New Hikvision DS-2CD2185FWD 4MP/8MP

Jeroen68

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2185FWD-I

The pictures compared to the 4MP range is remarkably better. I find also it weighs heavier on my network and iVMS 4500 got slower and sometimes crashes since the DS-2CD2185FWD-I also puts data available on my network.

I have one weird question which I can't find an answer on anywhere, nor in a manual: When in night mode with the IR illumination on (the LED are hidden in this model), it shows 3 quite visible RED LEDS too! (Only in night vision). Is this supposed to be like this? I know very bright IR LED bleed a little in human visible spectrum, but these 3 LEDs (I suppose the DS-2CD2185FWD-I has like 20 IR LEDs?) are bright RED and really visible in the dark.

Maybe this is supposed to indicate the cam is live and in IR mode, as a warning? But is this user configurable (e.g. switch off)?

Also, the entire unit runs hand-warm. Hotter than my other 4MP models (DS-2CD2745FWD-IZS etc).

And lastly, how crazy is it to have two hikvisions with exactly the same MAC?? (It still works fine with what I use them for, but surely that is not supposed to be?

The Cam comes with extra's like face detection etc. It came with firmware V5.4.5 build 170124 and web version V4.0.1 build 170123 and plugins V3.0.6.14

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one weird question which I can't find an answer on anywhere, nor in a manual: When in night mode with the IR illumination on (the LED are hidden in this model), it shows 3 quite visible RED LEDS too! (Only in night vision). Is this supposed to be like this? I know very bright IR LED bleed a little in human visible spectrum, but these 3 LEDs (I suppose the DS-2CD2185FWD-I has like 20 IR LEDs?) are bright RED and really visible in the dark.
The specs say the camera has EXIR IR, so presumably these are the EXIR LEDs.

Jeroen68

n3wb
Reaction score
The specs say the camera has EXIR IR, so presumably these are the EXIR LEDs.
Thanks that may be an answer to "are EXIR" LEDs (supposed to be) visible to the human eyes?

Because on my DS-2CD2185FWD-I i see 3 RED LEDs glowing when the illumination is on.

BTW, these camera's are so sensitive I have forced them on daymode permanently as the picture remains good enough to see (outside), but then in colour and with some extra static instead of 30m in B&W :) (So that solves my visible RED leds issue too :) )

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks that may be an answer to "are EXIR" LEDs (supposed to be) visible to the human eyes?
Yes, EXIR LEDs are simply much higher power single IR LEDs surface-mounted in a beam-shaping lens assembly that are a more effective alternative to the older multiple plastic-encapsulated low-power IR LEDs.
The IR wavelength is the same, so the tail of the spectrum is still just visible to the human eye.