New member with a question

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210521-152508.jpg
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, so apologies for it being slightly different.
I've been using various brands of cams for years now. So I hope I can learn from you and perhaps help others too.
Today though I have a particular problem. I've had to install cameras owing to neighbour problems. Today when we arrived home, we noticed this object in a tree, directly facing our gate. The neighbours boy was hanging around this area this morning.
I was hoping that someone might recognize it?
This really is a nightmare family. Can anyone help please? Sorry for the incorrect intro.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
The tree in the foreground? Just above the crotch to the right side?

Maybe a driveway sensor? How close to your gate/driveway is it?

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I think about 6, 7 meters at best. Thier house is about 150 meters to the right of this picture. There's no reason for them to have something there. It's right at our gate. Yes, the object with a white top. There is what appears to be a cam in central focus. But what drew my attention more was the white strip about that. Sensor you say perhaps? Interesting. To see when we leave? It was a drone in our tree 4 years ago. They never stop.
Thank yoy very much indeed.

The tree in the foreground? Just above the crotch to the right side?

Maybe a driveway sensor? How close to your gate/driveway is it?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I think about 6, 7 meters at best. Thier house is about 150 meters to the right of this picture. There's no reason for them to have something there. It's right at our gate. Yes, the object with a white top. There is what appears to be a cam in central focus. But what drew my attention more was the white strip about that. Sensor you say perhaps? Interesting. To see when we leave? It was a drone in our tree 4 years ago. They never stop.
Thank yoy very much indeed.
The driveway sensor that came to mind is simply a proximity sensor that sounds an audible tone when triggered. If it is a camera that has an Infra red (IR) component to it for night vision, you should be able to see it with your cel phone camera. How to See Infrared Light The IR illuminators might not turn on until it starts to get dark.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think that is necessarily true as cell phone cameras do not have IR filters.

Turn off every visible light in your backyard and have your cameras running IR and see if the backyard can be seen by your cellphone...

If it were that easy, every crook would be walking the hood with their camera on to find the houses with IR cameras to avoid those houses...

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the replies. Yes, I have IR'S pointed at my gate, so I guess I'll see in this regard.

A sensor of some kind, device, who knows. My guess would have been a wifi jammer to shut off our cams. But I've never heard of one.
The other was a strong mic to listen in, but that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, thank you very much. This was not much of an intro. Apologies.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it might be some sort of trail/game camera. It sounds like it is on their property. I have no idea what the privacy laws are in Romania, but where I live there wouldn't be anything I could do about it if a neighbor a camera facing my driveway as long as it is on their property and not pointed to specifically capture images of the inside of my house.

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Thank you for the many replies. I thought I would wait until I had further news to reply.

It was my intent to get a close up as many suggested. But this morning after I looked, I saw it had been removed. Furthering of course my thought that this was mal-intent.

I'm sure it will be placed somewhere else. There were no IR lights, so I presume it either did not have one, or it was removed last night before dark.

In any case, these are summer people. They come with WPD. Weapons of peace destruction. 3.00am parties and noise. The Police fined them last year. I suppose this was another toy to play with.

Thanking you all again.

And with

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't let them get into your head.

For the past 15 years I have lived uphill 500 yards from a 25,000 acre lake, a public boat ramp is at the bottom the road below my house. The out-of-towners come with rap music blasting on boat loudspeakers and let their ice bags and beer cans and beer cartons litter the landscape.

I suggest that the next morning about 7 am when you get up and they're still in the bed after winding up at 4 am, set off a couple of firecrackers in the privacy of your back yard nearest their place and wake their asses up.

I've done it more than once and although I realize that when one asshole leaves another one takes their place, at least for a few minutes it does my heart good......:cool:

Last edited:

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there, sorry you have that to put up with.
My summer people own the house opposite. It was they who were fined for throwing fireworks in our yard for the last 4 years over Xmas/new year. Simply evil 'that family' sort of thing. Last year while folks were scared, they hung out here for over a month during lockdown. 80db all day long parties ensued. For the life of me, I don't understand how I got my deck closed in through all that noise.
I've not seen that device since. I suppose its waiting for another place. 3 years ago there was an RC car with a camera. Really sick in the head people with a 20 old spoiled brat.
Thanks for the reply.

Be well

Don't let them get into your head.

For the past 15 years I have lived uphill 500 yards from a 25,000 acre lake, a public boat ramp is at the bottom the road below my house. The out-of-towners come with rap music blasting on boat loudspeakers and let their ice bags and beer cans and beer cartons litter the landscape.

I suggest that the next morning about 7 am when you get up and they're still in the bed after winding up at 4 am, set off a couple of firecrackers in the privacy of your back yard nearest their place and wake their asses up.

I've done it more than once and although when one asshole leaves another one takes their place, for a few minutes it does my heart good......:cool:

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its hard to say by the picture.
Try sneak from behind so you don't trigger the PIR and have a closer look.

Is it on your land/soil/area?
If it has a antenna, it send the picture of you removing it, if not remove it and take a look on the memory card inside of the person who mounted it.
If it has an antenna , go from behind and cover the lens with black tape.
Remove it and disconnect the batteries and wait for the neighbours to search for it.

I guess something like this, a hunting camera for wildlife :

1621875716965.png

1621875817946.png

Brgds TheSwede

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Swede,

I'm thinking you are closest after looking around online.
I did see the boy with his cell phone looking at it.
(Are these things wifi?).

Anyway, for now I don't see it.
I suppose that's something.

Thanking responders again.

Its hard to say by the picture.
Try sneak from behind so you don't trigger the PIR and have a closer look.

Is it on your land/soil/area?
If it has a antenna, it send the picture of you removing it, if not remove it and take a look on the memory card inside of the person who mounted it.
If it has an antenna , go from behind and cover the lens with black tape.
Remove it and disconnect the batteries and wait for the neighbours to search for it.

I guess something like this, a hunting camera for wildlife :

View attachment 90489

View attachment 90490

Brgds TheSwede

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol! Oh I'm pretty sure they have it somewhere. They even have an 'on/off' dog, a Doberman. Last night this Dog kept me awake until 1.25am.
Funny that, it was quiet all day long that day. Thier last dog mysteriously died, the one before that, sent to some local glue factory or something.
What I don't get is that they have 3 ip cams pointed in my gates direction. Why anything else?
It's legal, covers thier yard, but us too.
Strange folks are, truly.

Check the whole area carefully. They may have moved it if they saw you taking picture of it. (yes, I'm a paranoid :) )

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To trigger them its a PIR pointing forward.
So it is possible to sneak up from behind.

It not Wi-Fi its 3/4/5G to a cloudservice.

A have these in the forrest to see animals.

/TheSwede

Last edited:

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Put some flags or advertisement flags at your front and some wrong installed halogenlamps that triggers from whatever.... or a timer every 10 minutes.

Annoying is fun when needed