New House, Noob questions about T180 with PTZ vs. T54IR with PTZ.

dbagwell00

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently bought a new house, and after trying my best to read and comprehend everything here I'm left with a few questions.

House sits on an acre of sage brush. There's some very well traveled / popular "trails" behind the house, and people/horses/off road vehicles tend to wander one side of the property where utility poles are.

My thoughts were to use IPC-Color4K-T180 on each side of the house as spotters (x4), and then two or more PTZ5A4M-25X to do the whole 'move to this zone and track' stuff. Since the T180s don't have IR, I'm kinda concerned that at night the spotlights might mess up the ptz.

There's not a TON of light at this location, though there are like normal lights (porch lights, side lights, driveway lights, etc) that I can turn on, or automate, or something. We normally leave everything turned off.

I was trying to limit the amount of cameras to like one poe switch since the panel where all this is running to is kinda small (in the laundry room, on the wall). I was gonna buy one of these Switch Pro 8 PoE - Ubiquiti Store United States, which says 120W of power. So like 4 T180, and 3 PTZ5A4M. The T180 lists 11.8W and the ptz are 21W at full power.

I guess ultimately my question is should I just avoid the T180 things and use two IPC-T54IR-AS-S3 per side as spotters, at the cost of another poe switch? I'm expecting the PTZ to do the 'identify' bit, and the spotters to just trigger them.

I have 72tb of nas and record 100% of the time with Blue Iris, if that matters.

Sorry for the rambling, and appreciate all the help! This forum is awesome!

House is the one on the left. The 'road' is where the power poles run to the back of the property.

1708710364486.png

Rear of the property. Everything is owned by city parks, and that's like a bunch of soccer fields and base ball diamonds. The lights aren't on all the time, and probably till 10pm during the spring time when it's nice.
1708710462518.png

1708710973835.png

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think the T180s will have the distance to properly detect and you will need something with more than 3.6mm focal length. I have tried to get my 3.6mm Color4K-X to reliably detect Humans crossing a tripwire at 140' and it was very inconsistent. I ended up putting up a dedicated -Z12E spotter with higher focal length. This narrowed the L <> R FOV, but I didn't care about this as the spotter is for a very specific area of the sidewalk/road (L <> R is literally only maybe 18', a very small swath). You need to make sure to take this into consideration because a PTZ can only track based on what it can see. If the PTZ is not called to a preset with an IVS rule telling it to track, then it will not track. This means you will need to have a spotter for anywhere you would like for the PTZ to be called to.

dbagwell00

n3wb
Reaction score
I went ahead and bought them and got them installed yesterday. I followed the instructions (found somewhere on here) using the camera group / trigger stuff and it appears to work (though I haven't really had any time to play around with stuff). I used the 'intrusion' box on the cameras and just drew it large enough to cover the entire view. The 'idle' Preset is pointed at the driveway.

The guy I got to run the wires couldn't figure out how to install the two cameras in the back of the house. He says there's 'no access' from the attic. He got kinda hung up on there just being "no way" to hang my cameras. I figure he's either inexperienced or just didn't think $125 an hour was enough to do the work. So I've gotta find someone who can do the last two cameras.

These are all screen shots from the BI Web interface.

Here's the 180 over the drive way:
1709905857762.png

And the PTZ:
1709905921166.png

One of the other PTZ, pointing at the driveway from another angle.
1709906248651.png

Here's a shot of the 'side yard' where most of the public show up.
1709906351988.png

And the PTZ. This camera is the one covering the drive way/walk up from the previous shot. Side yard triggers this one to look over here. Both presets have the Intrusion box and appear.
1709906888470.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I went ahead and bought them and got them installed yesterday. I followed the instructions (found somewhere on here) using the camera group / trigger stuff and it appears to work (though I haven't really had any time to play around with stuff). I used the 'intrusion' box on the cameras and just drew it large enough to cover the entire view. The 'idle' Preset is pointed at the driveway.

The guy I got to run the wires couldn't figure out how to install the two cameras in the back of the house. He says there's 'no access' from the attic. He got kinda hung up on there just being "no way" to hang my cameras. I figure he's either inexperienced or just didn't think $125 an hour was enough to do the work. So I've gotta find someone who can do the last two cameras.

These are all screen shots from the BI Web interface.

Here's the 180 over the drive way:
View attachment 188900

And the PTZ:
View attachment 188901

One of the other PTZ, pointing at the driveway from another angle.
View attachment 188903

Here's a shot of the 'side yard' where most of the public show up.
View attachment 188904

And the PTZ. This camera is the one covering the drive way/walk up from the previous shot. Side yard triggers this one to look over here. Both presets have the Intrusion box and appear.
View attachment 188905
Nice views ..

Perhaps running a conduit to junction box on the outside of the house would work ?