New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great news?. So it seems. A new version of the IOS EZVIZ-app came out (vs 4.03). And the release notes say: "We added a button that allow users to turn on/off the ring tone on the DB1 doorbell". Is this what I think it is? Can we really switch off that awfull dingdong sound of the db1 itself?
Well I updated my IOS-EZVIZ app and I cannot find this switch. Has anyone found it ?
I have the Android version and see what you mean, looks like a Dec. 3rd update stated the on/off ring tone button, but I too am unable to find "the button".

1576069262694.png

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It does indeed play a tune and I did select Electronic Chime in the app. At that point it asked how many seconds does the chime last and I selected 5. One thing to note is when I pressed the doorbell button on the EZVIZ DB1, the chime ran twice (one right after another). Perhaps this had something to do with the 5 seconds I selected. In reality, the chime probably last 2-3 seconds. I will attempt to bypass the chime tomorrow.
I disconnected my chime and wired the two wires together and am getting the full 18V at the doorbell. However, when I disconnect the wires, I get about 8V at the doorbell and get ~10-11V at the chime. I assume this is normal as they add up to be ~18V? Perhaps I just need to get a compatible chime?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I disconnected my chime and wired the two wires together and am getting the full 18V at the doorbell. However, when I disconnect the wires, I get about 8V at the doorbell and get ~10-11V at the chime. I assume this is normal as they add up to be ~18V? Perhaps I just need to get a compatible chime?
So when you wired the two wires together did your Doorbell work?

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So when you wired the two wires together did your Doorbell work?
Yes- sorry I forgot to add that tidbit. It is working just fine when bypassing the chime. I think I'm going to swing by Home Depot later and get one of the supported Hampton Bay chimes to test.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes- sorry I forgot to add that tidbit. It is working just fine when bypassing the chime. I think I'm going to swing by Home Depot later and get one of the supported Hampton Bay chimes to test.
Well Good News then your Doorbell is ok. If you go Mechanical, make sure you use the power kit.

Yeah I just looked up where RIng, Skybell have their fixes with Digital Chimes.

August does not even support it. Doorbell Cam Pro - Chime and Power Compatibility

Ring requires a diode:
Skybell has a circuit board they add:

I am not saying it cannot work, I know some users here have Digital/Electronic Chimes. Just not sure how to help here. I will try to take some time later today a read through some of their messages.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well Good News then your Doorbell is ok. If you go Mechanical, make sure you use the power kit.

Yeah I just looked up where RIng, Skybell have their fixes with Digital Chimes.

August does not even support it. Doorbell Cam Pro - Chime and Power Compatibility

Ring requires a diode:
Skybell has a circuit board they add:

I am not saying it cannot work, I know some users here have Digital/Electronic Chimes. Just not sure how to help here. I will try to take some time later today a read through some of their messages.
I appreciate all of the advice and assistance. I picked up one of the compatible electric chime models that is listed on EZVIZ's website from Home Depot just a while ago and will test tonight. I honestly think I blew / fried something on my existing digital chime the second time I hit the doorbell button as it has not allowed the 18V through since that moment and was working for 5+ minutes before that. I have some spare diodes lying around that I may try out with the existing chime if necessary. I will experiment this evening and report back.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well new digital chime worked no better, although it was behaving completely differently. It was acting like the new chime was just constantly rebooting. The doorbell had a "constant red ring" around it and we flash off and go back to red almost instantaneously. It just kept going through the same loop and voltage was dropping really low when it went off. My last resort is to try a mechanical chime with the power kit.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone tried / has to use the power kit on a digital chime? Just curious if that might solve my issues.

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used it on mine. I'd recommend you try installing it. I think its supposed to help ensure you are getting enough power at the door.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to “chime” in to say that during the past couple years on this forum, I have seen numerous times a recommendation to use a 24 VAC 40 VA transformer, which is more common for use in HVAC systems, and possibly easier to find.

The doorbell cameras are usually rated up to 24 VAC. I have installed one of these transformers in preparation for installing this EZVIZ doorbell camera, when I get around to it. My old SkyBell HD has been running just fine on this transformer for several weeks. I did notice my mechanical doorbell has more “ding“ to it, due to the higher power. I guess you could say that it needed more “cowbell“.

I also wanted to share my installation specifics, with a switch to easily power cycle the doorbell should it ever be necessary.

IMG_1291.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Long story short, I finally have my doorbell and chime working. In fact, I've got it working with my original / existing chime. Although it is a digital chime, I ended up having to use the power kit. Second, some patience paid off. It took a good 20 minutes after installing for things to start working. I noticed the manufacture says it could take up to 3 hours.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Long story short, I finally have my doorbell and chime working. In fact, I've got it working with my original / existing chime. Although it is a digital chime, I ended up having to use the power kit. Second, some patience paid off. It took a good 20 minutes after installing for things to start working. I noticed the manufacture says it could take up to 3 hours.
Wow, now I feel bad, wish I would of suggested the power kit to try. I will update the 101.
Glad you got everything working...Sorry for the run around...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to “chime” in to say that during the past couple years on this forum, I have seen numerous times a recommendation to use a 24 VDC 40 VA transformer, which is more common for use in HVAC systems, and possibly easier to find.

The doorbell cameras are usually rated up to 24 VDC. I have installed one of these transformers in preparation for installing this EZVIZ doorbell camera, when I get around to it. My old SkyBell HD has been running just fine on this transformer for several weeks. I did notice my mechanical doorbell has more “ding“ to it, due to the higher power. I guess you could say that it needed more “cowbell“.

I also wanted to share my installation specifics, with a switch to easily power cycle the doorbell should it ever be necessary.

View attachment 52054

Like your added on/off switch...

Fietspomp

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to “chime” in to say that during the past couple years on this forum, I have seen numerous times a recommendation to use a 24 VDC 40 VA transformer, which is more common for use in HVAC systems, and possibly easier to find.

The doorbell cameras are usually rated up to 24 VDC. I have installed one of these transformers in preparation for installing this EZVIZ doorbell camera, when I get around to it. My old SkyBell HD has been running just fine on this transformer for several weeks. I did notice my mechanical doorbell has more “ding“ to it, due to the higher power. I guess you could say that it needed more “cowbell“.

View attachment 52054

I hope you mean 24 VAC? These things run on AC, not DC :)

I have an Ezviz DB1 now, running on 18VAC, works fine!
Only want to have an option that I get a notification via Home Assistant or something.
Also looking to switch off the stupid chime on the doorbell itself.

I have a ESP8266 relay in between the doorbell and chime, so I can remotely bypass the chime and switch off the sound when we're sleeping.
Works ok, but the chime outside on the actual doorbell is still quite loud.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Only want to have an option that I get a notification via Home Assistant or something.
If you have an alarm system (or some other method of detecting open zones) you should look at the ELK-930 Doorbell detector. It will allow the doorbell to act like a security zone (open/closed status) and hopefully you can trigger off that indicator.

Fietspomp

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have an alarm system (or some other method of detecting open zones) you should look at the ELK-930 Doorbell detector. It will allow the doorbell to act like a security zone (open/closed status) and hopefully you can trigger off that indicator.
I'll look into it. With my old dumb doorbell I had an esp8266 with something like that.
This one:
But with this smart doorbell I get continuous false triggers, probably because the voltage is not stable when using it.

I've seen a project with a Wemos doing the same:

Maybe I'll try this and see if that works!

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hope you mean 24 VAC? These things run on AC, not DC :)

Also looking to switch off the stupid chime on the doorbell itself.

I have a ESP8266 relay in between the doorbell and chime, so I can remotely bypass the chime and switch off the sound when we're sleeping.
Works ok, but the chime outside on the actual doorbell is still quite loud.
DOH!

I fixed my original post.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the ELK-930! If you zoom in on my picture you can see the label on the wiring.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh, but they DO run on DC.

Mine is running off a 24v DC power supply.

I'm using a relay to sense doorbell presses and sending the signal to home automation

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I gave up on doorbells connected to my NVR. I bought Eufy 2K with a coupon and got it for $100. It works very very very well. And, after I installed the Eufy skill, everyone of my Alexa devices (10) tells me someone is at the door ;) so it also fixed the issue of my needing to run extra chimes and speakers through the house (really out by the pool and in the garage). The biggest selling point is it handles multiple users, so my wife has no issues using it.