New system

Cbrehm

n3wb
Reaction score
Live in the boonies int he US. Have AT&T on iPhone with a max of 100gig per month data on hot spot settings per phone.
Can not run cables. I repeat NO CABLES. Have power everywhere.
Do not want to waste Phones Data on Cameras unless we checking one out,
One iPhone is dedicated to my computer by USB cable as a hot spot,
Wife wants 7-8 Cameras. Will install computer with 4TB HD and Blue Iris software.
What cameras/router/antennas etc. do I need ? Please be specific. Would like some cameras if not all to be PTZ. Need at least 2 PTZ for Karen neighbor killing the mallards on the lake.
No Budget, Wife wants she gets, But don't want to spend over $200. per camera.
Thanks all

Attachments

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you really can't run any wires, then there is little reason to even get started.

Wifi cameras are out there, but they generally a terrible and you can't add many of them before they will overwhelm most wifi networks. Certainly getting 7-8 working nicely together will be tough. Add to that the requirement that several of them be PTZ cameras with sufficient reach to record activities on the lake over 200' away with enough detail and clarity that you can identify individuals, all while staying within a $200 per camera budget, and you are basically asking for the impossible.....

It's time to revisit your scope for this project IMHO.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above

Wireless cameras and add PTZ to it are not a good combination...Even if you have a strong connection, it is problematic. 8 cameras on a consumer router will bring it to a crawl.

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent, especially once you start adding distance. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more cameras you add, the bigger the potential for issues.

Many people unfortunately think wifi cameras are the answer and they are not. People will say what about Ring and Nest - well that is another whole host of issues that we will not discuss here LOL, but they are not streaming 24/7, only when you pull up the app. And then we see all the people come here after that system failed them because their wifi couldn't keep up when the perp came by. For streaming 24/7 to something like Blue Iris, forget about it.

If you do not want to run ethernet wires for data/power (POE), then you need to consider adding ubiquity nano-stations (dedicated, encrypted, RF link that is a dedicated point-to-point link) to the mix or if all the electric is on the same house panel, then a powerline adapter that runs data over your existing electric wiring.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thing to remember is that this is the real world, not a Hollywood movie. They use their special effects department and full frame 35mm cameras after carefully setting up the lighting to get those wonderful videos they portray, especially the "zoom and enhance" stuff. A camera to get detail at 200 feet will need a 40x zoom lens or larger and they are far more than $200. Throw in the lack of lighting and it gets even worse. Again, real world, not Hollywood.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Live in the boonies int he US. Have AT&T on iPhone with a max of 100gig per month data on hot spot settings per phone.
Can not run cables. I repeat NO CABLES. Have power everywhere.
Do not want to waste Phones Data on Cameras unless we checking one out,
One iPhone is dedicated to my computer by USB cable as a hot spot,
Wife wants 7-8 Cameras. Will install computer with 4TB HD and Blue Iris software.
What cameras/router/antennas etc. do I need ? Please be specific. Would like some cameras if not all to be PTZ. Need at least 2 PTZ for Karen neighbor killing the mallards on the lake.
No Budget, Wife wants she gets, But don't want to spend over $200. per camera.
Thanks all
Hi @Cbrehm

"Can not run cables. I repeat NO CABLES. Have power everywhere."

Are you renting?
What is the reason / logic for no cables?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1663797878429.png

Looks like you should be able to use Powerline adapters to the garage building, and to the dock house building ..

If you have power to the dock you can also try that there ..

Also look up the various wireless bridge tech .. posted in many threads here .. ( search ubiquiti wireless bridge nano station iirc )

Cbrehm

n3wb
Reaction score
We own, but all power is buried and no overhead wires, Wife says I can not trench the yard as she has it the way she wants it.
Never heard of power line adapters.
Looks like you should be able to use Powerline adapters to the garage building, and to the dock house building ..
We have main power disconnect and 4 distribution panels, not sure if those would work

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess buy one and try. They say powerline adapters are only good for circuits on the same breaker, although I have tested them lots of different ways, including one where the outlet was in one panel and the the other outlet was on the other and it worked.

If that doesn't work, then go with the nanostation. Wifi will be too problematic at those distances.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We own, but all power is buried and no overhead wires, Wife says I can not trench the yard as she has it the way she wants it.
Never heard of power line adapters.
We have main power disconnect and 4 distribution panels, not sure if those would work
Seems like you can setup wired cameras on the main house to a PoE switch .. and extend your LAN using a nanostation to the garage if powerline does not work .. and also to the boat / dock house ..

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Wife says I can not trench the yard as she has it the way she wants it.
Cameras mounted on the buildings will not require trenching. The only trenching that is going to be require is to get conduit installed from the main house to the garage and the dock. Running conduit to the to the garage seems to be a short distance and probably wouldn't tear anything important up. Getting down to the dock is a major endeavor, but the trench is going to be running low voltage wiring and doesn't need to be put in as deep as regular power lines. In general, trenches are put in all the time and "disappear" with time and a little grass seed. Plus once the conduit is in, it can be used for other things as well. Need better Wifi at the dock? It will be easy once the conduit is in. I guess it will all depend on how important these ducks are to your wife. In your OP, it seemed like this was a high priority for her.

This is of course assuming the powerline option doesn't end up working well for your situation.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
no trenching
I can't remember how many of these can beam at the centralized one off the computer.
I have a pair in operation since 2020. just like a wire. even have tree leaves blocking clean line of sight.
Kept working even after the light pole cracked and fell against the building....and the beam was off line of sight by 30 degrees.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So “no budget,” but “like to spend $200?” You’re not even going to find a ptz for that, let alone a wireless one, and good quality. Power line adapter is going to be out if you have subpanels at each structure. So you’re left with wireless, probably in the microwave end unless you have wide open line of sight to every location. Preconfigured bridges are affordable and dependent on your level of time, work and skills, easy. Last week I put one in for same scenario, it was $150. That only gives you 1 port, so add a POE switch to each location that will have multiple cameras on 1 structure.

But again, if money is no problem, why not just hire a pro to do it?

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you can't deal with drilling exterior holes, you'll just end up with a low quality network either wifi or power line kludge. Even surface mounting Ubiquity USIP setup you still have to drill an external hole.

any camera under $200 in PTZ is not going to last, have poor range and are the cheap consumer kind that requires a constant internet connection for them to operate. Real PTZ cameras start in the $2,000 range for your application.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Note:

".. wants 7-8 Cameras.
Would like some cameras if not all to be PTZ.
Need at least 2 PTZ for Karen neighbor killing the mallards on the lake.
No Budget, .. , But don't want to spend over $200. per camera. "

SO, on average $200 per camera .. and 2 cameras PTZ .. 7-8 cameras - Thus $1400-1600 for cameras.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
for an RFIP Network:
For a good 5Ghz network
base station:
tplink er605
ChannelMaster CM-3090
Ubiquiti AMO-5G13
LTU-Rocket-US

each wireless node:
LTU-PRO-US
UB-AM
I usually build my own outdoor switch. But here is one that would work:
A typical PTZ used for locations in the woods:

Hikvision DS-2DF8C842IXS-AELW

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for an RFIP Network:
For a good 5Ghz network
base station:
tplink er605
ChannelMaster CM-3090
Ubiquiti AMO-5G13
LTU-Rocket-US

each wireless node:
LTU-PRO-US
UB-AM
I usually build my own outdoor switch. But here is one that would work:
A typical PTZ used for locations in the woods:

Hikvision DS-2DF8C842IXS-AELW
Perfect PTZ .. just what I need .. 1/1.2" sensor .. even with window wiper ..
( FYI - when I have time, I try to include the camera's data so we have a reference, sometimes webpages and weblinks get moved or removed .. very frustrating to me when I can no longer lookup models .. )

DS-2DF8C842IXS-AELW
8 MP 42x Network IR Speed Dome

DS-2DF8C842IXS-AELW(T2)
DS-2DF8C842IXS-AELW(T2)DS-2DF8C842IXS-AELW(T2)

Hikvision’s DS-2DF8C842IXS-AELW(T2) 8 MP 42xNetwork IR Speed Dome adopts a 1/1.2" progressive scan CMOS chip. With the 42x optical zoom lens, the camera offers more details over expansive areas. This camera can be widely used for wide high-definition ranges such as rivers, forests, roads, railways, airports, ports, squares, parks, scenic spots, stations, large venues, etc.

1664126185759.png

Attachments