New Member with a question (imagine that)

bdodds

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm happy to find this forum. It looks like a great resource. I know a lot about networking, a little about hardware, and nothing about cameras.

I want to install a camera over my pool table to record and potentially stream my practice and matches. My ceiling is pretty high so I want to have a permanent mount and not a "Go Pro" type solution. I have open trusses, can lights and soffits everywhere, so I can get any kind of cable I need to the device. I also have an adjacent equipment room with a fast PC in the rack to use as my server, PoE, solid Wifi (up to ac), and good power. I'm pretty sold on Blue Iris as my software NVR.

Now, for the camera. I've read that distortion can be a real problem with overhead wide angle cameras. It doesn't have to be perfectly corrected, but I do want to be able to judge angles and ball action. Is it better to have a camera centered directly over my table? Or, centered in the room at the top of the wall focused on the table (an ESPN type shot). For whatever reason, overhead cameras on pool tables seem to have more distortion. Maybe because of a fisheye lens? But that seems to be the optimum perspective for training.

What cameras would you all suggest? It's obvious which brands are preferred by reading the posts, but this might be special purpose. As always budget is a consideration, but I will pay for what works well (and easily).

Thanks all,
Bill

pool side.PNGpool overhead.PNG

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Whats the distance from the table top to the ceiling? Distortion is an issue with lower sized lenses (2.8mm and 4mm). I have a recently installed 6mm at my front door and don't notice distortion or much bending.

I'd imagine a 6mm, 8mm or maybe 12mm would be fine depending on how high you can mount it. You will def need to activate the camera and then get on a ladder and experiment with where you will mount it to get the best view. I'd say go with a turret but i'm sure there are pros and cons with other types as well.

I have also seen fisheye lenses have use post processing to make everything look normal. They seem expensive but it can be done.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
I have also seen fisheye lenses have use post processing to make everything look normal. They seem expensive but it can be done.
Google "dewarping". Most reasonable VMS have it incorporated these days. Some even build in a relatively useless "virtual PTZ" for the occasion you are using a 12MP fisheye camera and can actually use the resolution.