New here, need camera/lens advice, please rate my security plan

Reaction score
If it was me i would go with a 2.8 and a varifocal which would allow me to zoom right down to the area around my car. Which would get good identification. If they are not wearing a hoodie and glasses.
A varifocal camera would definitely be worthwhile, especially if there is a "choke point" through which everyone must walk in order to approach your home. For example, is there a gate that everyone must walk through to enter or exit as they approach your home? Is there a sidewalk everyone uses? Or is there a parking spot where you always park your car? Point the varifocal at that point. For about $200 you can get a camera that will give you a good view of the potential perp.

Then I'd recommend keeping the 6.0 mm camera, which should give you a good view of your entire yard. And if you wanted an even wider view, you could pay $25 for a Wyze cam with a 32GB SD card and mount it outside the upstairs window. That would capture the front of your house, and your neighbors' adjoining lots. The Wyze cam would provide the "big picture" recording to put your other camera recordings in perspective.

Last edited:

synthwave

n3wb
Reaction score
A friend of mine offered me a Hikvision DS-77608NI-SE/P/8 nvr for free he is no longer using.
I googled it and it says it's a 8 port POE nvr from 2013.

Will it work with Andy's Starlight Dahua camera's?

• Third-party network cameras supported

• Plug&Play with 8 built-in POE interfaces

• 40mbps and up to 5MP resolution recording

• HDMI and VGA output at up to 1920x1080P resolution

• HDD quota and group management

Last edited:
Reaction score
A friend of mine offered me a Hikvision DS-77608NI-SE/P/8 nvr for free he is no longer using.
I googled it and it says it's a 8 port POE nvr from 2013.

Will it work with Andy's Starlight Dahua camera's?

• Third-party network cameras supported

• Plug&Play with 8 built-in POE interfaces

• 40mbps and up to 5MP resolution recording

• HDMI and VGA output at up to 1920x1080P resolution

• HDD quota and group management
It will work, but since it is not a dahua specific recorder you may not be able to use of all the features of a dahua camera.

synthwave

n3wb
Reaction score
Should i hang the camera's on the wall like this, or use a wall mount/bracket/box of some type like the PFB203W ?

Aantekening 2020-06-10 131655.jpg

PFB203W
pfb203W.jpg