New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I just spent two hours on it and indeed I finally managed to get through the wifi with the Laview_XXXXX passcode. I screwed up big time by activating the doorbell with batch configurator which means... I changed the admin password and cannot change it back to the activation code because the 6 letter code is too simple to be accepted by batch configurator or iVMS4200. It meant that the app could not get through the setup process because using my new password did not work with the RCA app. It uses the activation code for two steps and one of them must match the the hardcoded code. So... I simply decided to try changing the wifi settings from iVMS4200 so that the camera joins my wifi network. From there, the RCA app skept through the wifi settings requirement and asked me for my activation code. I used my new password once and then put in the activation code and I am now back in business. Now I know how to work it: the apps has restrictions as to what SID must look like for the doorbell. That's painful. The iVMS/ Batch configurator have restriction as to what the admin password must have, another painful thing. After inclusion, I finished the doorbell configuration on the Guarding Vision App... phhhew
What is weird is that even the Laview one app is expecting and HSDB2_XXXX SSID and Passcode, not just the RCA app. In the future, if this happens again, I will know that I don't need to do anything with the app.
So I gather a simple reset of the unit would not of worked? Or did you not want to go through the setup again?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Ezviz. Use your computer with the batch config software. Connect to the door bells ssid in your case Laview_xxxx and WiFi password it’s either Laview_your_doorbell_passcode (passcode from the back do the door bell) or doorbellID_your_doorbell_passcode. Once WiFi connected, open up batch config and connect to the door bell. Navigate to network and change the ssid and password to match what the app wants. Then it’s pretty straight forward.
Good luck.
So did your unit just lose it's WiFi network settings or did you change something in the Batch Config. Tool that may have caused this? Awesome fix though...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For me, I had never been able to get my RCA HSDB2A doorbell discovered by Google Home even though I can successfully linked the accounts between Ezviz and Google. I tried many times the past couple of months and Google Home can detect all my other Ezviz compatible cameras but not my RCA doorbell. I've been focusing on Amazon Alexa as I now have a couple Echo Show 8 but get same failure results. That is why I'm thinking my RCA(maybe by serial number) is excluded in the Hikvision(Ezviz) cloud backend as I'm running non-RCA FW and still can't get past this roadblock on both Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
Found this:

How to setup EZVIZ devices with Alexa Echo Show?
EZVIZ skills for Alexa currently work only with the following EZVIZ cloud cameras: Mini, Mini O, Mini Plus, Mini 360 Plus, Mini Trooper, Husky and Husky dome. Before connecting to Amazon Echo Show, log in to your EZVIZ App and go to the Camera Settings. Look for the “Image Encryption” and tap to turn it off. Change the name of your camera. Ensure that you select a suitable name for your camera, such as “baby room camera” or “front door camera.” Please ensure that you are configuring the EZVIZ skills correctly. Follow the steps below to properly configure EZVIZ skills with your Alexa app;

1. Log into your Alexa app
2. From the menu options choose skills
3. Type EZVIZ on the search bar, locate EZVIZ and enable the skill
4. Enter your EZVIZ username/password to authorize Alexa to access your EZVIZ account
5. Tap the “Discover devices” tab to allow Alexa discover all your EZVIZ device
6. Go back to menu list and select smart home, under devices you should see all your EZVIZ devices under devices

Please ensure that you have decent internet connection speed both for the Echo show and the EZVIZ device you have linked up with your Alexa. We do recommend that you maintain at least 1 Mbps upload speed per EZVIZ device on your network

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Found this:

How to setup EZVIZ devices with Alexa Echo Show?
EZVIZ skills for Alexa currently work only with the following EZVIZ cloud cameras: Mini, Mini O, Mini Plus, Mini 360 Plus, Mini Trooper, Husky and Husky dome. Before connecting to Amazon Echo Show, log in to your EZVIZ App and go to the Camera Settings. Look for the “Image Encryption” and tap to turn it off. Change the name of your camera. Ensure that you select a suitable name for your camera, such as “baby room camera” or “front door camera.” Please ensure that you are configuring the EZVIZ skills correctly. Follow the steps below to properly configure EZVIZ skills with your Alexa app;

1. Log into your Alexa app
2. From the menu options choose skills
3. Type EZVIZ on the search bar, locate EZVIZ and enable the skill
4. Enter your EZVIZ username/password to authorize Alexa to access your EZVIZ account
5. Tap the “Discover devices” tab to allow Alexa discover all your EZVIZ device
6. Go back to menu list and select smart home, under devices you should see all your EZVIZ devices under devices

Please ensure that you have decent internet connection speed both for the Echo show and the EZVIZ device you have linked up with your Alexa. We do recommend that you maintain at least 1 Mbps upload speed per EZVIZ device on your network
These the same steps for Ezviz/Laview/Imou/Dmss based off Hikvision's instructions. I've been using this instruction successfully since Spring for my other Ezviz compatible cameras like Mini 360 Plus (Annke)variant, Mini O (Annke)variant, etc as they get discovered by Ezviz Alexa skills and also with Ezviz Google Home. Only doorbell is undiscoverable for some reason.

I waited trying this on my RCA HSDB2A variant until after Summer because Ezviz didn't promise ONVIF or Alexa until their newer FW was released after Q2. However, even with newer FW including the latest one I upgraded to in early October from Laview doesn't seem to allow my RCA HSDB2A doorbell from being discoverable by Alexa and Google Home. Ezviz support says wait for new app update to see if it fixes it but still fails even with latest Ezviz app V4.0.4.1217 that I upgraded to yesterday.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At least you got EZVIZ linked to your Google Home. Does it show in your Linked Devices?
As far as the cloud, I bought the LaView and have never changed firmware so I am running 190716, so if I ever get Linked and if mine works I can verify your exclusion theory. Though I may probably be in the same boat since I do not have an EZVIZ unit.
No, the doorbell doesn't even show up in list of linkable devices like my other ezviz compatible camera variants.

Account linking is successful in both Google Home and Alexa as my other devices show up fine and I can say "show xxx" and view their live feed to that camera. Since the doorbell hardware inert are supposed to be similar between all the variants and only slight differences in mobile app/FW, you'd think my RCA HSDB2A unit should be detectable in Alexa and Google Home UNLESS Ezviz excluded my RCA doorbell S/N from traversing thru their Ezviz<->Alexa/Google gateway. I'm crossing my fingers it's just user error on my part so hopefully someone else with an RCA variant can confirm success with Ezviz Alexa Skills.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These the same steps for Ezviz/Laview/Imou/Dmss based off Hikvision's instructions. I've been using this instruction successfully since Spring for my other Ezviz compatible cameras like Mini 360 Plus (Annke)variant, Mini O (Annke)variant, etc as they get discovered by Ezviz Alexa skills and also with Ezviz Google Home. Only doorbell is undiscoverable for some reason.

I waited trying this on my RCA HSDB2A variant until after Summer because Ezviz didn't promise ONVIF or Alexa until their newer FW was released after Q2. However, even with newer FW including the latest one I upgraded to in early October from Laview doesn't seem to allow my RCA HSDB2A doorbell from being discoverable by Alexa and Google Home. Ezviz support says wait for new app update to see if it fixes it but still fails even with latest Ezviz app V4.0.4.1217 that I upgraded to yesterday.
Thank you for your share...

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I gather a simple reset of the unit would not of worked? Or did you not want to go through the setup again?
The unit reset itself without me interacting with it. I just didn't know what the new password was. Resetting the unit seems to reset everything except for the admin user password, the activations code (which are supposed to be the same but may not be) and the serial number. Each firmware generates its own default SSID and wifi password based on the serial number and the activation code when you reset them.

The big warning on the 101 should be to never change the admin passcode by "activating" using the hikvision softwares because they do not allow you to take it back to match the activation code. This is not reversible and will require some hoop jumping in the future because the mobile app are restricting what the SSIDs can be and they also expect the admin password and the activation code to be the same.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The unit reset itself without me interacting with it. I just didn't know what the new password was. Resetting the unit seems to reset everything except for the admin user password, the activations code (which are supposed to be the same but may not be) and the serial number. Each firmware generates its own default SSID and wifi password based on the serial number and the activation code when you reset them.

The big warning on the 101 should be to never change the admin passcode by "activating" using the hikvision softwares because they do not allow you to take it back to match the activation code. This is not reversible and will require some hoop jumping in the future because the mobile app are restricting what the SSIDs can be and they also expect the admin password and the activation code to be the same.
Do you mind writing up a warning for me to put in the 101. I have read ya'lls messages but don't know how to put it in a Warning.

Thank You,
David

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Warning should read like this:

When loading batch configuration for the first time and your doorbell is discovered, it will show as "not activated" under security. Do not click the "activate" function button. It will force you to set a new admin password on the device which, for any hikvision camera, is part of the normal setup process but will confuse the mobile apps for the doorbell. More generally do not change the admin password in iVMS or Batch configuration. It is not reversible and cannot be reset either by factory settings reset or firmware reload.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ken took a quick look last night, and discovered what we already know. There's no HTTP/port 80 web server running on this doorbell. :( I've offered to purchase one and have it sent to Ken for hands-on, but still waiting to hear back from him. He's a busy man, it's the holidays, and it's a Hikvision doorbell camera. You didn't think this was going to happen quickly and easily, did you?
So, Ken asked if I could get any API documentation for the DB1. I searched the net and didn't find anything specific, but did find a couple of e-mail addresses to try. First one, techsupport.usa@hikvision.com and their response:
Hikvision said:
You will need to reach out to EZVIZ support for this product.
Well, duh. I know EZVIZ is all marketing and no tech, the tech is at Hikvision. That's why I asked Hikvision.
Sent the same request for API documentation to techsupport@ezvizlife.com and this was their response:
EZVIZLife said:
Unfortunately, we don't have access to that information. The only way to use are devices is by using EZVIZ app only
Okay dude, you can't even spell 'our' correctly, you left a period off, and you admit you have nothing technical to offer. Techsupport? Really?!? :smash:

Vaguely reminiscent of the original Hikvision first gen doorbell "It doesn't support RTSP."
Hex edit the software, there are the RTSP paths/URLs embedded within.
VF is gonna go fishing with binwalk and a hex editor at home tonight.

Last edited:

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking forward to see what you find out. Try maybe to use a packet tracer like wireshark with an android VM. I used that to intercept and reproduce app commands to control some air filters before... Assuming that the app commands are local when the camera is on the local network, it should work.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Warning should read like this:

When loading batch configuration for the first time and your doorbell is discovered, it will show as "not activated" under security. Do not click activate function button. It will force you to set a new admin password on the device which, for any hikvision camera, is part of the normal setup process but will confuse the mobile apps for the doorbell. More generally do not change the admin password in iVMS or Batch configuration.
Added to 101, Thank You rafale, I changed it a bit and will probably/eventually move it to another area on the 101. Just want to find a different word instead of "confuse" :)

WARNINGS:
⦁ DO NOT change the admin Password in
iVMS-4200 or Batch Config. Tool. We found when loading the Batch Configuration Tool for the first time and your Doorbell is Discovered, it will show as "not activated" under security (IGNORE THIS), DO NOT Click the Activate Button. It will force you to set a NEW admin Password on your device (Doorbell) which for most Hikvision Cameras would be a normal process but in this case it actually confuses the mobile Apps for the Doorbell. - rafale

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Added to 101, Thank You rafale, I changed it a bit and will probably/eventually move it to another area on the 101. Just want to find a different word instead of "confuse" :)
How about "disrupts future re-inclusions/configuration through the mobile apps"

Reaction score
Looking forward to see what you find out. Try maybe to use a packet tracer like wireshark with an android VM. I used that to intercept and reproduce app commands to control some air filters before... Assuming that the app commands are local when the camera is on the local network, it should work.
Ken suggested Android, but I don't have any Android devices at home.
(Well, there's this one tablet, but it's pretty crappy, and I'd rather not mess with it.)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How about "disrupts future re-inclusions/configuration through the mobile apps"
Sounds good to me. So I included your original message Link with your name at the end in the 101. If you want go an edit your original so if someone clicks the link there is no "confusion" :) there is that word :)
Thanks a million for this Warning, it will help new owners not make this mistake...

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ken suggested Android, but I don't have any Android devices at home.
(Well, there's this one tablet, but it's pretty crappy, and I'd rather not mess with it.)
I am thinking android because... you actually don't need a device. You can run it in a virtual machine on a PC... And on the same PC setup wireshark so you can see the packets go in and out from the android app.

I did this a while ago. Had to refresh my memory.

Last edited: