New LED streetlights!

CanCuba

Known around here
Dec 9, 2020
Havana, Cuba
Oh, joy! New LED streetlights were installed today. What I'm most interested in is the one on my corner which has never worked in the six years that I've lived here.

Well, it did work very, very briefly when a short circuit caused the cover to blow open and the bulb came down in flames. But we're not counting that.

The video is from last night. I'm going to use that as a reference against a video with the light on which I will upload tomorrow. The camera is a Color4K/X which just eats up the light. For those just joining us, there's an 19,000 lumen double panel LED light mounted to the left and above the camera.

Caveat: There's been a huge electrical generation deficit so I'm hoping that they turn the streetlight on tonight. Oh, and ignore the overflowing garbage. Apparently, there's a fuel shortage as well which affects garbage collection.

cap_NVR_ch6_main_20241011132715_20241011132719_00:00:01_01.jpg

View attachment NVR_ch6_main_20241011003606_20241011003616.mp4

They put LED street lights in my neighborhood a few months back. I love them. However, I did have to go back and adjust my cameras.

I'm going to see how much effect it has. It will really just be infilling the corner. I have the shutter set to 1/120 to deal with the rolling bar issue.

So if I adjust anything it would be gain. But I may end up leaving it as they don't always put the streetlights on.

What an improvement. The light is even spilling over to the cross street and those videos are a touch better, as well.

When I took the dogs out last night, a couple of the less savoury neighbours were complaining about the new light. I love it.

Ended up dropping the brightness and contrast. Even the noise reduction went down for both 2D and 3D.

I'm happy and let's hope they turn them on nightly.

View attachment NVR_ch6_main_20241012002625_20241012002646.mp4
View attachment NVR_ch6_main_20241012012219_20241012012242.mp4

Last edited:
I see CanCuba's place! See it? It's right there....really!
:winktongue:
BdZhYfS.jpeg

What an improvement. The light is even spilling over to the cross street and those videos are a touch better, as well.

When I took the dogs out last night, a couple of the less savoury neighbours were complaining about the new light. I love it.

Ended up dropping the brightness and contrast. Even the noise reduction went down for both 2D and 3D.

View attachment 204834
View attachment 204835

Those lights are definitely brighter than the ones they put up in my neighborhood.

Last edited:
Yeah they're great. Only trouble is the local authority will find out they can save a ton on their bills by turning the brightness down as they're dimmable. At night, our roads look darker now then when we had Sodium. Only advantage is the colour rendition. BTW, looks like gain / shutter slightly off in that video. Slight ghosting on those figures. We also had woke people moaning they were too bright and were keeping them up at night so they spent a fortune putting light shields on the lights outside of the homes of people who complained as well as turning them down.

View attachment 204834
View attachment 204835
So they are not on dusk to dawn sensors?

Reactions: JDreaming

View attachment 204834
View attachment 204835

Impressive to say the least relating to the light output. :thumb:

Our city is approximately at 94% all LED now.

It’s safe to say the use of LED lighting does save energy if properly specified. In our region we had thousands of them turn purple / strobe due to some kind of defect.

The defective fixtures were all covered under manufacturer warranty but the labor to replace them was ridiculous.

I submitted a trouble ticket in late 2022 and they only just replaced / repaired the light fixture in August 2024! :facepalm:

Regardless, our Main Street lights are no where as bright as yours! Than again the poles are more than 50 - 75 feet high.

The ones that line the side streets are about 20-25 feet tall with that old school British lantern decor.