New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got me all paranoid so I went to check and my chime is working just fine:
I am running an RCA model with an old laview firmware: V5.2.4 buiild 190716
Got LaView Doorbell with same firmware, Chime still working.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ditto, my chime is still working fine since January on my RCA HSDB2 doorbell variant running firmware=> Ezviz V5.2.4 build 191211. Also, my sage doorbell sensor has been working fine with my SmartThings home automation system for past couple of months.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For those with Chime issues and who want to try older firmware, let me know, I have most all previous firmwares.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ditto, my chime is still working fine since January on my RCA HSDB2 doorbell variant running firmware=> Ezviz V5.2.4 build 191211. Also, my sage doorbell sensor has been working fine with my SmartThings home automation system for past couple of months.
What is crazy is it is new EZVIZ DB owners with this Chime issue.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I wonder if Ezviz changed something on the backend to affect their newer DB1 units. Maybe something similar to them locking out RCA units from tapping into their Alexa gateway because RCA probably didn't want to share that cost...

davide169

n3wb
Reaction score
For those with Chime issues and who want to try older firmware, let me know, I have most all previous firmwares.

I just tried the LAView firmware (190716) and still no chime. I've also tried the newest HIKVision and EZViz firmwares.

My issue could be wiring though, its a brand new install.
With the power kit installed, should I still be able to short the doorbell wires and get the mechanical chime to work?

grampadeal

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed a regular old-fashioned doorbell and it works fine even with the power kit installed. Shorting the wires also caused the mechanical chime to ring when the power kit was installed.

The issue is the DB1, it's just not entirely clear to me if it's hardware or software/firmware.

rayt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems like everyone that has the chime issue is ezviz?
Mine is ezviz too and it was fine for so long, then one day, just nothing.. regardless of firmware

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That would be interesting to survey. Are all the people having a chime problem using the ezviz version? From that one datapoint, it seems to be a hardware issue.
The ezviz came out later than the other OEMs so it isn't impossible that they cut cost on something (new rev is not always better when it comes to hardware) or had a bad batch of component.

I have a spare ezviz... maybe I should sell it... :winktongue:

ipa4me2

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased an EZVIZ DB1 a few weeks ago when Amazon had them for $80 and installed it with the power kit on my 24 year old NuTone LA-140 mechanical chime with 16 volt transformer. Everything, including the chime, works as expected, even after updating to the latest EZVIZ firmware. It came with build 191211, and was recently upgraded to build 200904 using the EZVIZ iOS app. Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones, or maybe I just haven’t experienced these issues yet, but (IMHO, at least) it’s not just the recent firmware upgrade causing these chime issues. I really wish they would document their firmware changes with release notes showing what’s new and what bugs have been fixed, like most other hardware/software vendors do.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I shipped off my DB1 to EZVIZ yesterday, I'll keep everyone posted on return status and whether or not the chime works when the new one comes back.

If it doesn't, I'll try an older firmware, but I'll need to do some digging to find out which version was unaffected by the "smart chime" feature Alex is talking about. Alex - do you know which firmware version is the one prior to the introduction of the smart chime feature?
I don't know what you guys think about it, but this is more than a clue for me, I don't believe in coincidences. They screwed up BIG TIME. :)

1603921532866.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got a new EZViz DB1 installed the other day. After figuring out that the transformer was bad things were smooth sailing getting it setup. I can't get the mechanical chime to work though. Before I start thoroughly testing the wiring and so forth.... Is it possible the newer firmware is actually the issue? So far I've run the newest DB1 firmware (200220) and the newest Hikvision firmware (200321).

Transformer is a new 24v, putting out close to 30v at the output.
Mechanical chime is hooked up with the power kit. Its a Nutone but I can't find the model number indicated anywhere.
I did forget and re-adopt the doorbell to ensure I chose the mechanical option when setting it up. The doorbell itself will chime.

Should I just wait it out till its determined if the firmware is the issue or dig into the wiring?
Dig into wiring, because we don't yet have a solution for all those DB1 with the issue. So you are not wasting time, it's possible that in your case it's a first-installation-issue.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I purchased an EZVIZ DB1 a few weeks ago when Amazon had them for $80 and installed it with the power kit on my 24 year old NuTone LA-140 mechanical chime with 16 volt transformer. Everything, including the chime, works as expected, even after updating to the latest EZVIZ firmware. It came with build 191211, and was recently upgraded to build 200904 using the EZVIZ iOS app. Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones, or maybe I just haven’t experienced these issues yet, but (IMHO, at least) it’s not just the recent firmware upgrade causing these chime issues. I really wish they would document their firmware changes with release notes showing what’s new and what bugs have been fixed, like most other hardware/software vendors do.
There are small notes. But I had to dig around for a lot of time to find this "exciting update".

1603921784286.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I see you finally got an EZVIZ firmware (200220) update notice on your EZVIZ DB from your EZVIZ App, while your Current firmware is the Hikvision 200231.
Nope, if you check on top, it says "It's the latest version", in red. :)

Here you can see it better: the bigger window opens when you click on the "What's new" link.

1603929911873.png

Reaction score
I have a Nelly’s DB2 and my time keeps going from UTC -6 to UTC. I updated the software and replaced my transformer from a 10va to a 40 va as I read about issues with small transformers. I only have this issue when I connect it to my Lorex NVR with ONVIF. I talked with Nelly’s and they got me the new software upgrade but couldn’t explain it. I don’t see any reboots in the logs. Any ideas? I have not checked the voltage at the door yet. That is next. WiFi is -54dBm. 2.4 ghz. Other than the time zone changes, I like it.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Nelly’s DB2 and my time keeps going from UTC -6 to UTC. I updated the software and replaced my transformer from a 10va to a 40 va as I read about issues with small transformers. I only have this issue when I connect it to my Lorex NVR with ONVIF. I talked with Nelly’s and they got me the new software upgrade but couldn’t explain it. I don’t see any reboots in the logs. Any ideas? I have not checked the voltage at the door yet. That is next. WiFi is -54dBm. 2.4 ghz. Other than the time zone changes, I like it.
Yes, it's the NVR that is trying to set the timezone via ONVIF via sync settings. Check its configuration, there should be a specific option. I had this issue with my Synology Surveillance Statio nvr. Had to set sync to "by camera settings".

1603932362120.png