New Puppy

Reaction score
When we finally moved into our 'forever' home, we promised the girls a dog. That was 6.5 years ago, and they are now over (mostly) their allergies. So we adopted a little lab/shepard/blue healer mix puppy, by the name of Skye. OMG...I had forgotten how much work puppies can be! But my girls are doing great with her and certainly helping to keep her busy and happy. She is just shy of 4 months old, spayed and up today with all of her shots. Amazing little ball of energy, and just about to wear my ass out...in a good way!20220326_190822.jpg

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, it's always hard. My daughters are 9 and 13, will be 10 and 14 in a about a month. It was time. My wife on the other hand, her OCD is about to bust at the seams. But I warned her about how much our life's would change with a puppy.
She is learning. Good thing is that Skye really likes her crate, so that is a battle already won. :)

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Consider looking in to being a foster parent. Organizations that place dogs often times need temporary homes until the final placement happens. I've heard that some orgs take care of expenses for food & any vet bills.
Of course, it requires a different mindset in that sometimes the fosters do not possess the qualities you desire in a dog, and you have to give up the pupps when they are placed.

Reaction score
When we finally moved into our 'forever' home, we promised the girls a dog. That was 6.5 years ago, and they are now over (mostly) their allergies. So we adopted a little lab/shepard/blue healer mix puppy, by the name of Skye. OMG...I had forgotten how much work puppies can be! But my girls are doing great with her and certainly helping to keep her busy and happy. She is just shy of 4 months old, spayed and up today with all of her shots. Amazing little ball of energy, and just about to wear my ass out...in a good way!View attachment 123371
That crate is the BEST thing going with a puppy!!

I can't believe it's been 4 and a half years since ours was that size....
Now, I say "Bedtime?" and she runs over and gets in, tail wagging. A little milk bone, and she snuggles in for the night.

1648414239938.png

Reaction score
That crate is the BEST thing going with a puppy!!

I can't believe it's been 4 and a half years since ours was that size....
Now, I say "Bedtime?" and she runs over and gets in, tail wagging. A little milk bone, and she snuggles in for the night.

View attachment 123427
Exactly. We got lucky. Of the three sisters, the foster parent said she was the only one that always liked the crate. She loves it and knows it's her safe space. We are getting there. This is my first time ever using a crate. Yes, they are great.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
My 5 year old German Shepard always heads to the crate in the evening. It's like their safe place, comforting.
She outgrew her old one, but she would still curl into a U shape to fit in it, head and paws handing out, that's how she slept.
We got a bigger crate and she still went to the old one, had to put the small one in the attic.

Reaction score
Thank you all. I use to do some volunteer work at the SPCA in Fredericksburg, VA. The shit I use to see...just got to me. Went there early one morning (I took my power washer and cleaned the kennels for them..then walked the dogs) and there was a box on the porch by the front door. It was moving, but I didn't open it until one of the ladies got there. Mixed in the box were dead and living kittens...many had been tortured, cigarette burns, etc. I don't like cats, but would never do that to an animal...I just don't get it. Then there was a dog dropped off in a box....all of it's legs broken. I tell you, there HAS to be a special place in hell for shit stains like that.

Regardless, thank you all for the warm and kind wishes...she has decided to keep us, I think. And she crate trained me! :D

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My son and DIL foster dogs for a local shelter in PA. Some of the ones they get, and they get the "hard cases", break your heart. How people can do that to a defenseless animals is something I'll never understand. My daughter does the same thing for a local shelter here in NJ. She spent two hours the other day just getting the dog into the car for the trip, then another hour getting it back out of the car. The poor thing is so beaten down it's afraid of everything.