, but, only if the proper sensors are installed in the proper locations.

Denali804

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a lyric, and controlling a few zwave devices, and a couple of cams. My guy charges me $25/month for monitoring and full total connect services, which is a great deal. Also that is with dual path communications.

I had a vista 21ip and tuxedo touch in old house, and that worked great as well. Never was a fan of AIO systems, and was going to put another vista/tuxedo in, however company that wires for my builder has changed from pre-wiring for doors, two motions, and two keypads, to just wiring for keypads.

I also have another piece of property that I use a 2gig system in, and that works pretty good also.

Reaction score
I had a vista 21ip and tuxedo touch in old house, and that worked great as well. Never was a fan of AIO systems, and was going to put another vista/tuxedo in, however company that wires for my builder has changed from pre-wiring for doors, two motions, and two keypads, to just wiring for keypads.
Sounds like the builder needs to find someone else to prewire. If I were you I would've insisted they prewire the house or I would find someone else.

Reaction score
Hi there, I have heard good reviews about Lyric AIO. I agree with smiticans that it is really hard to recommend that how many motion detectors you will require for your house. I think you should go for professionals who provides security system service in house. Recently my uncle moved to his new house he hired professional movers in NYC who provided him moving and security system for his house. According to him their way of working was quality driven and they also provided guidance about the security system.

Last edited: