New Setup Help

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a long time lurker, but first time poster. I have been planning my install but need some guidance from the experts. I want to cover the entire exterior of my home, including my yard. Budget is flexible, but hoping to keep it under $1500.

I am planning to run a 16 channel NVR. I should not need 16 cameras to cover the exterior of my home and yard, but I do want to have the ability to add cameras inside my house in the future.

After reading many, many posts, the LTS products, available with an assist from Milkisbad, appear to be highly rated. Is that right? They are rebranded Hikivision, with LTS software running the NVR, is that right?

I have been looking at covering entrance/points of intrusion with 4mp domes (CMIP7442) and everything else with 3mp turrets (CMIP3032). I am tempted to go with 4mp turrets, but I do need good low light coverage. I am open to suggestions...

I have attached a survey of my property, and labeled various areas.

I would appreciate input in NVR selection, camera selection, and camera placement.

I am happy to post pictures of my home/yard if that would help.

Thank you.

Jim
View attachment Survey 8.27.pdf

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Milkisbad is very highly regarded, screw domes outdoors.. ask him on NVR as he knows his products.

Use https://ipvm.com/calculator to figure out what lens sizes to use, keep PPF > 100 @ night at your distances..

Avoid 2.8mm cameras outside, use as much zoom as you can possibly get away with.. focus on choke points and forget wide angles.

Put a 2x6 into a bucket full of sand/rocks and now you have a portable test platform to try camera placement before you perminently install.. let cameras run for a day or two on a rig so you can see its view throughout the day/night and make sure your satisfied with the location before making unreversible changes.. dont forget to walk test and pretend to be a buglar to see how it actually does with the lighting and settings.