New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just bought a POE doorbell for the office, and I finally got it set up in BI, but geez, what a PITA to have to set it up in the app first, just to turn on HTTP, ONVIF, RTSP, and RTMP access. Reolink, please turn these on by default.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm shocked by how reliable the motion detection is, virtually no false alerts after some tweaking
The basic motion detection triggers on all sorts of things, trees in the wind, light changes, shadows, clouds, bugs, rain (even after masking parts of the image)...
But it works well enough to trigger recordings to the SD card. You wouldn't want push alerts for the basic motion.

The visitor and person detection are more reliable, or were for me. Visitor still works, but I haven't gotten a person detection from ReoLink in probably a month at this point. Following a storm that generated a bunch of false person alerts it seems to have just broken. I may have to do a full reset, I'm running out of other ideas.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The basic motion detection triggers on all sorts of things, trees in the wind, light changes, shadows, clouds, bugs, rain (even after masking parts of the image)...
But it works well enough to trigger recordings to the SD card. You wouldn't want push alerts for the basic motion.

The visitor and person detection are more reliable, or were for me. Visitor still works, but I haven't gotten a person detection from ReoLink in probably a month at this point. Following a storm that generated a bunch of false person alerts it seems to have just broken. I may have to do a full reset, I'm running out of other ideas.
It's definitely YMMV; but this doorbell is a million times better than Ubiquiti despite not having a dedicated lens for packages

How do we change it to 4:3 aspect ratio?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do we change it to 4:3 aspect ratio?
convince reolink to sell a different model with a different image sensor :idk:
anything else and you're just squishing or cropping the image. I suppose you could physically turn the doorbell 90 degrees if you want to see packages.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
They should have incorporated a dual sensor or a bracket which can tilt the camera slightly forward from the top facing downward

convince reolink to sell a different model with a different image sensor :idk:
anything else and you're just squishing or cropping the image. I suppose you could physically turn the doorbell 90 degrees if you want to see packages.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
They should have incorporated a dual sensor or a bracket which can tilt the camera slightly forward from the top facing downward
im sure you can get someone with a 3d printer to make you one already, (if its not out there already)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
3D printing is the answer, IMO. Check forward and backward in the thread below, starting with my post:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are several out there now to chose from, or you can use the STL file from the attached ZIP file and custom make one in a CAD program and have it 3D printed...There are two available, 5 and 10 degree down...

HTH

Attachments

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just bought a POE doorbell for the office, and I finally got it set up in BI, but geez, what a PITA to have to set it up in the app first, just to turn on HTTP, ONVIF, RTSP, and RTMP access. Reolink, please turn these on by default.
And now I have it installed. I had to drill through two pieces of aluminum before I could get to the rear channel where I could push a fiberglass rod and chain through from the space above the drop ceiling, then pull it out with a magnet:
1713481792852.png

1713481875890.png

But it's in, along with two IP5M-T1277EW-AI turrets:

1713481993975.png

1713482016508.png

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And now I have it installed.
Hmmm. I don't see any backlight compensation setting. If I leave it on auto, faces are not visible:

1713482129933.png
and if I max out the brightness and contras the background is washed out:

1713482171086.png

I'll leave it this way, because I care about the faces, and the Amcrest cameras are recording the background anyway.

But Reolink really should add a backlight compensation feature.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm. I don't see any backlight compensation setting. If I leave it on auto, faces are not visible:

View attachment 192679

View attachment 192680

I'll leave it this way, because I care about the faces, and the Amcrest cameras are recording the background anyway.

Yep no WDR or BLC, you have to chose one, I chose porch myself...

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 192679

View attachment 192680

ill give them a call tomorrow and let them know...

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I still couldn't find a 15 degree downward facing mount
Just noticed this downward mount. It may or may not work for the ReoLink doorbell. Or one could be made out of wood using the same idea.

wedge.png
It would be nice if the ReoLink doorbell camera lens could be tilted in any direction up to 25 degrees. That would help eliminate some of the sky backlight that so many are experiencing with a south facing entrance.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

View attachment 192679

View attachment 192680

There are additional brightness and shadows adjustments in the advanced display settings if you change 'Color Day Mode' and/or 'Black & White' from Auto to Manual. Maybe playing with that will help....?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still couldn't find a 15 degree downward facing mount
You could reach out to one of the posters in printables.com and have them make one for you. I seem to remember someone here did the same or similar. I think all you need to do is take the STL file to a 3D print shop for them to make you one...

I will say this, I played with putting a wedge (a carpenters pencil) on the top of the mount to tilt the DB down and found it did not work like I had hoped, it cut off some of the heads of those who got close to the DB. With the Hik DB it had a 180 degree vertical view FOV which I could see packages on the ground which was nice. Had someone here suggest putting a mirror up so the DB could see the ground but I never tried that, my concern would be the reflection of IR on the mirror at night. Of course another CAM facing the ground area would work too.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI, If Reolink is mounted below face level (very common for doorbell mount), tilting the camera downward will reduce your chances of catching a person's face, as a person walks up to camera. i.e. When person is close enough, their face will not be in camera view.

For this reason, I actually have my Reolink tilted up slightly to increase my chances of a face detection.