New member needing some insights

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have stumbled onto this forum looking for answers. Currently I am using 16 channel dvr system that I had installed 15 years ago for my store that is showing signs of going out so I'm in the market to upgrade them.

I know I want to get BI and 16 4k or possibly 12MP cameras to upgrade to.

What I'm getting confused is if I record 24/7 in highest quality and have live view of the cameras during store hours, is the encoding only for the sub stream I'll be viewing while it's on the tv screen or is the whole 16 main stream (being recorded) + 16 sub stream (being viewed) use up the cpu to encode.

I was thinking of getting maybe I9 - 13900 and use the intel hardware decode if the recording is also getting encoded.

If the direct recording is not being encoded and doesn't use up the cpu then I would like to know a good range of the cpu I should consider.

I do want to lower the power consumption as much as possible to be not have to cool the system as much. The area where the pc will be located is really dusty so I really wanted to build a fanless pc setup.

If I can confirm the cpu is not being used to encode the high quality main stream that is being recorded then I think I would have a better idea of the system I should build.

Cameras I plan on getting are Reolink 4K Duo 2 PoE, 4K RLC-820A and 12MP RLC-1224A

Thanks for any input in this matter.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

The encoding is only for what is being displayed.

Now your situation may be a little different since you would have more light, but read the 4K camera reviews here. While incredible cameras and perform well with little light, they have a very narrow focus depth and anything shorter or longer than that distance is fuzzy.

It is better to chase sensor size than MP. See this thread.

Hardware acceleration isn't needed anymore. That was only needed back before substreams were introduced. The substreams allowed other CPUs without QuickSync to be used. For kicks I disabled it and deleted the driver and my system ran fine LOL.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15% and BI became stable.

But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

The computer you are looking at is way overkill. Buy a used i5-8500 and you will be far ahead. Especially in a dust situation you don't want to spend the money on a new 13th gen.

In fact a 4th generation is still very capable. Not that I am saying you should buy that LOL, but it shows that a 13th gen is overkill.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras I plan on getting are Reolink 4K Duo 2 PoE, 4K RLC-820A and 12MP RLC-1224A
Please just say "NO" to Reolink except their new doorbell. As you spend time in this forum you'll read how they configure a small sensor cam to provide decent images (to lower their costs and increase profits) as long as there is lots of light and little or no movement.

Since when do you know of any people sneaking around at 2AM that will stand still and pose for you? Maybe provide additional lighting? None, of course.

Don't get caught up in megapixels. A 2MP cam with a 1/2.8" sensor will perform better in reduced lighting than a 4MP with the same size sensor.

Here's a great chart regarding ideal sensor size for various megapixel-sized cameras:

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

A trusted source of cameras is member @EMPIRETECANDY of Empire Technology. He has an Amazon store front. His Loryta and EmpireTech brands are OEM'd by mostly Dahua, are International English versions and can be firmware updated. He maintains a great repository of firmware and keeps his customers informed of all developments, new cameras and caveats. Last but not least, he provides excellent customer service.

Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on avoid Reolinks. How did I miss that in the original post LOL.

Stay away from Reolink unless all you care about is what time something happened. Their night time performance is horrible.

In most instances, you want to get a camera that will perform at your location for the worse situation, which for most of us is at night when it is dark and there is little to no light. If a camera performs at night, it is easier to tweak settings to make it work during the day than it is the other way around.

Did I mention avoid Reolink, especially at night they are horrible. Look at these examples.

What you mean a missing hand isn't normal LOL :lmao: (plus look at the blur on the face and he is barely moving and this should be ideal indoor IR bounce and it struggles):

1672013569648.png

How about missing everything but the head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL (hint - the person is literally in the middle of the image at the end of the fence)

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1672013751058.png

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your store? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two visible columns:

1672013780681.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the cameras can't see you

Here is the unofficial Reolink page where people have provided their best nighttime image captures. As you will see, they are basically useless. It also spells out why Reolinks don't work well with BI.

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome!

The encoding is only for what is being displayed.

Now your situation may be a little different since you would have more light, but read the 4K camera reviews here. While incredible cameras and perform well with little light, they have a very narrow focus depth and anything shorter or longer than that distance is fuzzy.

It is better to chase sensor size than MP. See this thread.

Hardware acceleration isn't needed anymore. That was only needed back before substreams were introduced. The substreams allowed other CPUs without QuickSync to be used. For kicks I disabled it and deleted the driver and my system ran fine LOL.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15% and BI became stable.

But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

The computer you are looking at is way overkill. Buy a used i5-8500 and you will be far ahead. Especially in a dust situation you don't want to spend the money on a new 13th gen.

In fact a 4th generation is still very capable. Not that I am saying you should buy that LOL, but it shows that a 13th gen is overkill.

Thanks for the info, great to know I don't need to get the highest CPU to use for my setup, thinking of getting a fanless setup if i5-8500+ is sufficient. :D

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please just say "NO" to Reolink except their new doorbell.
Not gonna lie, I was into Reolink from watching The Hook Up channel. My current system at my store only does 1/2D resolution max on only 5 of the 16 cameras, so when I installed one of the Reolink at my house as a stand alone, I really thought it looked great :facepalm: . I read Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube reivew, now I have better understanding of how these cameras work. Thanks alot :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Avoid Reolink.
Avoid the hookup.
You need a full fledged PC for BI, not some fanless under performing PC that will cause you grief from overheating.
This PC: Elitedesk
Add another 8gb of ram to it.
Add in a WD purple hard drive or two, and your on your way.
It will use approximately 30-35 watts when properly configured.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.