New member from Pacific Northwest

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello.

My name is Robert and I am located about 90 miles NE of Seattle in the Cascade Mountains. I'm a southern boy that relocated to this area 18 years ago and have come to love it.

My background is IT starting in the late 70's. Cobol was the first language I learned. My first home computer was a CPM machine. My career was in retail IT and I retired 5 years ago. These days, I am a windows guy. The only mac product I own is an iPod.

I started getting into security systems 7 years ago when I needed a system for my remote home. Here we only have satellite for internet. I used to use HughesNet but they got really slow. Now I use Exede which is really pretty good in terms of speed and reliability. However, I have a 10GB monthly data cap. That means normal video based security systems were out of the question. I found no turnkey system that met my needs to I decided to put pieces and parts together to build what I needed. I decided on WebcamXP running on Windows XP. Later upgraded to Windows 7 and Webcam7. Migration was a snap. That system used analog cameras each wired with siamese cable which has coax and power. I had a bluecherry capture card that surfaced to Windows via WDM drivers. It worked well. About a month ago, my capture card went belly up and I decided it was a forcing factor to get me to upgrade the system.

I now have a nice new Windows 10 machine and wireless IP cameras. I first tried to get Webcam 7 up and running but it did not like wireless cameras that much. I then moved to Netcam Studio which is the follow on to Webcam7. It worked somewhat better with the cameras but not for all models. Also it was clunky and crashed/hung quite often. I decided to try BI and I have been pleased thus far but still have a few features to figure out how to implement in BI and some tuning to do. One challenge was how to power the new cameras. I liked the locations and there was power already there to power the analog cameras so I decided to use the power that was already there and use wireless. Some of the cameras work find but two on the outer edges only get about 25% signal so they won't stream. The connection is there, just no video. The reason is that I live in a log house built with big logs, most 18 inches in diameter. For those outer cameras, it means the wifi goes thru up to 54" of wood. I have a wifi repeater on order that I hope will solve that. If not, running new POE cables might be in my future.

On the BI site it directed me to here. I am a big fan of forums and have found most folks to be nice and helpful.

I won't ask any questions in this thread. Just wanted to introduce myself.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
welcome.. run cables, wireless sucks.. as an IT guy you should know this, wifi dont have the throughput to sustain multiple hd streaming devices constantly.. does not scale well at all with video streams that need to send realtime data nonstop w/out interruption.

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all for the welcomes.
@nayr - you are right. New cables will be in my future. Maybe not immediately though. I'm interested in learning about the camera wifi reliability. With so many new IoT products coming on, we've got to get wifi to high performance/high reliability. For me personally though, the bigger nut to crack is WAN. This metered, slow, high latency satellite sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a video surveillance device and a normal IoT device are two completely different beasts.. your talking about one that sends 10Mbps of data to a remote disk non-stop, and another that spits out a few bits an hour as it spends most of its life in power conservation mode.

take all the video cameras off your Wifi and it'll be good enough for everything else.. IMHO IP Cameras are practically wireless jamming devices, get enough of em together and they will trash the spectrum.