New here, trying to up my security

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had a couple of indoor Foscam 480p cams forever, 8918W I believe is the model. They suck but they've been alright to stick in a window and see what's going on while i'm at work. I've had one outside for almost 2 years under my porch and other than getting a little discolored it works fine. Was in a hurry to get one up after a neighbor backed into my girlfriends car and acted crazy afterwards.

Anyways, i'd like to bump up my security and get better cameras. We've had new neighbors move in that we think are bringing bad things into the neighborhood. A month ago someone tried (Unsuccessfully) to break into my rear garage door, and just yesterday a neighbor had a TV that was setup in his garage stolen during the day.

I have an extra PC running Windows 8.1, I believe it's an Intel G3220 dual core processor and 8gb ram. I've been using some older Netcam Studio X software that works so-so to record but looking into buying Blue Iris, unless there's something people recommend that's better.

I'm going to search around and probably make another thread in the IP cam section. I just bought a Microcenter brand (Winbook) Outdoor IP cam, seems to work good but there's not much info out there on it, trying to get it to work with the Blue Iris demo im doing.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look at Dahua's line of cameras, they will do you right.. infact, Foscam USA is now re-branding and re-selling Dahua cameras under the Amcrest brand and has abandoned the Foscam junk due to all the bad will its gathered over the years.