New invention idea for Spider webs near external IP Cameras

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since owning IP cameras and using them outdoors, I've always had problems with spider webs obscuring the video.
Tried simple techniques like clearing the webs every week, Spider-x (only works for a few days) and even a separate Illuminator away from cam, but here's an idea.

I have a spare POE switch and cable going next to my IP camera. Is it possible to build a spider repellant buzzer (like those indoor ones which give off a frequency which makes bugs run a mile) which will run from the voltage from a POE switch Ethernet cable?

Any ideas, just thinking of ways to remedy this issue once and for all

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just spray the area with mint soaked in water, spiders hate mint and won't make webs near it at all.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some cameras, including the two Hikvision models I have, let you turn off the internal illuminator. When I did that, relying only on a separate illuminator several feet away, there are no more spiders (at least, in front of the camera; it looks like a haunted house right in front of the light).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those don't actually work.
x2 those are a power wasting gimmick; do some research.

external IR only works if you disable the onboard IR too.. if its still running it can just attract more bugs and spiders as its just adding more light to lure em in.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Alexei

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive been using petroleum jelly smeared around the camera lenze body for the past couple of years and it works well.

It's cheap and wont wash away in the rain.