New NVR and cams, trying to set basic SMD and push notifications

Rack201

n3wb
Reaction score
Got my new NVR8CH-8P-AI and some IPC-HDW5442-ZE-S3 cams online. Trying to get my head around some basic detection and push notifications to DMSS. Cams successfully added to the NVR and I can access through the NVR gui. NVR is added to DMSS via p2p.

Thought I’d start with basic SMD first. On the cams, under AI Config smart plan, I have Acupick disabled and video metadata enabled, and a yellow box around the full cam in the next step, with people detection, nonmotor and vehicle detect all enabled.

On the NVR under Alarm, I see corresponding detections but nothing under AI.

Not receiving any push alerts to DMSS. Probably confused about whether I want to set detection config on the NVR or cams or both? Clearly much to learn.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You can basically set up two different rules, one on the camera and one on the NVR I believe, I dont have one of the newer AI NVRs

Recommend you start On the cameras themselves anyway (not the NVR UI) but the individual camera web GUI, you'll need to enable Video Detection (MD) with Event Linkage "Record", and define your area AND enable Smart Motion Detection (SMD). SMD is an overlay on top of regular MD. This will in theory limit detection to only Human/Vehicle
Save/Refresh.

You dont want Video Metadata enabled for SMD. VMD is a separate thing, and it will conflict with SMD or any other AI rule. SMD will run without a Smart Plan

All that said, most of us prefer IVS over SMD. Its more accurate and less false alerts. Suggest you use IVS Smartplan and get familiar with tripwire and Intrusion zones in IVS

For alerts to DMSS
1- you must enable P2P on the NVR (under Network)
2- Scan the QR code and add the NVR to the DMSS modile App,
3- On the NVR Under "Security"/System Services enable Mobile Push Notifications
4- On DMSS, using the 3 dots on the main screen of your NVR listing, choose Device Details, then Multi-Channel Alarm Subscription, here you will choose what alerts to receive in DMSS. You must have those triggers set on the camera to be able to receive an alert. (cant receive IVS alerts is IVS isnt enabled on the camera)

Rack201

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! Have An IVS/Tripwire setup and working nicely. Just wondering if I actually need Event Linkage - Record under MD as well as the Tripwire rule?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Both can/do record separately/independently yes.

But you’re not going to be happy with the false alerts like shadows from trees, bugs at night, leaves and squirrels using MD.

I have two cameras I run MD on in very limited areas (in addition to IVS)
Both are very protected entrance ways, no sun shadows, no plants that move with the wind, etc. And only a very small area of the whole picture is defined for motion, like 25 square ft.
The benefit of MD is to pick up critters that IVS will ignore. Otherwise, turn it off.

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can basically set up two different rules, one on the camera and one on the NVR I believe, I dont have one of the newer AI NVRs

Recommend you start On the cameras themselves anyway (not the NVR UI) but the individual camera web GUI, you'll need to enable Video Detection (MD) with Event Linkage "Record", and define your area AND enable Smart Motion Detection (SMD). SMD is an overlay on top of regular MD. This will in theory limit detection to only Human/Vehicle
Save/Refresh.

You dont want Video Metadata enabled for SMD. VMD is a separate thing, and it will conflict with SMD or any other AI rule. SMD will run without a Smart Plan

All that said, most of us prefer IVS over SMD. Its more accurate and less false alerts. Suggest you use IVS Smartplan and get familiar with tripwire and Intrusion zones in IVS

For alerts to DMSS
1- you must enable P2P on the NVR (under Network)
2- Scan the QR code and add the NVR to the DMSS modile App,
3- On the NVR Under "Security"/System Services enable Mobile Push Notifications
4- On DMSS, using the 3 dots on the main screen of your NVR listing, choose Device Details, then Multi-Channel Alarm Subscription, here you will choose what alerts to receive in DMSS. You must have those triggers set on the camera to be able to receive an alert. (cant receive IVS alerts is IVS isnt enabled on the camera)
Good evening @bigredfish

I am sure this is user error so forgive me. Just got my first camera, (no NVR yet) same as above, to use as a test camera at different install locations. I have not installed anywhere yet cause it's too damn cold here in the midwest so I am just trying to familiarize myself with MD, SMD and such just like the author of this thread. I have tried to follow your instructions here but have manage to not get it to work and I am getting errors. Again, my fault Im sure but bear with me please..LOL

I am making making changed to camera GUI
Enabled Video Detection with Event Linkage record and defined area with all red blocks for entire FOVScreenshot 2024-01-14 at 6.47.07 PM.png

When you say, "You dont want Video Metadata enabled for SMD. VMD is a separate thing, and it will conflict with SMD or any other AI rule. SMD will run without a Smart Plan" I had to disable "AcuPick" in order to get access to the greyed out section below is including "Video Metadata" and then disabled it. Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 7.04.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 7.26.48 PM.png
Lastly, I tried to setup a tripwire, and when I completed drawing the wire and hit apply, I got an error, "Please draw graphic" The error messaged went about before I could grab the screenshot.
Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 8.03.22 PM.png

Soooooo, what am I missing. Obviously I have missed something here. Sorry in advance and I appreciate your help!!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No most of that sounds ok.... hmmm

I assume you went to "Smart PLan" and enabled IVS?
Ok after thinking, Go back and look, is the IVS rule intact? If so I think you're OK

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No most of that sounds ok.... hmmm

I assume you went to "Smart PLan" and enabled IVS?
Ok after thinking, Go back and look, is the IVS rule intact? If so I think you're OK
Yea, "Smart PLan" is where I enabled "IVS" and then attempted to create the "Tripwire" rule... The rule did not stick...
Macbook Air using Chrome if that matters however Ive been using this computer all day fiddling with settings and everything seems to "stick" and function just fine.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Duh, sorry, you had it where I could least see it, in front of my face :rolleyes:

Ok likely a browser issue, classic on drawing IVS lines. We always recommend IE, but mebbe you can get it to work with Pale Moon
Pale Moon downloads

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Duh, sorry, you had it where I could least see it, in front of my face :rolleyes:

Ok likely a browser issue, classic on drawing IVS lines. We always recommend IE, but mebbe you can get it to work with Pale Moon
Pale Moon downloads
HAHAH no problem.. I should have opened with "I have a MacBook M1 running MacOS." Just didn't think to mention since it seems all the camera settings Ive made have set no problem. Is the IVS drawing issue a common complaint.? I have read on here numerous times that IE is standard but I have also seen people post they have not had any trouble using Safari or Chrome on a Mac...Who knows...Apple always has to be difficult but I am so heavily invested in them, they have me by the balls. Ill try pale moon or my wifes window machine tomo and report back! Thanks!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
90%+ of most all functions will work on a number of browsers. A few, like drawing IVS lines, seeing all of the controls on the NVR playback tab, and others, have their own pet browser they like to play with.

Honestly the browser/plugin issue has been a mess since I started messing with these in 2016. It still is. I have cameras today, new, that will work great with Edge, then the next time I login they want Edge in IE mode, and one likes to ask me to run an executable recently included with the latest UI. Its a surprise any given day.
I find Bourbon to be a necessity if I'm planning on an extended camera/NVR session

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
90%+ of most all functions will work on a number of browsers. A few, like drawing IVS lines, seeing all of the controls on the NVR playback tab, and others, have their own pet browser they like to play with.

Honestly the browser/plugin issue has been a mess since I started messing with these in 2016. It still is. I have cameras today, new, that will work great with Edge, then the next time I login they want Edge in IE mode, and one likes to ask me to run an executable recently included with the latest UI. Its a surprise any given day.
I find Bourbon to be a necessity if I'm planning on an extended camera/NVR session
HAHA Well I got on my wifes WIN PC with Chrome and created the IVS with no problem and it stuck. Hooray! Good grief, now I have to ask her permission to do yet another thing....lol borrow her computer... I am not a windows guy at all.... looked like her machine has Edge on it....can you still get IE on her machine or do I just use Edge if Chrome starts acting up on her computer?

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @bigredfish ...Do you use DMSS app for push notifications? Got it all set up on my iPhone and all is working well but was wondering when I get the notification on the iPhone app, is there no way to get an actually thumbnail snapshot with the notification, rather than a generic photo the app attaches to the notification. I feel like I have read on here that it used to be possible and after an app "upgrade", now the notification comes with this generic image. Thanks!

Attachments

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you mean the thumbnails, yeah mine are all the same. No matter, I see the timestamps
Gotcha. So no “snapshot” thumbnail of what actually triggered the notification just the same generic thumbnail w time snap for each and every notification. It would be nice to have that so you could quickly browse the notifications without actually clicking and playing them , know what I mean. Guess I’m just being high maintenance.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I get it, but as small as they are, I dont know that they'd be much help most of the time