New Hikvision ECI-T24F4, ECI-T24F2

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If low-light performance is of interest, you can user a camera's minimum illumination spec to get a rough idea about what ballpark it's in. Comparing that spec between different manufactures gets a little more dicey, but I think it's still useful for generalizing.

Minimum illumination for that Hikvision camera:
Color: 0.15 lux @ (ƒ/2.0, AGC on); 0.03 lux @ (ƒ/2.0, AGC on), 0 lux with IR

Minimum illumination for the Dahua 2431 camera:
0.008 Lux @ F1.6

The lower the lux value, usually the better the camera is likely to perform in low-light situations. Maybe someone that understands Hikvision specs better can chime in to confirm, but I'm assuming the first one (0.15 lux) is with a shutter speed of 1/30s and the second one (0.03 lux) is with a shutter speed of 1/3s. The Dahua spec is with a shutter speed of 1/3s.

With a min illumination spec like that, I'm wondering if this camera is using the really old 1/3" image sensors (which didn't do well in low light) and not one of the new low-light 1/3" image sensors in the 2431.

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's being used indoors such as a hallway or at the front/ rear door inside it should be OK but outside use the new Dahua 2mp cam to see the front door as it does better in low light only if you must have a dome. Turret Cameras are preferred for outdoor use, you could get a 4mp hikvision Turret either the older style or the new colorvu.

ttplayer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If low-light performance is of interest, you can user a camera's minimum illumination spec to get a rough idea about what ballpark it's in. Comparing that spec between different manufactures gets a little more dicey, but I think it's still useful for generalizing.

Minimum illumination for that Hikvision camera:
Color: 0.15 lux @ (ƒ/2.0, AGC on); 0.03 lux @ (ƒ/2.0, AGC on), 0 lux with IR

Minimum illumination for the Dahua 2431 camera:
0.008 Lux @ F1.6

The lower the lux value, usually the better the camera is likely to perform in low-light situations. Maybe someone that understands Hikvision specs better can chime in to confirm, but I'm assuming the first one (0.15 lux) is with a shutter speed of 1/30s and the second one (0.03 lux) is with a shutter speed of 1/3s. The Dahua spec is with a shutter speed of 1/3s.

With a min illumination spec like that, I'm wondering if this camera is using the really old 1/3" image sensors (which didn't do well in low light) and not one of the new low-light 1/3" image sensors in the 2431.
Thanks, Aristobrat. Lux ratings are a good initial gauge. Shame that Hikvision seems to be lagging Dahua in terms of budget low light cameras.