New guy with easy questions for the gurus

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone I had a few general questions regarding a one camera setup I plan on purchasing soon.

I'm looking at the 5mp GW dome outdoor camera (125ish on amazon), seems to have decent reviews on amazon and youtube. I want to keep this system very small and simple. Since I will only need to power one single camera I was hoping to skip the whole POE thing and connect the camera directly into an outlet(dont mind doing this at all) and run the ethernet cable directly to my router. I then plan on using BI software to set everything up and hopefully stream/access the content on my devices. I'd like to record continuously throughout the day and NOT do "event" only recording but perhaps that topic is better suited for the BI section. Am I asking for too much or missing something I'll need or does my setup sound reasonable? Thanks gurus.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable, except that I would not buy that camera. There are a thousand camera brands and only a few good ones, Dahua and Hikvision to name a few. I would sooner buy this cheapest of Dahua IP cameras: http://a.co/iZf6sba (which is only for the tightest of budgets since this is a Chinese model that is built to lower quality standards to keep the price down). Better would be Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS) or Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Also note that a lot of cameras don't come with power supplies, and if you are going to buy the power supply separately you might as well get a PoE injector. http://a.co/5lKxIfu

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable, except that I would not buy that camera. There are a thousand camera brands and only a few good ones, Dahua and Hikvision to name a few. I would sooner buy this cheapest of Dahua IP cameras: http://a.co/iZf6sba (which is only for the tightest of budgets since this is a Chinese model that is built to lower quality standards to keep the price down). Better would be Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS) or Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Also note that a lot of cameras don't come with power supplies, and if you are going to buy the power supply separately you might as well get a PoE injector. http://a.co/5lKxIfu
Thanks BP, my main goal is to record my front yard/doorway and hopefully pick up any plates that pull into my driveway or cars that drive by my house (75ft range) and also has NV. With my limited knowledge I leaned in towards a higher mp camera to get those clear far away shots. Should I stick to those two brands? Not sure if the linked items have those capabilities. I understand I may need to pay more and I would given it's a quality item that does what I need.

About the POE, why would I want this over a power adapter, which advantages does one give over the other?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you use PoE then you only have to run the network cable to the camera and you don't need an electrical outlet anywhere near the camera.

For 75 foot range with good night vision I recommend Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5)

I have one facing down my driveway at the road to record everything that moves day and night. The pavement begins at 75 feet and ends at 100 feet. This Z5 camera is at about the middle of its zoom range. (~20mm)

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that great example. Is there a preferred vendor for these cameras? I'm not sure amazon and ebay carry this model.

The link for the Dahua shows great clarity at that distance but it's only a 2mp camera..I def need to do more research on camera optics.

**seems like alibaba is the vendor, never ordered anything from them, yet.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for that great example. Is there a preferred vendor for these cameras? I'm not sure amazon and ebay carry this model.

The link for the Dahua shows great clarity at that distance but it's only a 2mp camera..I def need to do more research on camera optics.

**seems like alibaba is the vendor, never ordered anything from them, yet.
I am not an expert but I thought I would chime in with my opinion.. A lot of people have ordered from Andy (EmpiretecCandy) from Aliexpress. Amazon doesn't carry these cameras and ordering from Andy you know you will get what you pay for and with good service. My latest camera was shipped out Monday and is arriving today! That is super fast from Hong Kong. The more Megapixels on a sensor the less sensitive it is in low light. Dahua makes starlight cameras with a sensor that does very well in low light performance. Basically you won't find a better performing camera (especially for low light/night) for under $500 or so.

I bought the Turret version which is good for closer ranges. And plan on buying several different Dahua cameras for different purposes.

There is also the Z12 version of this camera for almost the same price.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping from Reliable bullet camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

@bp2008 would you recommend the Z5 over the Z12? Would it be better to get the Z5 if you know you don't need that much distance?

Just wondering as I want to get one of these as a LPR.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Z12 lens can go from 5.3mm to 64mm which is a much larger range than the Z5's 7mm to 35mm. One thing I do not know though is how the built-in infrared compares between the two models. The specs show 100m range for the Z5 and 200m range for the Z12, but the same power consumption on both models. So I would guess that the Z12 has much more focused infrared that is better suited for high zoom and less suited for wide angles.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Which one I would recommend depends on the distances under consideration. Roughly 100 PPF (Pixels per foot) is a pretty good target for clear capture of faces. Using this IPVM Camera Calculator V3 I calculated that the Z5 can achieve 100 PPF at distances between 21 and 104 feet depending on zoom level. The Z12 can do that for distances between 16 and 190 feet, but is probably more suited for the longer distances due to the IR spread (citation needed). Likewise the ordinary -Z camera achieves 100 PPF between 8 and 36 feet depending on zoom level. So just as a general rule of thumb, I would recommend the common -Z model for distances up to about 40 feet, the -Z5 for up to 100 feet or so, and the -Z12 for distances up to ~200 feet. Beyond that a PTZ is the best bet.

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, there is a preferred vendor who has a presence on this forum. You can get a discount if you talk to @EMPIRETECANDY but here is the camera on his aliexpress store.

2017 Latest New Arrival 2MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera IPC HFW5231E Z5 , free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Thanks, Im not sure I am able to pm him just yet as I'm a new memebr. I could be wrong and didnt find the right area for that but whats the discount like? I will be researching this company/camera after work.
I am not an expert but I thought I would chime in with my opinion.. A lot of people have ordered from Andy (EmpiretecCandy) from Aliexpress. Amazon doesn't carry these cameras and ordering from Andy you know you will get what you pay for and with good service. My latest camera was shipped out Monday and is arriving today! That is super fast from Hong Kong. The more Megapixels on a sensor the less sensitive it is in low light. Dahua makes starlight cameras with a sensor that does very well in low light performance. Basically you won't find a better performing camera (especially for low light/night) for under $500 or so.

I bought the Turret version which is good for closer ranges. And plan on buying several different Dahua cameras for different purposes.

There is also the Z12 version of this camera for almost the same price.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping from Reliable bullet camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

@bp2008 would you recommend the Z5 over the Z12? Would it be better to get the Z5 if you know you don't need that much distance?

Just wondering as I want to get one of these as a LPR.
Solid, thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
PMs are called "Conversations" on this forum software. Why someone decided they needed to reinvent the name is beyond me.

If you click a user name there should be a button called "Start a Conversation".

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys Ill be back with more questions soon after researching.

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
I feel like I'm finally narrowing down the products I'm going to use here's a list

1 Dahua cam (not sure which model yet)
1 long ethernet cable
1 POE
1 Tb seagate skyhawk HD to store recording(not even sure it fits my comp)
BI software

Is there something else Im going to need? I had a few other questions regarding this setup if anyone can answer one or a few I'd greatly appreciate it. I like the Z5 camera but was wondering if there was something like it in a dome style? Can the zoom of the camera be controlled through a smart phone? Do these cameras come with their own software to adjust settings or is that done with SW like BI? And lastly, which is the preferred app used to view content over smart phone/devices?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there something else Im going to need?
Not that I can think of.

I had a few other questions regarding this setup if anyone can answer one or a few I'd greatly appreciate it. I like the Z5 camera but was wondering if there was something like it in a dome style?
IPC-HDBW5231E-Z5 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

You should be aware of a few difficulties with dome style cameras like this (with the plastic or glass bubble cover). See how the infrared LEDs are behind the same piece of glass as the lens. If the glass gets really dirty or if the rubber seal around the lens is positioned just wrong, then you can end up with infrared scattering strongly back into the lens, creating big circular reflections or simply making your video look foggy (at night). Just be aware of that and you should be able to fix it if the problem arises.

Can the zoom of the camera be controlled through a smart phone?
Yes, you can control the zoom with Blue Iris's mobile app (though you probably will just set it and leave it at one zoom level). Should also be able to control it using Dahua's app.

Do these cameras come with their own software to adjust settings or is that done with SW like BI?
If you enter the camera's ip address in a web browser, you can configure everything through its built-in web interface.

And lastly, which is the preferred app used to view content over smart phone/devices?
Blue Iris has android and iOS apps ($10).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
One more thing ... there is tons of information out there telling you to forward a port to a camera so you can view it remotely with your phone, but it is terrible advice. That would make your camera vulnerable to hackers. Before you even get your camera, go into your router's configuration and find the UPnP option (universal plug and play) and disable it. UPnP is a mechanism by which cameras (and other devices) can open ports to themselves without your knowledge. Tons of cameras do that and get themselves hacked even though their owners never explicitly forwarded a port.

The safest way to do remote access is to use a VPN: VPN Primer for Noobs

It is relatively safe to just forward a port to Blue Iris and not worry about a VPN, as long as you keep your Blue Iris installation relatively up-to-date.

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As bp200 says, don't forward your camera ports.

Since you indicated you'll be using BI, you can use it to more safely access your system for live and recorded viewing.
And you should add the improved BI remote pages that bp2000 created (links in his posts).