New Member From New York

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wish everyone have a happy Thanksgiving! I would like to set up security cameras around my home. I see Ring cameras are pretty popular. But I wanted to do some research and ask around advises/suggestions before making a purchase decision.

I am looking to install six wireless cameras and one door bell camera for my home. And motion sensor activated, powered by solar panel with iClould connection.

I appreciate any feedback and advises.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well and Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

As you read this forum you'll find a recurring theme...wireless cameras and dependability don't go hand-in-hand. Whenever possible, go wired or at least maybe PLA (Power Line Adapter).

Reaction score
Then I would need someone to install them for me if the cameras needed to be wired. Is the general consensus that RING makes the best outdoor smart cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um no not by a long shot LOL.

We have many people coming here after being robbed and their Ring was useless....

You buy consumer grade stuff you get at the store if all you care about is what time it happened.

If you want to be able to get clear pictures, start looking at Hikvision and Dahua OEM cameras. Our trusted vendor @EMPIRETECANDY has a sale right now. 2022 EmpireTech Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday Sales

The video quality examples shown here of Andy's $200ish cameras versus an Arlo $200ish cam or a Ring $200ish cam are no comparison. We are not exactly proposing Top Shelf Axis that costs 5-6 times other cameras - we are recommending cameras comparable in price to consumer favorites Ring and Arlo.

Check out this thread on all the consumer grade junk (most of it wifi) that people have bought and look how poor the performance is. And don't think Reolink either LOL...

And in particular look at post #40 which is direct comparison between a better camera and the Ring that caught the same doorchecker on video in this neighborhood:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And then once you learn a little more, you realize you need the correct camera for the distance you hope to IDENTIFY someone at. This is the biggest mistake people make is thinking 8MP Ring camera on a 2.8mm fixed lens can IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away at the street. Not gonna happen with any 2.8mm focal length camera at night regardless of who makes it.

This thread lists the most commonly suggested cameras by members here based on distance to IDENTIFY. These cameras represent what most of us feel are the best value in terms of price and performance: