New HQ camera for garage

Astingc90

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a Dahua 16 channel DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E. I'm running 7 cameras, 2 old 3mp, 4 older 4mp and 1 new 5442 4mp. I want more audio so will add more 5442's as old ones fail however my main query is a very high quality indoor camera for my garage.

I was thinking an 8 or 12mp fixed lense but am unsure which to chose. The garage is 8m x 8m roughly and can be well lit 24/7. Thanks.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are 3 options:
  • 5442 - 4mpx in 1/1.8" sensor (many chassis / zoom / light options, great night performance), you known this option,
  • 5842 - 8mpx in 1/1.8" sensor (worse night performance, but all chassis / zoom / light options from 5442 are available).
  • 5849 (aka Color4k-T) - 8mpx in bigger 1/1.2" sensor - best night performance, but no varifocal option, no IR (only White light), 2.8/3.6/6.0mm fixed lens options, problems with depth of field (object near camera can have not a sharp image), great overview camera, but bad for identify people in distance),

About last option you have very long thread:

Astingc90

n3wb
Reaction score
There are 3 options:
  • 5442 - 4mpx in 1/1.8" sensor (many chassis / zoom / light options, great night performance), you known this option,
  • 5842 - 8mpx in 1/1.8" sensor (worse night performance, but all chassis / zoom / light options from 5442 are available).
  • 5849 (aka Color4k-T) - 8mpx in bigger 1/1.2" sensor - best night performance, but no varifocal option, no IR (only White light), 2.8/3.6/6.0mm fixed lens options, problems with depth of field (object near camera can have not a sharp image), great overview camera, but bad for identify people in distance),

About last option you have very long thread:
Thank you good sir, I shall peruse the given options.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yiou don't necessarily need brightly lit 24/7. With many new cameras that do well in low light, just a couple of hundred lumens of light from eg a 5w led bulb will be enough to enable the camera to see, trip and record a decent picture. If you want to guarantee a great picture, then add a sensor light that reinforces the 24/7 light when triggered. Most cameras adapt very quickly these days to light changes and you're unlikely to lose more than a fraction of a second as the camera adapts or with many cameras, you may lose nothing at all just see a change in brightness. You're more likely to lose picture with a change from B&W to colour, than a light change in colour these days so if you want high quality, consider permanent colour. Only other point to note, 4K series are exceelent but have a shallow dof. I'm unable to compare 4k vs the new 5442's for light sensitivity beyond paper.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have the tremendous advantage inside a garage of easily adding visible or IR illumination without annoying any neighbors. I use an external IR flood light and SD1A203T-GN's to get excellent garage coverage. The mini PTZ's have a good range for wide or narrow views as needed. A pair of them give really flexible coverage options that you can refine as desired. They do not have auto tracking, but as with any location, both wide angle and tight coverage of squeeze points should do the job. The 4MP version, SD1A404XB-GNR, I also deployed to cover my driveway. It is not as light sensitive as the 2MP, but delivers a noticeably more detailed image. With either the 2MP or 4MP versions of the mini PTZ, definitely add more lighting than provided by the little dome PTZ.