New setup, 4mp DS-2CD2042WD-I setup questions/feedback.

mbw

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, new guy here. Read a lot of posts to learn what I could.

The Setup:
I have four DS-2CD2042WD-I 4mm cams and two DS-2CD2442FWD-IW 2.8mm cameras and some older dlinks. I am using SecuritySpy on my old 8 core mac pro. I am running motion detection on the mac via security spy, and thus limiting the cams to 2.1mp 1080p @ 15fps high quality. (due to cpu usage). I bought all the cameras off amazon. They all have "BBWR" serial numbers. Two have V5.4.1 build 160525 and two have V5.4.3 build 160902. (and I havent checked the box cams, 2442's yet, they are not online.)

1. Motion Detection Question
What are some good ways to tune in expert mode? percentage and sensitivity? I have started playing with using the on camera motion detection (As security spy beta will use that now and use 0% cpu as long as you have no preview windows open).

2. Camera Settings
The 2042's are my outside cameras. I have them mostly stock, just changed PAL->NTSC, change I-Frame interval to 20 (For security spy motion detection). I know these are WDR cameras, but honestly turning WDR on doesn't seem to do much and the one that I left it on overnight seemed to be much more grainy and it also failed to switch to night mode. The image was dark, i rebooted the cam and then it was good, looked like the IR light just didn't come on. Any general tips on what to turn on with these cameras? They have lots of things to tweak but seem pretty good out of the box. Links to good threads are fine also, im willing to read/research all of this.

3. Advise on bitrates/framerates/res
These things look amazing in 4mp, but the cpu required is intense. If I can get security spy setup to use on-camera motion detection I could probably use 4mp all the time. What do people tend to compromise on? Lower frame rate? Quality? (I like the quality on 'higher' because otherwise its pretty hard to make out a face). How much bitrate is correct for which resolutions/quality?

Thanks for any comments/ideas/feedback. I spent the last week upgrading my home network, cable modem (ARRIS Surfboard SB6190), router (Peplink Pepwave Surf SOHO MK3 -GREAT SECURITY FEATURES), wifi (TP-Link AC1750 dual band, great features), 3 new gigb switches, some with POE, and running CAT6 all over my attic and between the new switches. Im exhausted but my network and cameras are a lot of fun.

Last edited: