New hybrid light cam improves IR night image quality?

keiraija

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder if the new hybrid light camera with F1.0 will improve image quality at night in IR mode? This is the only reason I'm considering this new cam. Thanks
It's 2CD2387G2H-LIU i'm talking about.
TIA

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure having IR and white LED will cover a lot of conditions; but it likely will stay in color under darker conditions with neither IR or white LED if the sensor were larger; its 1/1/8" sensor is optimum for a 4MP cam, an 8MP cam would allow color with NO supplementary lighting under darker conditions with the larger 1/1.2" sensor (as compared to 8MP with a 1/1.8").

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

keiraija

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sure having IR and white LED will cover a lot of conditions; but it likely will stay in color under darker conditions with neither IR or white LED if the sensor were larger; its 1/1/8" sensor is optimum for a 4MP cam, an 8MP cam would allow color with NO supplementary lighting under darker conditions with the larger 1/1.2" sensor (as compared to 8MP with a 1/1.8").

View attachment 165477
Still my question unanswered. Will F1.0 make the image quality clearer & better in IR mode because I will force it to be in IR mode all the time (reason I'm considering this model because I assume F1.0 will give better image quality compare to normal IR cam)
TIA

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
F1.0 will allow more light into the sensor than a smaller aperture all other things being equal.
Whether or not that is a better quality image though depends on many factures.
Not least of which is the focal point of the lens and what you're aiming it at.

lukeeper

n3wb
Reaction score
Considering same camera. Any thoughts on these vs EmpireTech warm light led models?

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did anyone buy this yet? I have to admit the YouTube review on it , the ir mode looked crystal clear. In fact I’d probably keep it in IR so the 8mp at 1/1.8 might suffice. If it had 1/1.2 it would be a no brainer to get imo. I found some on aliexpress for about 165 so not to bad.

Last edited:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I heard that white led will only come on when there is smart event triggered. I havent tested yet, just rumors

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I heard that white led will only come on when there is smart event triggered. I havent tested yet, just rumors
Some cameras can do that.
I don't know if the specific one in this thread can do that.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had one installed for a couple of months (DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU). I only became aware of the smaller sensor size (1/1.8" as opposed to 1/1.2" on the 8MP ColorVu) after I installed it.

I find the image much sharper in IR mode than the camera it replaced (an old Ultra series DS-2CD5A46G0-IZHS) and the the IR coverage is great edge to edge (4mm lens). To me the image is a bit sharper all round than my ColorVu equivalents (DS-2387G2-LU [G5 platform])

It has three modes:
IR Supplement Light - works as standard Colour/Mono
White Supplement Light - works as standard Colorvu with 24/7 Colour (it does not have the 'White Light' in event linkage as the ColorVu's did, as it's no longer necessary due to...
Smart Supplement Light - Colour in day, mono with IR at night, switches to colour with white LED if an event is detected (reverting back to mono with IR after a short time)

Last edited:

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So you would choose this over the regular 8mp colobus cameras with the 1.2 sensors?

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you would choose this over the regular 8mp colobus cameras with the 1.2 sensors?
For the 4MP Hybrid light vs 4MP Colorvu, I'd choose the Hybrid light version as both 4MP versions share the 1/1.8" sensor (except if strobe light/speaker were needed as the Hybrid light model doesn't have a Live Guard variant (at least not yet in the UK)

A more difficult choice for the 8MP models though. The one I've installed is in the back garden and has zero supplemental light/street lighting visible on a night, totally pitch black, so the Hybrid is preferred as I don't want to see the white LED. However where there's enough supplemental light around the camera that a reasonable exposure time can be set without needing the integral LED, the ColorVu with larger sensor might be preferred. I'd have to do a side by side comparison in the same location to decide which is preferred.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For the 4MP Hybrid light vs 4MP Colorvu, I'd choose the Hybrid light version as both 4MP versions share the 1/1.8" sensor (except if strobe light/speaker were needed as the Hybrid light model doesn't have a Live Guard variant (at least not yet in the UK)

A more difficult choice for the 8MP models though. The one I've installed is in the back garden and has zero supplemental light/street lighting visible on a night, totally pitch black, so the Hybrid is preferred as I don't want to see the white LED. However where there's enough supplemental light around the camera that a reasonable exposure time can be set without needing the integral LED, the ColorVu with larger sensor might be preferred. I'd have to do a side by side comparison in the same location to decide which is preferred.
I’d be curious why they didn’t use the 1/1.2 sensor. Maybe to save money or a technical reason behind the choice and the switch to IR.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’d be curious why they didn’t use the 1/1.2 sensor. Maybe to save money or a technical reason behind the choice and the switch to IR.
My guess is that it's a current technical limitation. The Hybrid light models use a new lens design with 'super confocal' technology. The focus point for visible light and infra red light are different and the lens has been designed to counter this focus shift by reducing optical light dispersion, so that the point of focus for both visible and white light are the same. The large f1.0 aperture makes the depth of field small and perhaps combined with the larger 1/1.2" sensor, that focus shift (variation in the point of focus between white light and IR) would be too great to be dealt with using super confocal.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Still my question unanswered. Will F1.0 make the image quality clearer & better in IR mode because I will force it to be in IR mode all the time (reason I'm considering this model because I assume F1.0 will give better image quality compare to normal IR cam)
TIA
The larger the F Stop (ie the smaller the number) the less depth of field will be in focus. Moving to a F1.0 will result in a very narrow depth of field being in focus. Also, while the F stop shouldn't theoretically change the image quality, many lenses do have image problems at the extreme ends of their aperture's range due to the quality of the actual lenses (I'd say glass, but I don't want to suggest that all lenses are made of glass) used and the lens design itself.

So to answer your question, it really depends on the situation/goals and the actual hardware you are using. The limited depth of field might or might not be a problem in your particular use case and moving the lens to it's largest aperture (f1.0) might or might not decrease the quality of the image as well.

Basically there is no way we can really give you a definitive answer.