New pfSense server - not receiving BI alert images

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Got it! Not directly related to pfSense...

While testing what traffic I could get in/out of the BI server thought I'd change the web server port back to 80 or 81 as the default since I use a non-standard port. On that screen I noticed that BI was showing an odd local IP address of 192.168.56.1 while I use 192.168.2.0/24 as my LAN range and 192..168.2.4 as the server's IP. That's a selection that BI populates based on what it sees as available adaptors/IPs on the machine. Selected the correct 192.168.2.4 IP/adaptor, bound things exclusively to it, and the images magically started coming through.

What happens with the images is that the alert doesn't include an image as an attachment; rather, it just has a link back to the server to grab the image. The IP address shown on that screen is what appears to be sent within the alert as the address to look back to. The server itself actually is running on the correct IP/port assigned to the machine so that all works otherwise as it should. It's just that detected entry that's off and that appears to be what is passed in the alert link so when the alert comes though it's looking back in the wrong place for the image.

The 192.168.56.1 isn't any address/range that I've ever used on my network so that confused me for a moment. Turns out it's the default address tied to a virtual interface in VirtualBox which I'd set up to test something at one point. Thought that I'd killed that all off but apparently not.

So I think what happened is that at some point when switching things around BI decided to pick that IP/interface vs the 192.168.2.4/interface and hung onto that with pfSense in place even after things came back up. Not sure why it would change it since it has a static address assigned and that should always be available independent of anything happening elsewhere on the network. Also not sure why it would pick the right one when I have my other router in place. Just something about how BI does the network detection I guess.

Anyway, done. Now I can sleep again. ; ) Something else to check if anyone can't get images though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it to work! Now you can enjoy your pfSense install haha. In my opinion, going to pfSense or something similar like OPNsense from a consumer grade router is like going from a Ring doorbell to Andy's 4mp cams with BI.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Me too. That one was bugging me. lol Only piece that I couldn't get back working. Now I can break something else.

BTW, the backup/restore works well. Restored everything completely as best I can tell. They also have a nice granular way to restore only specific parts if you don't need/want to do the whole deal. Probably not news to anyone else but I was glad to see that's there for future use.