New server, primarily to get off of XP, but camera upgrades are possible.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am weighing my options on this server. It currently runs XP with 14 cams. It is a Dell Precision T3500 with a 2.4ghz Xeon W3503 (this CPU supports x64 support but not Quick Sync), 4gb ram, C: 150GB, D: 250GB, E: 1TB, F: 1TB.
I either need to get it off of XP with a W10 license for $120 or I just need to get a new server all together.
It is currently running a copy of Milestone Enterprise that is 5 years out of date. From what I can tell, they don't utilize any fancy features that make MS a necessity. So, they could move their MS license to a new server or they could switch to BI. There is also a chance that they could start upgrading some of the cameras, it would be a shame to under-spec this server for current usage and overload the CPU with a couple of high res cameras. The server currently handles 7 Panasonic NW502s and 7 ACTi 1 channel encoders with analog LPR cameras. The only settings I have is that the LPRs are set on Jpeg 1280x960. The server shows to have 7MB/s incoming data. It runs at about 50% CPU utilization.
It is a very long shot, but those 14 cameras could turn in to 14 4MP (56MP) cameras in a few years.

Which PC would you recommend going with?
Thanks!
John