New guy to camera systems

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking to piece together a system if possible or buying a rebranded set. Hoping to learn a lot here. Looking for a 8 camera system for the house due to blind spots.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to piece together a system if possible or buying a rebranded set. Hoping to learn a lot here. Looking for a 8 camera system for the house due to blind spots.
Welcome Cupofschmoe!

btw - do take a look at the discussion here, I've posted a lot of what I have been learning here and I'm hoping it will help people get a head start.
Looking for some advice and direction!

Thank You

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Funny, a guy on facebook asked me if I "could pick out blind spots", then when I told em I set a cam up on a test rig to see what it can see, he told me to go to school to learn about security cameras LOL. so many fuck faces on facebook.

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's our new house which was prewired for security cameras. The placements for the camera locations may not be optimal but I'm looking for the best location as well as reduce the numbers of cameras needed. I plan on installing some motion sensing flood lights for the back yard and side of the house.
The front of the house is well lit at night.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, logically the layout with the locations looks like a good start.

I'm new to this and I've written out a summary of what I have been learning, hoping others can get a head start with it, please do feel free to check it out:
Looking for some advice and direction!

ALSO, I see you are planning to get a 8 camera system - and I just got in a NVR and am VERY glad to have followed the advice of others here - as I am already thinking about getting another camera beyond the initial 8 which I had planned - and thus getting a NVR which can handle 16 cameras is turning out to be a better starting point than a 8 camera NVR. So even if you plan to get 8 cameras now to start with, do get a NVR which can handle more cameras at the get go.

Have fun, there's a lot of great information here.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots of info here and I am thankful for members like @nayr for the vast wealth of knowledge.

I plan on using Blue IRIS along with a set of Dahua cameras to get a feel of what I need. I feel the NVR will limit me with cameras and options so I'm going the computer route.

I'm going to start with 4 of the varifocal bullets to see how they will work out for me since most of the area I'm trying to cover is relatively small due to so many corners I have with the house. I would considered fixed lenses and sizes for the areas I need coverage.

Mi casa:

Sweet ass house, though I can't personally stand those subdivision neighborhoods where every house is 5' apart, but at least they aren't cookie cutter houses where every one is the same. Blue Iris route is good, I've got 6 on the system now and it hovers around 10% CPU so I figure I'll be able to run 40+ cams easy lol. I'd go with all motorized varifocal, you can tweak them in to the perfect focal length and use them anywhere. How high up are your eaves?

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sweet ass house, though I can't personally stand those subdivision neighborhoods where every house is 5' apart, but at least they aren't cookie cutter houses where every one is the same. Blue Iris route is good, I've got 6 on the system now and it hovers around 10% CPU so I figure I'll be able to run 40+ cams easy lol. I'd go with all motorized varifocal, you can tweak them in to the perfect focal length and use them anywhere. How high up are your eaves?
Thanks! It was a compromise to move into this area with all the life events taking place at once. It's something I'll have to get use to coming from living out in the countryside.

Eaves are roughly 11-12ft with the lowest being about 8 near the front doorway.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks! It was a compromise to move into this area with all the life events taking place at once. It's something I'll have to get use to coming from living out in the countryside.

Eaves are roughly 11-12ft with the lowest being about 8 near the front doorway.
the 8 footers will be fine, the 12's might get a little problematic even with 12mm for ID shots, you might wanna get a z5 that goes 7-35mm for there, or try a 12mm and see if it's enough.

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll probably start off with 4 of the regular varifocals and get a z5 to try out and adjust from there. Seeing how these are in demand, I don't think I would have a problem getting rid of them if they don't work out for me. I might pick up the 2.8 fixed to try as well.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll probably start off with 4 of the regular varifocals and get a z5 to try out and adjust from there. Seeing how these are in demand, I don't think I would have a problem getting rid of them if they don't work out for me. I might pick up the 2.8 fixed to try as well.
there is only one place 2.8 is worth anything outside, and that is over a doorway lol