New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered the Reolink Wifi version today to replace my Eviz doorbell which is still working great but the PIR Lens is broken from people pressing it. I put clear packaging tape over it and it is still working fine, but for the $79 price on the Reolink, I thought it would be a good time to change it out. I wish the Reolink FOV was the same as the Eviz.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got my new reolink setup today... very happy.. massive upgrade from my Ezviz DB1.... EXCEPT for ONE massive thing.... this is lack of WDR..... it's actually quite disappointing.
I ordered one today to replace my Eviz. I hope I can live without the WDR. Are you going to keep your Reolink?

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Works great with Home Assistant. No 2-way but after 3 plus years of having a VideoDoorBell (VDB) I really never used the 2-way. Delivery drivers drop and run and rarely even ring the doorbell anymore. We had a family member at our door while we were away and we got our instant push notification on our phones from Home Assistant, we just called them from our phone, lol ;)...I understand this does not work for strangers but I don't care to talk to sales people anyway :)

I have the Doorbell as the default (first) tab when launching the Home Assistant App so it is pretty much as fast as any VDB App, just no 2-way...(FYI, we have both our (wife's and my) phones login into OpenVPN 24/7)
View attachment 165776

So if you ever want to get away from their Cloud App:

@David L I have a similar setup as you. Blue Iris 5, CodeProjectAI, Home Assistant, and getting ready to replace Ezviz with Reolink Doorbell. In Home Assistant I have a Camera tab with 5 cameras and use the sub-streams from the Blue Iris HACS Integration
for Home Assistant. Are you using the Blue Iris HACS and sub-streams? Assume you are also still using RTMP?

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L I have a similar setup as you. Blue Iris 5, CodeProjectAI, Home Assistant, and getting ready to replace Ezviz with Reolink Doorbell. In Home Assistant I have a Camera tab with 5 cameras and use the sub-streams from the Blue Iris HACS Integration
for Home Assistant. Are you using the Blue Iris HACS and sub-streams? Assume you are also still using RTMP?
Yes, you have the same setup. Presently I am resetting up my network in our new home. I have Home Assistant back up, next is to get BI back online. Yesterday, I just temporarily installed my ReoLink WiFi version DB. Just took off the existing DB Button and only mounted using top screw since I may be moving it higher.

Waiting on sun to come up to see what it looks like...
1700311880502.png

Sad to see no camera feeds :( , our cameras are still mounted at our old house
1700313277144.png

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reolink question. I notice it is defaulted to Auto Reboot once a week. I turned that off, but was wondering why Reolink wants to reboot?
Great replacement for my Ezviz DB. Was able to use Ezviz mounting holes for Reolink Wedge. Instead of jumping the mechanical doorbell Transformer and Doorbell terminals I just disconnected them and wired nutted them together. Easy setup in Blue Iris using RTMP and then integrating into Home Assistant.
IMG_0866.jpeg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolink question. I notice it is defaulted to Auto Reboot one a week. I turned that off, but was wondering why Reolink wants to reboot?
Beats me, mines not checked, have not had to reboot since installed this past June.:idk:
Instead of jumping the mechanical doorbell Transformer and Doorbell terminals I just disconnected them and wired nutted them together. Easy setup in Blue Iris using RTMP and then integrating into Home Assistant.
Close to mine; disconnected existing mech. chime altogether and ran transformer secondary to both Reolinks, using the 2 furnished plug-in chimes, 1 paired to side door, 1 paired with different sound to front door.
Using RMTP on 1, RSTP on other, both to BI as a test, no HA.

gsxwezrhw

n3wb
Reaction score
update: i got poe injector today, modified some settings (watermark and onvif) and installed the camera. After this the camera was discoverable by my lorex nvr. it does however load a lot slower than the other cameras in the lorex app. Is this due to the camera itself, the protocol, both, or something else entirely? Overall impressions are good, but it seems like I can't set motion zones or use other features. I will probably hold off on buying a second for my other door for the time being...would be nice if lorex just made a poe doorbell.
After a week I'm a little disappointed with how few features a non-lorex camera has with the lorex nvr. I need to remove the doorbell camera, plug it into a poe injector, and use the reolink app in order to adjust the sensitivity settings of the camera. I also did this to remove the watermark. At first it detected every single car and squirrel on the street. Now it hardly detects a thing. Having to do this several more times to get it right sounds like a major pain. That's what I get for going with "easy" and "cheap" lol.

I have a 2nd front door that will eventually need a camera, so I am considering buying a poe switch and an SD card and plugging it directly into my router. Then I would just use the reolink app to handle the two doorbell cams. Has anyone else done this? The other benefit would be working wireless chimes. The downside would be no 24/7 recording. Thoughts?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After a week I'm a little disappointed with how few features a non-lorex camera has with the lorex nvr. I need to remove the doorbell camera, plug it into a poe injector, and use the reolink app in order to adjust the sensitivity settings of the camera. I also did this to remove the watermark. At first it detected every single car and squirrel on the street. Now it hardly detects a thing. Having to do this several more times to get it right sounds like a major pain. That's what I get for going with "easy" and "cheap" lol.

I have a 2nd front door that will eventually need a camera, so I am considering buying a poe switch and an SD card and plugging it directly into my router. Then I would just use the reolink app to handle the two doorbell cams. Has anyone else done this? The other benefit would be working wireless chimes. The downside would be no 24/7 recording. Thoughts?
I do not use the Phone App so I am not familiar what settings it has/allows. Are you referring to the Phone App when you are saying you need to remove the Doorbell and use the reolink app?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need to remove the doorbell camera, plug it into a poe injector, and use the reolink app in order to adjust the sensitivity settings of the camera. I also did this to remove the watermark.
Using a PC with a browser and logging into the cam's embedded webGUI with the cam's username and password does not allow you to make those same changes?
Have you tried that?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the NVR is what is stopping that communication since NVRs put their CAMs on a separate network/subnet to my understanding...

gsxwezrhw

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not use the Phone App so I am not familiar what settings it has/allows. Are you referring to the Phone App when you are saying you need to remove the Doorbell and use the reolink app?
Sorry for not specifying, I was indeed referring to reolink's phone/mobile app.
Using a PC with a browser and logging into the cam's embedded webGUI with the cam's username and password does not allow you to make those same changes?
Have you tried that?
What David says here is the problem:
I think the NVR is what is stopping that communication since NVRs put their CAMs on a separate network/subnet to my understanding...
I cannot connect directly to the camera using the browser because it's on a subnet.

I was thinking of unplugging my NVR from the router, and the doorbell from the nvr. Then I would plug both into a poe injector without moving anything. Not sure what would happen to the NVR though, or if it would screw up any settings.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I cannot connect directly to the camera using the browser because it's on a subnet.

I was thinking of unplugging my NVR from the router, and the doorbell from the nvr. Then I would plug both into a poe injector without moving anything. Not sure what would happen to the NVR though, or if it would screw up any settings.
You could also give your PC a unique static IP on the same subnet as the NVR's POE cameras and plug that PC into a open NVR POE port to get to the webGUI of the Reolink that's currently on a NVR POE port.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Are you able to put the Reolink on the same network as your NVR?

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Who has their doorbell configured with HomeAssistant? I am curious as to what you have done for your setup? Can you please explain your workflow (maybe even some photos)?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Who has their doorbell configured with HomeAssistant? I am curious as to what you have done for your setup? Can you please explain your workflow (maybe even some photos)?
I do, I do, I do :)

I shared some of my settings in these post:

Now my setup includes Blue Iris though you don't have to use it, you could use the Reolink Integration.

I just recently resetup my DB at our new Home. Just noticed JimStar at Github no longer has his Reolink Integration/Repository so I will have to reset that up. Maybe the Reolink Integration has improved, will have to check it out.

HTH

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Deal. I just ordered the POE doorbell and the linked receiver. If you dont hear back from me assume electrocution.
You might find, like most of us, the chime that comes with the DB is an expectable replacement of the old chime we all grew up to hear/know our whole lives.
But I think you should succeed...