New planned NVR setup, is this possible - suggestion requested

supaabzz

n3wb
Reaction score
I am planning to setup NVR in the village home, where I'll have a few cameras setup within the building where NVR will be set up, but i also need 4 cameras around 150+ meters away from the house, those 4 will be outdoors. Might bury small pipes underground to route the POE cable. Just wanted to ask if the below is feasible. I think I may need a POE extender, but where would it go in the diagram below?
Any help appriciated, this is the plan I've come with after reading up, but I am completely new to IP Camera world.
NVR.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So there's no "mains" power available where you intend to place those 4 outdoor cameras?
And you can run only 1 cable from the NVR, not 4 cables?

EDIT: have you purchased any of the gear yet?

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
150m is 50m above what is recommended as the maximum length for an ethernet run (100m).

supaabzz

n3wb
Reaction score
So there's no "mains" power available where you intend to place those 4 outdoor cameras?
And you can run only 1 cable from the NVR, not 4 cables?

EDIT: have you purchased any of the gear yet?

I’ve not purchased anything yet. Just wanting ideas what’s best options. There’s power available at the outdoor site, however it’ll be bit difficult + wanting to avoid live power. Also want to use single Ethernet with switch to reduce cost of buying 4 100m+ cables. I will use POE extender to get more then 100m distance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck finding a single POE extender that can supply more than 25W which is perhaps OK for 2 cameras.

Also, I think you'd have to connect it via switch to the NVR's LAN port and put cams on a different subnet, not connect to a NVR POE port if there's more than 1 camera.

I ask about power at the remote location because if there's decent LOS (Line Of Sight) a wireless Layer 2 Transparent Bridge could be quickly installed and deployed. It would act as a single Ethernet cable for data, of course no POE; POE for the cameras would be provided by a POE switch at the remote location.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

Last edited:

supaabzz

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately no line of sight. Would worse case by have 4 runs of POE cables with extender, so each camera has their own CAT cables. Would that work?
just planning what would be ideal before I make any purchases. Not sure which NVR I’ll be buying but most common in Bangladesh is HIKVISION.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would worse case by have 4 runs of POE cables with extender, so each camera has their own CAT cables. Would that work?
Yes, as long as each has a properly-rated extender since each run exceeds the 100 meter limit.
I cannot personally attest to these but each extender can supply 25 watts, it states.

kd5mdk

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have power available at the remote site, I’d recommend using that. 150m is very far to run Ethernet, and you’d need to provide power for the switch and all 4 cameras over it.
You’d need remote power to operate the wireless bridge recommended above.
If you’re ok running cable in conduit, I’d recommend running fiber. You’d need a media converter at each end but they’re fairly cheap, or you can get a switch that has both PoE and an SFP port. A cheap example is the TL-SL1311MP.