New migration PC, need help with folders "new" and "storage"

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That was me, not @bob2701 who has the rolled back driver. I already said the rolled back driver was 20.19.15.4463. I don't have a link to it, Win10 automatically installs it when I uninstall/roll back newer drivers that disable hardware acceleration.

My i5-6600 is just as old as your i7-6700, and I have the GPU column in task manager. You should have it too.

What is the motherboard in your Thinkstation P310? Try downloading drivers there. eg:
workstations :: thinkstation p series workstations :: thinkstation p310 Lenovo PC Support - US

Last edited:

Dauv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok the last hour of my life is gone and I will never get it back....ugh
That was a nightmare.
Turns out I must have had something wrong in the hardware id section of the policy I set up to block updating the GPU driver, because the (windoze) update seemed to go fine, even though I did it via team viewer.

When it was complete, I was presented with a restart prompt, but then (upon restart) the computer was dead in the water, No remote access, no BI, nothing, so I pulled it out of it's spot, and plugged in a monitor and the GPU, NiC and myriad other things were simply missing from device manager. Nothing. My system restore point was missing as well, which I created immediately after getting everything set up and running yesterday.

Anyway, my first instinct was to try and install the gpu driver, but since the gpu was not being recognized by the system, I immediately went to the policy settings and deleted the hardware ID's I had inserted and then disabled the service completely. As soon as I did that, the screen flashed and everything came back to life, however, a newer driver had been installed for the gpu. Fortunately, the rollback function showed the 4664 driver I installed yesterday, and it reinstalled that seamlessly.

Nonetheless, the GPU feature is still missing from task manager, so not really sure what is going on there since your driver is older than mine, so there really should not be any reason that feature is missing in mine.

Alas, the system is back up and running smoothly now, so it may just be that either live with the driver updating itself when windows updates, or I simply revert back to no hardware acceleration. Option 2 seems completely viable since the system does not seem to be hampered without it, but we shall see...

In the meantime, I am going to look for some more information on properly blocking the driver update without screwing the system when it reboots...... I definitely missed something there....

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check what Windows 10 version is on the machine now after updates. Mine has 10.0.17763

Dauv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I will say is that this PC came without an OS, so I installed from an image on USB using regular processes. When the install completed, I did not have to activate windows. The activation key's last 3 characters were OEM when I checked, but I thought nothing of it. I just changed the activation key to a retail key that I have and it took/activated successfully.

Unfortunately, after I restarted the PC BI de-registered itself, and now will not allow me to re-input my activation/registration key..... Is there anything I can do to solve this?

<edit>

Opened an elevated command prompt and used :
"slmgr.vbs /dlv" to find the activation ID of the newly installed activation key.
Then used: "slmgr /upk <insert activation ID here>" to deactivate the new product key.
Then: Opened blue iris back up (which had in fact been hobbled by the new Win10 product key). It was now back to registered mode, so I de-registered it and closed it.
Then: Opened up windows activation and re-activated the new product key.
Then: Opened up BI again and registered using my product key and it took it.

That was a lot of work I created for myself, but at least I was able to get back to zero by following the steps I outlined..... What a hassle....

Now onto what I see in WIn10, Here (attached image) is what I see. The main question is is the system somehow hobbled by originally installing and activating the OEM version? Was this mind screwing I just went through all for naught because I am going to need to start with a fresh install using a new retail activation key?

Attachments

Last edited: