New member, new system help needed.

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have analog cameras and an analog (bnc) everfocus dvr. Looking to replace all cameras with the highest and best quality I can get. I currently have 8 bullets, 1 mini/micro dome/turret for front door (4” diameter or less, max), and an older m1034-w axis cube in garage. Will be running ip cat 5e. Also want the very best nvr that records all channels in 4k and hopefully plays all channels simultaneously in 4K. Has to have an hdmi out and h.264

Varifocal is what I’ve been looking at. Starlight would be great if needed. Need ir on all.

I also want to make sure any and all cameras and nvr’s are fully and easily upgradeable as to firmware that I can get right from Dahua or hikvision site or other. I’m looking at HIK, Dahua, Flir, axis, lts and uniview. Open to recommendations.

I heard back from Andy (empire) on a fixed lens bullet. Spoke to nelly’s Nelly system is just under $5000 equipment only, no install or cabling, for their hikvision 4k stuff. Local guy sells uniview. He’s selling me a 4k system per above (garage and front door will end up 4-5mp due to size), nvr and install and cabling for $7500. Another local company will sell me axis, HIK, Flir etc and install or will just install what I buy with limited support for about $1200 with cat cables and setup.

I set out wanting axis 4k, bought a p1428-d and then realized it has no IR and I’m not running Illuminators. Seems as though some of these other brands will do just as good a job for less, even compared to axis’s 4-5 Mp stuff. Their s2016 nvr is $3600 alone.

Nvr has to be rackmounted with full 16 channel POE. I did consider a rack server and BI, but I’m out of switch space, use unifi and another $48 port Poe with patch panels etc will run me closer to $1000 alone and limited rack space. Prefer all I one if posing Ken I’ll spend for a better nvr like I real-time or milestone if it makes sense and has Poe.

Looking forward to all th feedback I can get! Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are assuming 4k camera are better than 2mp starlight...depending on what you are trying to capture they are likely not...
remember not everything has to be racked...
you dont have to reinvent the wheel, every single question you pose has been discussed in detail on this forum....
almost any software based vms will run circles around a standalone nvr...

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
You are assuming 4k camera are better than 2mp starlight...depending on what you are trying to capture they are likely not...
remember not everything has to be racked...
you dont have to reinvent the wheel, every single question you pose has been discussed in detail on this forum....
almost any software based vms will run circles around a standalone nvr...
Thank you for the reply. I am aware that every single question has been discussed. Perhaps something has changed since some of those threads? New product, new issues etc.

As far as 4k vs 2mp, my feeling is if I’m going to invest the money to upgrade our system in full, why not buy something that’s a few years future proof? Perhaps.

I’d be glad to do a rack based server, separate poe switch I can possibly locate in the attic if the heat won’t destroy it. Most of the threads on pc’s surround desktop systems. Hard to figure out what I really need in a 1-2u server, especially if I’m running 4k. What I did read and take away is that the built in graphics card or even an inexpensive 4k capable card are more than enough for that end of it. 16 or more gig memory, etc. I was hoping to be able to make it a little easier and buy something ready to go, so to speak. I have seen some companies selling what looks like rack based dell servers and other brands but wow, seems a lot more involved with buying and setup. No?

4k needed? Probably not. Especially if low or no light poses a bigger issue at night. I believe I have 1.2mp now. I think going to 2 isn’t as noticeable an upgrade vs say 4-5mp. I’m not needing to read license plates but would like enough clarity to ID someone if needed. I wouldn’t be opposed to auto tracking auto focus on movement type cams if they aren’t outrageously priced. Haven’t seen many of st all in the level of camera we’ve been talking about.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I am aware that every single question has been discussed. Perhaps something has changed since some of those threads? New product, new issues etc.

As far as 4k vs 2mp, my feeling is if I’m going to invest the money to upgrade our system in full, why not buy something that’s a few years future proof? Perhaps.

I’d be glad to do a rack based server, separate poe switch I can possibly locate in the attic if the heat won’t destroy it. Most of the threads on pc’s surround desktop systems. Hard to figure out what I really need in a 1-2u server, especially if I’m running 4k. What I did read and take away is that the built in graphics card or even an inexpensive 4k capable card are more than enough for that end of it. 16 or more gig memory, etc. I was hoping to be able to make it a little easier and buy something ready to go, so to speak. I have seen some companies selling what looks like rack based dell servers and other brands but wow, seems a lot more involved with buying and setup. No?

4k needed? Probably not. Especially if low or no light poses a bigger issue at night. I believe I have 1.2mp now. I think going to 2 isn’t as noticeable an upgrade vs say 4-5mp. I’m not needing to read license plates but would like enough clarity to ID someone if needed. I wouldn’t be opposed to auto tracking auto focus on movement type cams if they aren’t outrageously priced. Haven’t seen many of st all in the level of camera we’ve been talking about.
you have not read the threads if you think 4k is furture proofing...in many real world scenarios 2mp starlights will produce a much better image....
go read the dahua varifocal starlight thread and see the videos...
why do you need a rack? only thing I can think of is OCD...
You likely dont have 1.2mp now...you likely have vga or 960h which is not much bvetter...

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
I don’t need a rack, I already have a 42u rack for entire home crestron automation, AV, network and current cam dvr. Why the ocd comment?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t need a rack, I already have a 42u rack for entire home crestron automation, AV, network and current cam dvr. Why the ocd comment?
I mean, a system that is rack mountable .....ocd is the only reason I can think of that someone would choose an inferior system or be willing to pay double for a rack mountable system vs a desktop...

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh. Well in that case there might be a little ocd in me!! Lol

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't fall for the mega pixel marketing. 2mp is just fine for most applications.
More pixels equals worse performance at night, unless you are willing to add lots of light to the scene.

I suggest you at spend at least a week here researching, before asking any questions.

As fenderman says all your questions have been answered here multiple times, just this week!
Your goals are to ID who did it, not just what happened.
Don't mount cams higher than 8ft.
Use this to get a sense of what you need: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 keep PPF>100

Also agree that Blueiris stomps an NVR in every single way.

Looking for some advice and direction!
Search is your friend.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just curious what does keeping PPF at 100 do? I tried to find instructions for IPVM but couldn't. When I put it at 100 PPF it says (?) the 4mm camera (4k) can only see at 20 feet?

Watched the video still didnt answer why. Thanks

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious what does keeping PPF at 100 do? I tried to find instructions for IPVM but couldn't. When I put it at 100 PPF it says (?) the 4mm camera (4k) can only see at 20 feet?

Watched the video still didnt answer why. Thanks
PPF=pixels per foot. It used to determine how well you will be able to ID someone at a certain distance. The higher the PPF the better the ID. You can see the changes in the guys face at bottom right corner.