New member saying hello to a great group!

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been looking at the forum for a couple months now, wow what an education! I have almost finished building by Blue Iris machine, chose to build it for the fun of it and for future proofing : )

I am almost to the part of purchasing cameras, which before following this forum seemed daunting! Now, I can safely narrow it down to a few brands and a few models within those brands.

Hope to get everything up and running soon!

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Been looking at the forum for a couple months now, wow what an education! I have almost finished building by Blue Iris machine, chose to build it for the fun of it and for future proofing : )

I am almost to the part of purchasing cameras, which before following this forum seemed daunting! Now, I can safely narrow it down to a few brands and a few models within those brands.

Hope to get everything up and running soon!
:welcome:

MR.R3D

n3wb
Reaction score
Which brands are you deciding on? I am taking a look at hik.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dahua and Hik, price and availability of Hik looks a bit better however, I'm leaning more towards Dahua. May end up with a mix, Dahua for identification, Hik for global view. My wife will only tolerate so much : )

I am finding it tough to decide on who to buy from, I want genuine cameras that can be upgraded without bricking or getting stuck in Chinese language:idk:

I inquired with EMPIRETECANDY but have not heard back yet.

MR.R3D

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan to keep all my cameras one brand to make it simple. Yes, sourcing seems to be a bit difficult. If you pull a trigger on something I would appreciate if you let me know where you got it from.

thomaswde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up ordering from EMPIRETECANDY
2-IPC-HDW4231EM-AS 3.6mm
2-IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Having recently purchased and installed a HDW5231R-Z I can say I think you're on a great track! Compared to most all the security cameras I've been around the Starlight Verifocal destroys. About to order some 4231s for a few overview spots too. I too was a little nervous about Dahua with the Chinese language and firmware concerns, so far they have been unfounded as I've had no issues not easily resolved. Good luck, looking forward to hearing about the installation!

MR.R3D

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up ordering 4x IPC-HDW5231R-Z since it seems like the "goto" camera that everyone uses.

Which software are you guys using for a NVR? Blue Iris?

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I haven't yet mounted by cameras but I've been playing around with them and I can tell they are going to be great.

I ended up ordering from EMPIRETECANDY
2-IPC-HDW4231EM-AS 3.6mm
2-IPC-HDW5231R-Z

Due to the demand I haven't received the varifocals yet.

Just this morning I confirmed a purchase order for six 6 mm lens 4231's. Probably going to take a month to get here but worth the wait in my opinion

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to get a feel for how a Dahua NVR would work, download the free SmartPSS software for your PC/Mac and setup the PC-NVR section. SmartPSS is the same front-end that interfaces with the Dahua NVRs.