New Setup Advice Wanted

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sooo as way of hopefully summarising what I need to buy.... now that is has got totally out of hand! (You guys must have shared in Dahua or something!).

In my basket I have:
1 x IPC-Color4k-T - Rear Garden Door
1 x IPC-Color4k-T180 - Front drive overview
2 x IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 - Front door and rear side passage
3 x IPC-Color4k-X - 2 x Front Drive (still torn between these and the T but not a big fan of the dome wall mount) and 1 x for rear garden
1 x NVR16CH-AI (upped from the original 8ch for only $20 seemed worth it for the future)
2 x PFA152-E Pole mounts (presumably the 4k-X mounts direct to this and doesnt need a junction box?)
5 x PFA130-E Junction box

I would likely mount the T180 on the soffet as its up high for overview, saves a bit on buying the pole mount and the wall mount (every little helps)

I am happy to install the HDD in to the NVR myself and source separately (something I am good at - IT / Networking).
Need to source a suitable PoE switch, will likely get a ubiquiti one as I have a lot of their kit already.

Does the above list sound right? If so I might fire off a DM to Andy and see what he comes back with.
Be aware that some of Ubiquity's POE switch's don't adhere to the 802.3AT or AF standard, thus they won't properly power cameras.

Reaction score
Be aware that some of Ubiquity's POE switch's don't adhere to the 802.3AT or AF standard, thus they won't properly power cameras.
I am not bound to the Ubiquiti stuff and likely won't gain anything by using it apart from easy firmware updates.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what to use? I went for a non-PoE NVR as the NVR will likely be in my office, whereas I would like to keep all the cabling in the loft/attic to keep things tidy. I have onward connectivity from the loft/attic so network connectivity isnt an issue. Temps in the loft typically can get to 40 to 45C in summer and -5 to -10C so will need to ensure the switch is rated for such extremes on those cold snaps and heat waves.

I work in networking / telecoms so am familiar with commercial grade switching hardware, not so much the home stuff. I'd rather not have a bit 1RU switch sat in my loft whirring away but if that is what is needed so be it.

Reaction score
I use an IPCAMPOWER 24 port switch. I have two of these and have not had any issues.

Thanks, it looks like it will do the job, though I think I would be worried about it getting too hot in the loft as it is fanless? Nice that its 24 10/100 ports as that is all you need!

I found this dumb switch which has fans and has a rated operating temp of 0C to 50C which sounds not quite ideal but good enough (will have to keep an eye on it during cold snaps maybe) - not sure if I can post links to other sites but given this site doesnt sell switches I guess its ok - (posted the wrong link first time)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I can always swap stuff around in the future if I feel its not meeting the needs I have. I imagine you guys who are super in to it are constantly fiddling with things to get stuff 'just right'.
I haven't even started to think about all the camera tuning required, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it once the system is all setup and running.
For many of us, this went from wanting good surveillance and turned into a hobby. Worse things we could spend our time and money on LOL.

I could have stopped fiddling with mine two years ago, but I am always tweaking and changing things trying to get even better performance.

Or a new camera comes out and we buy it during the sale LOL. And then we move cameras around.

And that is the nice thing about not buying all fixed lens cameras. Having a variety, especially the varifocals, allows you to put them into new places.

Welcome to the club!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Netgear Prosafe models have never failed me over the yrs.
I've had one outdoors, in an enclosure, that has survived 2yrs with -6f temps to 110f highs. Just keeps trucking along.
It's fanless.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, I have sent Andy an email and will see what he comes back with.

I'll definitely be back to show off the install once its done and I am sure I will have loads of questions before and after that!

Your knowledge and insight has been invaluable.:thumb: