New Machine for BI5

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My current BI machine is running Server 2008R2 and has worked fine for a while. With BI5 coming out, I am going to build a new box with Win10. I would like to try the hardware acceleration which I have not really been able to use.

What is the current status? Does it work with Cuda? Should I put a spare nvidia card I have laying around or just use the Intel Quick Sync?

Let me know if you have any other hints before I push forward with the upgrade.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My current BI machine is running Server 2008R2 and has worked fine for a while. With BI5 coming out, I am going to build a new box with Win10. I would like to try the hardware acceleration which I have not really been able to use.

What is the current status? Does it work with Cuda? Should I put a spare nvidia card I have laying around or just use the Intel Quick Sync?

Let me know if you have any other hints before I push forward with the upgrade.
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Let me emphasize one of the items mentioned in @looney2ns ' link: definitely put Win 10 on a SSD along with BI and BI's database, video clips on a surveillance-rated HDD....makes a BIG difference.

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was mainly asking about Hardware encoding as I had no experience with it, I can handle the other items, sorry for not emphasizing it.

For what its worth, I moved this system over to Win10 and I have the Intel builtin GPU and an Nvidia 1650 that I got on sale.
After installing BI5 and converting the 9 Hikision HD cameras to NVDEC, my GPU is at about 38% and my CPU at about 30%.
Prior to this on Server 2008 R2, the CPU was running about 60% to 70%.

I have only had BI5 up and running for a few hours so I am sure I have more to learn but so far it seems to be working fine.

Edited to correct CPU% after closing local console

Last edited: