New member greeting and guidance

kmac

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi ipcamtalk,

I've just spent a couple of hours poking around this site and now feel that I at least have some bearings in the wilderness of DIY security cameras and systems. Whew. So glad to have found youl!

My immediate interest is in setting up a simple and inexpensive 2 or 3 camera security system for a small cabin in Maine. I've read threads here that have given me ideas about computers to consider (optiplex, elite desk) cameras (Hik, those sold on the Chinese internet sites) and software (seems Blue Iris is the go to solution there). Can one of you veterans suggest the best threads to review for a newbie like me who wants to build a basic but solid system and point me to the best forum to post a description of what I'd like to have in an ip cam security system where others can offer their ideas about how I should go about achieving it?

Happy to be here and thanks for all the information you've already provided!
kmac

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome!

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/12019-Share-your-BlueIris-PC-specs

Check this for ideas on what computers everyone uses. For your setup, an i5 will be sufficient.

As far as the rest of the stuff its all gonna come down to preference and you browsing around. We don't yet have a (start here sticky) for me to push you towards but everything can be found if you browse around and use the search function.