New system

stacks

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm obviously new here but I've been following the forum for a couple of years and I would like to create a system for my home business. I'm currently in a lawsuit and the other side is messing with my cars/truck at my house. I have like a 3 acre property with the house on the first acre in the front. I bought some cheap off the shelf stuff after it happened but I rather have a more advanced system and would like the communities input. My current system is a reolink ptz linked up to their small solar panel. It does it's job fine but it doesn't really zoom and doesn't track objects

I've watched a bunch of videos on here and youtube and I'm impressed with the Dahuas capabilities on AI tracking and zooming in. Potentially, I'm going to have to assume that I'm going to use the evidence in court so I don't know how much zoom is overkill but I was looking at their PTZs.

Also, I wanted to buy a NAS and use that as a DVR. I read that the QNAPs get free camera licenses. I've never set up mounting or a PoE system but I think it would be easy to run a line from the chimmney or just get a professional to install it.

I'm open to recommendations/discussions on camera models, NAS/DVR, and off site backup. If anyone has any suggestions to improve I'd love to hear those too. Thanks for having me here.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are open to computer DVR solutions (and obviously you are), I would strongly recommend BlueIris. It's only $55 if you buy from this site and is an extremely robust software solution that is actively being developed and updated. You should plan on getting enough hard drive space in the computer itself to satisfy your needs. Moving files to a NAS (I realize this is different than using the NAS itself as the DVR which is what you initially were looking for) after they are recorded is redundant and a waste of resources because you aren't trying to archive this footage for long term storage. Just get large enough drive to have enough local storage to satisfy your "I want to keep footage for x days" goals.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, reolinks will be useless at night for you.

Take a look at this thread.

stacks

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to buy blueiris and was only looking at tech that was compatible with it. After reading more about the recommended computer specs on the blueiris site, how much do you think having or not having a GPU matters?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm obviously new here but I've been following the forum for a couple of years and I would like to create a system for my home business. I'm currently in a lawsuit and the other side is messing with my cars/truck at my house. I have like a 3 acre property with the house on the first acre in the front. I bought some cheap off the shelf stuff after it happened but I rather have a more advanced system and would like the communities input. My current system is a reolink ptz linked up to their small solar panel. It does it's job fine but it doesn't really zoom and doesn't track objects

I've watched a bunch of videos on here and youtube and I'm impressed with the Dahuas capabilities on AI tracking and zooming in. Potentially, I'm going to have to assume that I'm going to use the evidence in court so I don't know how much zoom is overkill but I was looking at their PTZs.

Also, I wanted to buy a NAS and use that as a DVR. I read that the QNAPs get free camera licenses. I've never set up mounting or a PoE system but I think it would be easy to run a line from the chimmney or just get a professional to install it.

I'm open to recommendations/discussions on camera models, NAS/DVR, and off site backup. If anyone has any suggestions to improve I'd love to hear those too. Thanks for having me here.
Welcome @stacks

Wittaj has done a good job with that thread.. do check it out..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to buy blueiris and was only looking at tech that was compatible with it. After reading more about the recommended computer specs on the blueiris site, how much do you think having or not having a GPU matters?
You do not need a GPU at all for BI. It only becomes valuable if you want to start using DeepStack AI, but if you have cameras with AI built-in, then your reliance on DeepStack is a lot less.

In fact if you have an older system (3rd or 4th generation) sitting around collecting dust, it can work just fine. Folks are running in excess of 30 cameras on a 4th gen at 30% CPU.

You just need to follow every optimization in the wiki.

stacks

n3wb
Reaction score
I love the responses.

I have a 6th gen i7 gathering dust so I'm sold on that idea. What else would I need besides the camera and software? Only a PoE thingy? to power and transfer data?

The dahua with long focal length are truly impressive. I don't think I understood it before seeing the 1080p video look better than 4k video. I'm leaning more towards 49225 or better. Do you guys recommend anything higher end than the 49225? Is analytics+ worth it or is it just a marginal improvement?

4MP Starlight Network PTZ with Analytics+ – Dahua Technology USA Inc (dahuasecurity.com)

These are basically double+ the price of the 49225 is there any value in getting one vs the 49225? I'm not seeing it personally but that's why I'm here asking questions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh an i7 6th gen will rock.

You would need a POE+ switch if you plan to do PTZ.

We recommend a 2nd NIC for the computer - put all the cameras and POE switches on one NIC that does not have internet access. Then the other NIC is used to give the computer internet access.

The 4MP 49425 you referenced is the same camera as the 49225, except it is 4MP on the same sensor as the 2MP 49225, so unless you have stadium quality light, the 2MP will outperform at night because the 4MP would need double the light. The Analytics + doesn't really mean anything.

I would suggest using the links I provided for each camera in that thread. They are sold by a reputable dealer here @EMPIRETECANDY . The 49225 and the 49425 PTZ that you linked will not come with autotracking if you purchase it anywhere else. And do not update the firmware as Dahua removed autotracking in future updates.

Andy's prices are very competitive and probably cheaper than you can find elsewhere. His cameras are Dahua OEM, which means they are Dahua, but you just are not paying for the logo. But some of the cams I have bought from him came with Dahua logos - it all depends on how many he purchases of each camera in bulk to have in stock.

stacks

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the correct one.

You can absolutely add another NIC to an HP Elitedesk (unless you have used up all the available PCI slots already). Doesn't have to be the dual NIC variety. You already have one ethernet port in the computer, so you just buy an ethernet card. It just a card that plugs into an available PCI slot.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh that isn't ideal for BI. The T on the processor means the chip is designed to use less power while also having less performance than the standard chips without any letters. So this CPU will favor using less power over anything else.

But since you have it sitting around, go ahead and try it. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Just make sure you follow all the optimizations in the wiki to try to keep the CPU demand down.

In this case, you would want to get either a USB to wifi adapter or USB to ethernet adapter. You should only use this computer for BI, and put all the cameras on the ethernet port this has and then use the USB to allow the computer to access the internet when needed. Not ideal, but sometimes we gotta work with what we have.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
How many cams do you have. or plan to have. Try get get the notion out of your head about leaning too hard on the PTZ solution as the "be all-end all"
I know my first of 18 cameras was a 2mp PTZ Hikvsion(Jidetech), and I was trying to do too much with it. You need complementary cams to help the ptz.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My most useable law enforcement data comes from my 5442as-LED 6mm camera, and my 5442-ze out in the back parking lot.
and the front lot i have a 5241e-z12e for plates, and a 2231-ZS turret.
The PTZ is shite for anything except a static cam as it turns out for my property.