New Seagate Surveillance Hard Drive is Noisy

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys... so I upgraded my Blue Iris computer and added a Seagate 6TB surveillance Hard drive so I dont have to delete files every couple of days.... man is this thing loud. I hear it constantly like a muted rapid tapping/clicking noise as I guess its recording 24-7. For anyone on here using these drives.. is this normal? Or should I be concerned? It's starting t drive me nuts.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, not normal. They all make some noise, after all, they are spinning media and have a mechanical seeking read/write head BUT they are very muted. Generally a PC or NVR case will muffle most of the sound it makes. You'd have to get very close in a quiet room to hear them.

I'd return it if it were mine, while still in warranty.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Years ago I purchased 2 1.5Tb drives and one was super quiet and the other imitated maracas being complained.

I tried returning it as it was new but the retailer told me to lodge an RMA, Seagate refused to open an RMA stating that it was normal even though I told them that I had purchased 2 of the same.

Swore I’d never buy another Seagate back then and to be fair to Seagate the drive is still working. Kept my word until last year, my BI machine has a 6Tb and an 8Tb both Seagate but I got them second hand cheap which is my excuse

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yeah i dont ...right now its quiet again... but it was going like crazy for at least the last hour...I mean it doesnt sound like anything is mechanically wrong with the drive...and BI is recording to it just fine.. it just kind of reminds me of the sound of rain hitting a tin roof if you know what I mean lol