New server needed

JimboA1

n3wb
Reaction score
I need a new Server/NVR for my Blue Iris security system but lack the knowledge to make a wise decision. Currently, I am looking at Supermicro SuperServer 5029S-TN2 Mini-Tower Server, Core i7-6700, 8GB, 256GB SSD.
I am currently using a 2u rack server built by a friend, but he is no longer available to keep it operating for me. I have no idea of where to start and would appreciate any help.
wyojim22@gmail.com

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is wrong with your current system about keeping it operating that requires you to get a new computer?

Many of us purchase a refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it. You can pull the cameras from the Swann NVR right into Blue Iris by simply adding in the IP address of the NVR in the camera IP address of Blue Iris and then down about halfway is a camera # and you just select the camera number to bring in.

Try this wiki:

And then make sure you follow EVERY optimization here and it will let you get by with an older machine:

JimboA1

n3wb
Reaction score
What is wrong with your current system about keeping it operating that requires you to get a new computer?

Many of us purchase a refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it. You can pull the cameras from the Swann NVR right into Blue Iris by simply adding in the IP address of the NVR in the camera IP address of Blue Iris and then down about halfway is a camera # and you just select the camera number to bring in.

Try this wiki:

And then make sure you follow EVERY optimization here and it will let you get by with an older machine:

I have been using Blue Iris for about 5 years now, and a friend built me a great server, but it is starting to have some issues with age.
It has always been just on the fringe of running quite high CPU usage, running around 75% to 98%, and lately the core temps have been running at close to 60C temps.
My friend has been maintaining it remotely, and he is no longer able to assist me with issues, so I think it's time to upgrade and get into something better/newer.
Unfortunately, I love the security system, but am completely ignorant about what to do to upgrade.
I want a state of the art system, so I'm not afraid to spend some money for a good reliable system that doesn't bump up against CPU usage and heat issues.
I'm running 12 cams of various makes and have been upgrading to 4K cams from Axis, Lorex, and a few Hik Vision.
I really like the Axis cams, however, they are quite expensive.
I looked at some of the Business class computers that you noted, but I get quite lost in what might be the very best, so I started looking at new computers.
Obviously I get lost there too.
Thanks for your quick reply to my search!!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Higher CPU equals higher corer temps. I suspect none of the optimization is being performed, so buying a new computer and not following the optimization will result in the same issues...just sayin....

A member here is running 50 cameras with an i7 4790 and was at 100% CPU and was looking for recommendations for a new machine. After strong persuasion by many of us, he reluctantly agreed to do every optimization and is now at 30% CPU.

Maybe you just wanna spend some stimulus money on a new computer LOL, but I suspect what you have is more than capable?

What model computer do you have now?

JimboA1

n3wb
Reaction score
Higher CPU equals higher corer temps. I suspect none of the optimization is being performed, so buying a new computer and not following the optimization will result in the same issues...just sayin....

A member here is running 50 cameras with an i7 4790 and was at 100% CPU and was looking for recommendations for a new machine. After strong persuasion by many of us, he reluctantly agreed to do every optimization and is now at 30% CPU.

Maybe you just wanna spend some stimulus money on a new computer LOL, but I suspect what you have is more than capable?

What model computer do you have now?
You were absolutely correct!
I've been adding new cams but failed to set them for direct to disk.
Once I ran the optimizations, my CPU usage dropped to 27% and the temps dropped to 45C.
I can't thank you enough!!!
As to my current model of computer, it's a custom server built on a 2U rack system that my friend built and warned me that no one would would know what to do with it but him, but he did it for free so no complaints here!
He has since got too old to continue maintaining the system.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
60C is not a very high temperature for a CPU by the way. 90C won't even hurt most of them although it might keep you from getting the highest turbo speeds.