New Home CCTV and Home Network Install

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys

Moved into a new home earlier this year so of course a priority project of mine was to install CCTV and setup some cat6 cabling throughout the house for computers and home entertainment
I did all the wiring myself. I learned how to terminate cat6 just off youtube and a bit of practice and researching. I had an idea how I wanted it from my previous work place offices so wanted it to look neat and I also didnt want any eyesore network equipment inside the house apart from my Cisco Wireless AP and the CCTV live feed monitor

Let me know what you think

Technical stuff:
  • I put at least 2 network points behind the master bedroom TV and living room which are mounted high behind the TV
  • I also put 2 network points, elevated and below with also a brush plate for your HDMI cables to go through for the future "theater/movie room" ( not tv there yet) but the idea is to have a big TV mounted on the wall, and your gaming consoles or other media player units down below without seeing any cables at all
  • Crawled through our roof space a fair bit to lay down lots of cat6 solid core cabling
  • All cables go down the internal garage wall and out 2 brush plates on top for a high mounted 6RU switch cabinet. ( baby monitor came in handy for some last ones to feed through as I was doing it on my own, it allowed me to see if the cable was coming out of the brush plate when I was in the room)
  • Colour coded cables for black being CCTV cameras and blue internal general purpose network points.
  • Powerpoint installed by a friend who's an electrician. This way I feel its more secure if someone broke in they would have a hard time turning off all the network equipment inside the switch cabinet
  • Mounted 2 2x4 timber pieces for the switch cabinet to mount on. Used long 3 inch screws to hold that baby up firmly. ( Its already pretty heavy and gets heavier with switches in it)
  • Forgot about allowing clearance with the switch cabinet door opening without hitting the garage roller door rail and it made it by around an inch ( phew)
  • Terminated all cables to rear of patch panel. I think I ended up terminated about 21 cables all up. You
  • Installed 2 x16 port Netgear switch with 8 poe ports
  • Installed cable management because I have OCD :)
  • Put in my Synoligy NAS and my router in there. ( they all just fit )
  • Tested all cables with cheap cable tester and I had to fix around 3 that were not working I think
  • Cameras installed are:
    • Hikvision 2cd20895FWD x 1
    • Hikvision 2CD2142FWD x 1
    • Hikvision 2CD2042FWD x 2
    • Dahua IPC-HDBW1431E x 3
    • Dahua - PC-HDW4631EM x 1
  • Reason why I had a mixture of brands is because my friend gave me some of his Dahua cameras really cheap so I utilized them
  • NVR is a PC in the study running blue-iris. its a mini size case running some old hardware I salvaged from my old computer i had:
    • i5-3570k
    • 12GB ram
    • SSD for blue iris
    • Recorded footage goes to the NAS. ( I think from memory its best to record new footage to the local disk of a HDD thats on the NVR not over the network on a nas. But I think its more secure to have it record to the nas incase someone broke in and stole the NVR PC thats in the study. If they do that. There goes my CCTV footage. The PC cant really fit securely in the switch cabinet its too big. I guess thats where NVR's being more compact are handy. If anyone can think of another solution for that let me know but recording straight to the NAS seems the most to me so far.
  • We have a walk in pantry so its pretty big and you can .. well walk inside it. I got my friend to install power and I installed 2 network points on the top shelf in there. I sat a laptop and an LCD monitor and RDP into the NVR PC for live feed,. I also have my Cisco wireless AP there but still have to mount it on the ceiling
Now to work on other house hold projects

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys

Moved into a new home earlier this year so of course a priority project of mine was to install CCTV and setup some cat6 cabling throughout the house for computers and home entertainment
I did all the wiring myself. I learned how to terminate cat6 just off youtube and a bit of practice and researching. I had an idea how I wanted it from my previous work place offices so wanted it to look neat and I also didnt want any eyesore network equipment inside the house apart from my Cisco Wireless AP and the CCTV live feed monitor

Let me know what you think

Technical stuff:
  • I put at least 2 network points behind the master bedroom TV and living room which are mounted high behind the TV
  • I also put 2 network points, elevated and below with also a brush plate for your HDMI cables to go through for the future "theater/movie room" ( not tv there yet) but the idea is to have a big TV mounted on the wall, and your gaming consoles or other media player units down below without seeing any cables at all
  • Crawled through our roof space a fair bit to lay down lots of cat6 solid core cabling
  • All cables go down the internal garage wall and out 2 brush plates on top for a high mounted 6RU switch cabinet. ( baby monitor came in handy for some last ones to feed through as I was doing it on my own, it allowed me to see if the cable was coming out of the brush plate when I was in the room)
  • Colour coded cables for black being CCTV cameras and blue internal general purpose network points.
  • Powerpoint installed by a friend who's an electrician. This way I feel its more secure if someone broke in they would have a hard time turning off all the network equipment inside the switch cabinet
  • Mounted 2 2x4 timber pieces for the switch cabinet to mount on. Used long 3 inch screws to hold that baby up firmly. ( Its already pretty heavy and gets heavier with switches in it)
  • Forgot about allowing clearance with the switch cabinet door opening without hitting the garage roller door rail and it made it by around an inch ( phew)
  • Terminated all cables to rear of patch panel. I think I ended up terminated about 21 cables all up. You
  • Installed 2 x16 port Netgear switch with 8 poe ports
  • Installed cable management because I have OCD :)
  • Put in my Synoligy NAS and my router in there. ( they all just fit )
  • Tested all cables with cheap cable tester and I had to fix around 3 that were not working I think
  • Cameras installed are:
    • Hikvision 2cd20895FWD x 1
    • Hikvision 2CD2142FWD x 1
    • Hikvision 2CD2042FWD x 2
    • Dahua IPC-HDBW1431E x 3
    • Dahua - PC-HDW4631EM x 1
  • Reason why I had a mixture of brands is because my friend gave me some of his Dahua cameras really cheap so I utilized them
  • NVR is a PC in the study running blue-iris. its a mini size case running some old hardware I salvaged from my old computer i had:
    • i5-3570k
    • 12GB ram
    • SSD for blue iris
    • Recorded footage goes to the NAS. ( I think from memory its best to record new footage to the local disk of a HDD thats on the NVR not over the network on a nas. But I think its more secure to have it record to the nas incase someone broke in and stole the NVR PC thats in the study. If they do that. There goes my CCTV footage. The PC cant really fit securely in the switch cabinet its too big. I guess thats where NVR's being more compact are handy. If anyone can think of another solution for that let me know but recording straight to the NAS seems the most to me so far.
  • We have a walk in pantry so its pretty big and you can .. well walk inside it. I got my friend to install power and I installed 2 network points on the top shelf in there. I sat a laptop and an LCD monitor and RDP into the NVR PC for live feed,. I also have my Cisco wireless AP there but still have to mount it on the ceiling
Now to work on other house hold projects

Great job @Johnman

Share a bit after you've been playing around with the system your thoughts on recommendations for those new to this.

( for me, it is to leave a little extra slack in the cable in the attic if I need to pull a couple more feet of cable to move things around a little )

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great job @Johnman

Share a bit after you've been playing around with the system your thoughts on recommendations for those new to this.

( for me, it is to leave a little extra slack in the cable in the attic if I need to pull a couple more feet of cable to move things around a little )
Yeah I did this to. I left about 1 meter out the brush plates then cut them to size after I put the switch cabinet up. But still left slack in the roof attic so I can cable tie them together and up on some joists.

I also plan to put a pull down ladder in the garage and put MDF boards up there for storage. So the cables will be out of the way for that to in future

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great job. I'm also in Australia and presently have a house under construction. Hopefully in about three weeks, after the electricians have done what they need to do, I'll be in there with my data cabler wiring Cat6 all over the place. I'm currently testing Blue Iris with one Dahua camera and so far I'm starting to come to grips with the settings. Can't wait to move in and start setting up. Still to purchase a separate computer for Blue Iris but that can wait for the time being. As someone else mentioned above, let us know your thoughts after playing around with it.

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great job. I'm also in Australia and presently have a house under construction. Hopefully in about three weeks, after the electricians have done what they need to do, I'll be in there with my data cabler wiring Cat6 all over the place. I'm currently testing Blue Iris with one Dahua camera and so far I'm starting to come to grips with the settings. Can't wait to move in and start setting up. Still to purchase a separate computer for Blue Iris but that can wait for the time being. As someone else mentioned above, let us know your thoughts after playing around with it.
Thanks and I will