New Hikvision iVMS4200 Lite 1.0.0.4

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision have quietly introduced iVMS4200 Lite V1.0.0.4.

iVMS4200 Lite is intended to be a lightweight version of its full blown iVMS4200 client software for people that don't want or need all the bells and whistles.

The software has basic functionality including, Live View, Playback and Device Management only. No other modules can be added.

The user interface looks almost the same as iVMS4200 with a few tweaks.

Release notes:

iVMS-4200 Lite is a abbreviated version of iVMS-4200. It provides basic video surveillance functions including real-time live view, video recording, remote search and playback for the connected devices (such as DVRs, NVRs, network cameras, network speed dome, etc.). It meets the needs of small-sized projects, such as a small-sized supermarket, an apartment, etc..

Notably, the Playback interface lacks VCA and Event search functionality. Only continuous Playback of recorded footage is supported.

I found that start up time for the application if much faster than the full product. On my i5 laptop with an SSD the full iVMS4200 would take at least 30 seconds to load however, the Lite version loads within 5 seconds.

Some might remember that iVMS4200 was available in a "Full" and "Lite" flavor back in 2017 (version 2.5.0.5) which differed only in that many of the advance modules were left out of the lite version. For whatever reason the "Lite" was dropped after a short while but it's now back but as a completely new product.

The only download link I can find appears on the dot com site.

Download | Client Software - Hikvision

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Seeing everything that Hikvision is adding to the normal version of iVMS-4200, every time it makes more sense that they keep a different "Lite" version for those that just want/need to view live and playback from their Hikvision devices.

Jeremy Spiering

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been using iVMS-4200 Lite for the last few days and it vastly superior to the alternatives I had been using. The full version took so long to start up, and when it did there were so many options I didn't need or use. Not to mention it used considerably more processor while running. With the lite version, it loads in a few seconds and is much easier do everything. In the settings, I have hardware decoding enabled and I can view 3x1080P streams simultaneously and it only uses a 3-4% of my CPU. It allow downloading single or multiple camera videos at the same time as well. It is much nicer than the web interface for viewing both Live and Playback video. Oh, one more thing, it has the ability to rewind playback video, something lacking from all the other solutions I've found. There are few little bugs, and lacking features that would make this programs a complete slam dunk (although it is already pretty decent).

Missing Features

Show events on timeline (motion, line crossing, intrusion), with forward and back buttons to jump to next and previous events
2. Ability to easily switch streams between main and sub (or others). You can currently do it, but it takes several clicks, and forces you to close a stream and re-open it. A right-click context menu option for switching streams would be great.

Bugs
Cannot use reverse playback option when viewing multiple synced views
2. Reverse playback causes a stream failure when hardware decoding is enalbed
3. Fast forward causes streams to freeze when viewing multiple synced views.

Even with these missing features and bugs, it is still the best program out there for viewing and playing back video for basic needs.

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I installed the iVMS-4200 Lite on a Windows 10 PC. A couple of observations:
  • I used the "Online Device" method to add devices (i.e., NVR and cameras) to the client.
  • The installation did not seem to like me specifying an account with Operator user level has permission (specifically the NVR failed to connect, although the cameras were OK with the account), so I had to use the Admin account credentials (not a big deal, but rather a curiosity)
  • Once installed the iVMS-4200 Lite (on the Maintenance and Management menu) automatically detected that there was new firmware for my cameras and successfully installed the firmware (I have "WR" [Western Region] serial number cameras).
  • I had to close and restart the iVMS-4200 Lite client following the camera firmware update in order to see the Live View again in the client
A question; during the client installation there is a "Modify Network Parameter" screen that includes a blank password field. Any idea what this password is? I left it blank and successfully completed the installation (note the Username and Password for device access is prompted for in a subsequent screen)

Last edited:

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe it's asking for your camera's admin password so that they can be added automatically without entering the password for each cam individually.

If left blank, you will need to enter the camera password manually when prompted during he device detection phase.

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe it's asking for your camera's admin password so that they can be added automatically without entering the password for each cam individually.

If left blank, you will need to enter the camera password manually when prompted during he device detection phase.
Perhaps, although placing this in the "Modify Network Parameter" screen is bit counter-intuitive. Given this Network Parameter screen is device specific, I guess it allows you to specify a different Admin password for each device.

Last edited:

Chris BC

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps, although placing this in the "Modify Network Parameter" screen is bit counter-intuitive. Given this Network Parameter screen is device specific, I guess it allows you to specify a different Admin password for each device.
Hikvision naming conventions counter intuitive? Surely not. :rofl::rofl::rofl: