New member here!

Mjminino

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for having me! I have already learned a lot and there is so much more to learn, very overwhelming!

I have already made the mistake of getting Zmodo N-Channel Business Security System with 24 sPoE Cameras, 8 Wireless Cameras & 3 Repeaters for $1,000 and I was told that it is garbage, can't argue with knowledgeable people on this forum!

I took the recommendation and put in an RMA for the Zmodo (or at least trying, their website sucks)

This is currently everything that I will have left over. Obviously I am going to have to buy more stuff now.

8 Port desktop switch- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A121WN6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
6TB Security HDD - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LOOJ8Z8/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1000' cat5e cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019POIH2E/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would very much like to run Blue Iris, I have a fairly decent computer (details in the attached picture). I do believe that I should be fine in that area. and I will just install that security HDD into it and dedicate it to BI.

I have decided I want quality over quantity and I have decided not to run 16 cameras (WAY out of my budget with the Starlight Varifocal's). I have choose to go with Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) and I will be getting a hold of Andy for them.

The second image is my location orientated from the front of my house. I initially wanted 16 cameras 2 for each corner of the house and garage because a few days prior someone broke into my wife's car and I was angry and wanted a Fort Knox, but after reading a few threads, that is not necessary with quality cameras. The west side of my house is maybe 5 ft of property from house to fence so I don't NEED any back there.

I am going to hate life if I have to dig a trench from the detached garage to the house and that is why I wanted to go wireless, but it looks like if I want to do it right I am going to have to. I really just need the east side covered because that is where all of the traffic is around my house. Looking at the third image, would you just put cameras at (left to right) 12/11/9/10/7/8/1 or is that even too much? My absolute main goal is to view the front of the garages, but it would be nice to have one for the front door.

What else am I going to need to get this system up and running? In the process of acquiring the cameras, I have the wire, the HDD, switch and will probably get another switch for the detached garage so I only need to run one wire from it to the house... is there anything else?

Again thanks for having me and I greatly appreciate the help.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your CPU will be fine. You need some external IRs. The layout of the property makes it more challenging to cover. You are correct use turret cameras. A lot less problems with bugs and spider webs.

Dig the trench, its worth it. One wire is fine but two is better, you never know if you might have a problem with that wire later. Use a Poe in the garage.

You can cover that property pretty well with just six cameras. Put one up on the garage far left corner facing North. You will see how much coverage it will give you. It will give you a good idea how to place the others.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like your 8-port switch (leftover from previous project) isn't PoE, so I'm guessing you'll need a PoE switch for the cameras in your house, plus a second PoE switch (mentioned by @BubbaJoe) for the cameras in your garage (so you can have just one backhaul from the garage to the house).

If you haven't seen this site, definitely spend some time here:
IPVM Camera Calculator V3

In short, it should let you pull up a Google Map image of your house, then let you drop/move around a camera model to the various spots you want to location a camera, and give you a rough idea of what the coverage and image quality will look like. The free version of this tool limits the numbers of cameras you can add, but since you're looking to get all the same models, that shouldn't be a hassle. Just drop one 5231R-Z on there and move it around to your various corners, etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for having me! I have already learned a lot and there is so much more to learn, very overwhelming!

I have already made the mistake of getting Zmodo N-Channel Business Security System with 24 sPoE Cameras, 8 Wireless Cameras & 3 Repeaters for $1,000 and I was told that it is garbage, can't argue with knowledgeable people on this forum!

I took the recommendation and put in an RMA for the Zmodo (or at least trying, their website sucks)

This is currently everything that I will have left over. Obviously I am going to have to buy more stuff now.

8 Port desktop switch- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A121WN6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
6TB Security HDD - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LOOJ8Z8/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1000' cat5e cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019POIH2E/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would very much like to run Blue Iris, I have a fairly decent computer (details in the attached picture). I do believe that I should be fine in that area. and I will just install that security HDD into it and dedicate it to BI.

I have decided I want quality over quantity and I have decided not to run 16 cameras (WAY out of my budget with the Starlight Varifocal's). I have choose to go with Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) and I will be getting a hold of Andy for them.

The second image is my location orientated from the front of my house. I initially wanted 16 cameras 2 for each corner of the house and garage because a few days prior someone broke into my wife's car and I was angry and wanted a Fort Knox, but after reading a few threads, that is not necessary with quality cameras. The west side of my house is maybe 5 ft of property from house to fence so I don't NEED any back there.

I am going to hate life if I have to dig a trench from the detached garage to the house and that is why I wanted to go wireless, but it looks like if I want to do it right I am going to have to. I really just need the east side covered because that is where all of the traffic is around my house. Looking at the third image, would you just put cameras at (left to right) 12/11/9/10/7/8/1 or is that even too much? My absolute main goal is to view the front of the garages, but it would be nice to have one for the front door.

What else am I going to need to get this system up and running? In the process of acquiring the cameras, I have the wire, the HDD, switch and will probably get another switch for the detached garage so I only need to run one wire from it to the house... is there anything else?

Again thanks for having me and I greatly appreciate the help.
Your switch isn't POE, it needs to be.
The Cat5e you purchased is Copper Clad Aluminum. Junk, will cause you many issue's.
You want solid copper, buy from a trusted source: 1000FT Cat5e Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 350MHz, 24AWG, Blue - Monoprice.com

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to hate life if I have to dig a trench from the detached garage to the house and that is why I wanted to go wireless
That looks like a pretty short distance. Any reason you expect trenching to be so difficult? Is it under a slab or something?

You could move camera 10 in your drawing to the attached garage.

A pair of homeplug AV adapters could be an alternative, but you'd be pushing the envelope a bit with that many cameras. Actual speeds are much lower than advertised speeds for these adapters.

Mjminino

n3wb
Reaction score
Finally got the RMA for the 32 camera set up, which gets sent out Monday! Man oh man does Zmodo's customer service suck horribly!

I used the camera calculator @aristobrat provided, using quality over quantity, with plenty of recommendations on the forum if I get 3 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z and 1 Dahua IPC-HDBW4431F-AS wedge camera for the front door, the area I want covered seems to get covered fairly well.

I took @looney2ns suggestion and I am also returning my 1000' cable and getting the one they suggested.

As far as the switch goes I found this one, which will be plugged into an outlet in the attic, https://www.amazon.com/T1500G-10MPS-JetStream-sufficient-snooping-Aggregation/dp/B00E6LID0S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1519385663&sr=8-9&keywords=tp+link+poe+switch&th=1 If I understand correctly, if I don't want to run an NVR I will need a switch and if I do run an NVR I don't need a switch? I would very much like to not run an NVR if I don't have to and just run everything off my current computer with BI.

Going by the Cliff Note file being passed around the forums, it is suggested I get IR Array Illuminators with the accompanying power splitters/adapters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G6K407Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2RH2663HNZGL&psc=1 So if I get 1 for each of the varifocals It should help tremendously.

If I get this for the garage, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0198H6EUK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A399QJ4AUP5BQK&psc=1 or do I want to get this one https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Gigabit-Extender-802-3at-802-3af/dp/B01IR0RG74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519390881&sr=8-1&keywords=POEEXT2GAT to power the emitters and cameras and in the future I decide to put one more camera to view the area in front of the trailer, I should be alright because using the Y splitters (one for each camera/emitter) to the extender, still allowing only one wire to be ran to the switch in the attic.

The IPC-HDW5231R- Z camera uses 8.5W, and the lights referenced above require 12W, so 20.5W total power. With that mentioned that switch supposedly provides 124W so I do believe I should be okay in that regard.

My goal is to have the detached garage cable (running 2 and just leaving one free in case something happens) coming out of the back then down through the dirt and up the side of the back of the house into the attic through the soffit. All 4/5 cameras will run into the switch mentioned above so that I only have one cable going into my router.

Am I getting the general idea/concept of this?

Thanks for helping,

Mike

upload_2018-2-23_5-34-1.png

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Putting a switch in the attic isn't a good choice, heat kills electronics.
If you use Blue Iris, you don't need an NVR, that is your NVR.
You want to run all the cameras to a central switch, and also connect the BI pc to the same switch. You don't want all that traffic going through the router.
Do you have any street lights nearby?
If so you most likely won't need the additional IR illumination.
You're getting there.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome Mjminino,

Wow, you've already been given some great advice here.
( looney2ns beat me to mentioning the CCA cat cable.. definitely throw that away.. pure garbage imho will give you more headache for saving a few $ )

Glad you can return that Zmodo POS and get your money back.

Zmodo / Funlux - those folks really suck!
Here's a great example of the astroturfing they've been doing at another forum:

upload_2018-2-23_9-54-39.png

upload_2018-2-23_9-55-39.png

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, if I don't want to run an NVR I will need a switch and if I do run an NVR I don't need a switch?
Some NVRs come with a built-in PoE switch. Those won't require a separate PoE switch (at least not for the cameras that plug directly into them). For NVRs that don't have built-in PoE switches (and PCs running NVR software like Blue Iris), you will need separate ones.

Ditto on @looney2ns thoughts about the attic being too hot and possibly not needing IR illuminators. For the IR illuminators, I'd order those later... Get the cameras and see how they do first. For the attic switch location, I know only having to fish one cable down from the attic is a huge plus, but heat will likely degrade the life you get out of the switch. If you live in a high humidity area, that's a negative for the attic too.

The 4431 wedge isn't a Starlight model, so it won't be anywhere as clear as your 5231s in low-light conditions. If your porch is always well lit, this may not be an issue. I think the 4231 models are the Starlight models. Neither the 4431/4231 are varifocal. You'll have to pick a fixed lens size ... 2.7mm, 3.6mm, etc... Definitely play with the lens choice on the camera calculator and make sure it's not too wide/narrow, as the field-of-view can't be changed after you buy it.

I've never used a POE splitter/extender (so no first-hand experience with them), but that seems logical for your install. If your garage has power and isn't a gazillion degrees during the summer, you might consider getting a traditional PoE switch. This would give you more ports for whatever comes up later (like putting a WiFi access point out there or what not).

Mjminino

n3wb
Reaction score
I have decided to just go ahead and get another camera for in front of the trailer and get rid of the wedge and just use another Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for a total of 5.

It has been suggested to me that I get rid of the splitter in the garage and just use another switch. I found a cheaper switch than the one I listed above. It provides 6 more watts of power, with great reviews, and for the same price as the other one I can buy 2 and accomplish what was suggested, which will also give me room for expansion if the need arises. I know you guys are looking out for me, and I truly truly appreciate it, but quite a few reviews state they placed this unit in the attic. I guess if something goes wrong, I have no one to blame but myself.

https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Port...005GAATOG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I drew a diagram, could you please confirm this is how I need everything to be set up?

Garage - Both cameras go to uplink port on the switch - from the uplink port on the switch, I run a wire to any opening on the 9 port switch in the attic.
Attic - Other 3 cameras run to the switch, the wire from the garage switch just runs into an open slot, and from the uplink port I run that down to my router

As far as IR emitters, here are two pictures of the front of my garages at 530 in the morning. @looney2ns, how am I to tell if I will need an IR emitter without hooking up the cameras? I would preferably like to only get in the attics one time to set everything up and hopefully be done with it, another reason why I am just going to add that other camera now.

@looney2ns, you said "You want to run all the cameras to a central switch, and also connect the BI pc to the same switch. You don't want all that traffic going through the router." Could you elaborate a little? I was planning to use BI on my main computer to that 6TB security HDD. On this computer all I do is surf the internet and torrent. According to a Network IP Security Camera System Bandwidth Calculator, all 5 cameras using H.264/high video quality/20 fps uses only 31.34 MBPS.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

looks like you are off to a great start, i see a nice plan with IPVM.

For the detached garage ( info is thanks to other members who have posted ):
  • Run PVC conduit underground if possible,
  • Then use gel filled burial cable.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have decided to just go ahead and get another camera for in front of the trailer and get rid of the wedge and just use another Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for a total of 5.

It has been suggested to me that I get rid of the splitter in the garage and just use another switch. I found a cheaper switch than the one I listed above. It provides 6 more watts of power, with great reviews, and for the same price as the other one I can buy 2 and accomplish what was suggested, which will also give me room for expansion if the need arises. I know you guys are looking out for me, and I truly truly appreciate it, but quite a few reviews state they placed this unit in the attic. I guess if something goes wrong, I have no one to blame but myself.

https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Port...005GAATOG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I drew a diagram, could you please confirm this is how I need everything to be set up?

Garage - Both cameras go to uplink port on the switch - from the uplink port on the switch, I run a wire to any opening on the 9 port switch in the attic.
Attic - Other 3 cameras run to the switch, the wire from the garage switch just runs into an open slot, and from the uplink port I run that down to my router

As far as IR emitters, here are two pictures of the front of my garages at 530 in the morning. @looney2ns, how am I to tell if I will need an IR emitter without hooking up the cameras? I would preferably like to only get in the attics one time to set everything up and hopefully be done with it, another reason why I am just going to add that other camera now.

@looney2ns, you said "You want to run all the cameras to a central switch, and also connect the BI pc to the same switch. You don't want all that traffic going through the router." Could you elaborate a little? I was planning to use BI on my main computer to that 6TB security HDD. On this computer all I do is surf the internet and torrent. According to a Network IP Security Camera System Bandwidth Calculator, all 5 cameras using H.264/high video quality/20 fps uses only 31.34 MBPS.
Poe switch in garage, plug cameras into poe ports.
Cable that goes back to the house plugs into the uplink port of garage switch.
At the house switch, plug cable from garage into it's uplink port, if it doesn't have one, then any port will do.
Doesn't look like you need additional IR illuminators.

Before mounting any cameras, it's always best to setup a test rig with a 8'x2x4, 5gal bucket, and rocks or sand.
Mount cam on test rig, and test each location for 24hrs or more prior to mounting permanently.

Do what you want, but it's advised to not run the camera network traffic through the router. You can always put another gig switch in front of the router, then attic and BI computer feed connects to that.