New Guy with questions

mhraxo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello
Been reading this for little while and researching and still confused. Looking for some input/advice. Just looking to put up 4 min 6 max cameras that need night vision. Had considered a Lorex wireless system before coming across this place and researching some more. Now it seems like POE is the way to go. Had a professional quote me because i wanted something in a hurry and it was a Hiki system but for 1TB and 4 cameras and installed it was $3K. A bit over budget. From my research the cameras were marked up 110% alone. Im pretty handy myself and do most of my own work so i figured I'd research some more and tackle this myself but installation wise it doesnt appear to be difficult its all the selecting a system that is!. I was just going to get a Lorex sys right off their site but now i see alot of Q-See systems from Costco and such. I just want something decent around the $1K range. I dont care if i have to piece it together or buy a kit. Any advice?
Thanks

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are some good threads with info on how to install cable.

Wired is the way to go. Biggest problem with an otherwise decent kit is that all the cams will have a 2.8mm lens. It's very useful to have a bigger lens that might actually get a good face or license plate shot.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some of the systems which Costco sells are rebranded Dahua and Hikvision systems. Make certain to purchase an "IP" system, NOT an analog HD system. Costco's current "forever" return system is simply unbeatable. Often these systems go on sale creating a compelling reason to purchase from Costco IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm piecing mine together now. I only have two cameras but plan on adding 4 more minimum and I'm running a BI PC with 4TB memory (adding more as funds allow). Its gonna take me to roughly $1600 for all parts including conduit and mounts and stuff. Its all IP and wired myself so I'm saving a lot there and with the internet at my fingertips, its much much easier then I originally thought. Piecing is def the way to go if you're comfortable doing it.

Another thing I like with this over a boxed kit, if something does break and I need to return it, I don't need to return EVERYTHING. Its much easier to replace one piece here or there then pulling all the wires and hardware from the whole house if one camera goes.