New Router Help: Went from Linksys E3000 to EA7300 - Pulling Hair Out

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OMG what a PITA! Went from 192.168.xxx.xxx to 10.155.xxx.xxx. So of course none of my cameras worked or were even found on the network. Got that sorted finally.

Now my problem is I can not get an outside connection to save my life! I can only get to BI live IF my PC is plugged in directly to the new router. Added port rules, had to move to port 77 since 80 didn't work.

What the heck am I missing!!!????

On the positive side, I double my wireless internet speed.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any reason why didn't you just change new router to 192.168.xxx.xxx?
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I thought the same thing even tried. What was bizarre was the 10.155 portion was locked down by the router, unchangeable. Then my buddy suggested rebooting my cable modem and what a nightmare. (I had early in the day).

Once I did that (had to call spectrum cause it totally locked up the modem) I had to factory reset my new router. And of course, it went back to 192.168.1.1!

I think I was getting conflicts between my cable modem and my new router. Now I have to change the cams again back to 192.168 base! I was able to configure another router to 10.155 so I could have an internal network to at least record.

I'm thinking once I get this all straightened out I may be fine.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
See even after it mysteriously reset back to 192.168. it can not be edited.

Attachments

Alimanya

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to go into to your LAN settings to change the ip address. The screen capture is your DHCP settings page which will be looked to the configured LAN IP address.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is your Spectrum modem also a router? If it has 4 LAN ports on the back, it is. If it is also a router and you run an Ethernet cable from the modem to a WAN /Internet port on your Linksys router not only will you have a 'Double NAT' but your Linksys 'smart' router will override any settings you attempt to make in it's internal LAN settings to resolve potential IP conflicts it sees in the Spectrum modem.

To use a router like your Linksys (and use it's routing functions) with a modem that is ALSO a router, you must put the modem into 'bridge mode' so that it is dumb, no longer performs the routing and provides only Internet to the Linksys and the Linksys provides the routing function with it DHCP server. At that point you can change the Linksys' internal LAN IP, DHCP pool, etc.

What is the exact make and model number of your modem? Is TWC or Spectrum your ISP?

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the exact make and model number of your modem? Is TWC or Spectrum your ISP?
Spectrum .> Motorola Surfboard

I did figure out how to edit the IP on the Router.

BrianZZZ87

n3wb
Reaction score
A super easy solution to this would be to add an alternative IP address to the DVR so you can still connect to the cameras.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I called Spectrum, they simply said it was a pass through. When plugged into port 1, wireless goes away, wireless router takes over.

I'm going to go back to my old wirless router to see if everything works as it did. It's possible there is something in the router that is causing conflicts.

Hard to do this when every one wants to use the connections and then bitches the hole time it's down!

BrianZZZ87

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not following? DVR you mean the BLUE IRIS software running on the PC? PC is already set as a static IP.
Yes the computer that is running blue iris. Once you set a static IP to the computer you can add a secondary one to match your previous address so the cameras can still connect.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is your Spectrum modem also a router? If it has 4 LAN ports on the back, it is. If it is also a router and you run an Ethernet cable from the modem to a WAN /Internet port on your Linksys router not only will you have a 'Double NAT' but your Linksys 'smart' router will override any settings you attempt to make in it's internal LAN settings to resolve potential IP conflicts it sees in the Spectrum modem.

To use a router like your Linksys (and use it's routing functions) with a modem that is ALSO a router, you must put the modem into 'bridge mode' so that it is dumb, no longer performs the routing and provides only Internet to the Linksys and the Linksys provides the routing function with it DHCP server. At that point you can change the Linksys' internal LAN IP, DHCP pool, etc.

Ok, I see I can get into my cable modem now. I found these instructions and going to give it a shot.

Getting a Motorola SBG6580 into “Bridge” mode on TimeWarner Wideband

1. Unplug coax cable from Motorola
  2. Hold down the white reset button on the back panel with a pen for 30s. This resets all settings to factory defaults. The modem will be auto-reconfigured once you plug in the coax cable.
  3. When modem is back on plug in a computer with an Ethernet cable into the modem.
  4. Connect to http://192.168.0.1 and login with “admin” / “motorola”
  5. Now you will make some changes:

• Wireless -> Primary Network -> Disabled
    • Basic -> Setup -> NAPT Mode -> Disabled
    • Basic -> DHCP -> No
    • Advanced -> Options -> Rg Passthrough -> Enable
    • Advanced -> Options -> Passthrough Mac Addresses -> Add WAN MAC address of your router 6. Connect port 1 on the Motorola modem to the WAN port of your router.
  6. Plug the coaxial cable back into the modem and power cycle it.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting. There is a router Bridge mode? Wondering If I should just switch it to that?

See attached file.

Attachments

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Put the Motorola modem in bridge mode, let your Linksys do the routing.
Wow, what PITA! That did it.

I tested with laptop only for internet access via my laptop plugged into the cable modem and made changes. Cable modem rebooted and I think it kept the laptop IP held and not released as plugging in the Linksys provided no internet access at all.

Rebooted Cable modem again and plugged in Linksys as boot was occurring. Then I had internet access.

Checked IP and set port to 80 in Linksys.(I know not recommended by BI, but I ran port 80 fine before.) Ran Webserver check in BI and it failed. I checked the IP BI was telling me was my external IP address to BI and it connected to my back yard camera! I was like now were getting somewhere.

Changed, BI to port 77 and BI passed the test, however, port 77 via my phone said it was a restricted??? Changed to a 4 digit port and success!

I'm only typing this out in the event someone need some history.

Thanks TonyR. You and my buddy were spot on.